Malazan Empire: Non-fantasy or sci-fi books set in Canada - Malazan Empire

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Non-fantasy or sci-fi books set in Canada

#1 User is offline   Andorion 

• God
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:All things Malazan, sundry sci-fi and fantasy, history, Iron Maiden

Posted 12 December 2017 - 01:01 PM

So I have another weird reading challenge for 2018 and one of the book categories is:

"Books set in a country you would like to visit"

I kind of fixed on Canada, and I am looking for non-fantasy or scifi books set in Canada. I know we have a bunch of Canadians here, so recommendations would be welcome.

#2 User is offline   Puck 

• Mausetöter

Posted 12 December 2017 - 01:27 PM

I'm not Canadian, but I read and enjoyed Joseph Boyden's The Orenda last year. It's a historical rather than contemporary book, and I remember SE talking about it somewhere at one point. In connection to the depiction of violence, I think. Pretty sure Boyden writes exclusively books set in Canada, so may be worth a look.

Also, what challenge is it? Sounds familiar.

Edit: Also, SE's own This River Awakens is set in Canada.

This post has been edited by Puck: 12 December 2017 - 01:46 PM

Puck was not birthed, she was cleaved from a lava flow and shaped by a fierce god's hands. - [worry]
Ninja Puck, Ninja Puck, really doesn't give a fuck..? - [King Lear]

#3 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 12 December 2017 - 02:19 PM

EDIT:

Oh crap, I TOTALLY misread the initial post and thought you were looking for Fantasy SF that was in Canada.

Sorry.

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 12 December 2017 - 04:51 PM

"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#4 User is offline   Salt-Man Z 

• My pen halts, though I do not
  • View gallery

Posted 12 December 2017 - 03:36 PM

SE's When She's Gone is also set in Canada, and is like 98% non-fantasy.
"Here is light. You will say that it is not a living entity, but you miss the point that it is more, not less. Without occupying space, it fills the universe. It nourishes everything, yet itself feeds upon destruction. We claim to control it, but does it not perhaps cultivate us as a source of food? May it not be that all wood grows so that it can be set ablaze, and that men and women are born to kindle fires?"
―Gene Wolfe, The Citadel of the Autarch

#5 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 12 December 2017 - 03:46 PM

Doctorow does have SOMEONE COMES TO TOWN, set in toronto, but it's definitely fantasy.

Consider author John Farrow's EMILE CINQ-MARS murder mystery trilo. Three books set in and around Montreal. It's very well written for an audience not familiar with the city and area, but very much rooted in the local French/English culture, recent history (Biker wars, First Nation unrest and blockades, separatist efforts). Book 1 amazon linky https://www.amazon.c...w/dp/1443405280
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#6 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 12 December 2017 - 07:41 PM

Few know this, but the novel that inspired Casablanca is actually set in Moose Jaw.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#7 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 12 December 2017 - 07:56 PM

View Postworry, on 12 December 2017 - 07:41 PM, said:

Few know this, but the novel that inspired Casablanca is actually set in Moose Jaw.

That was actually CASABLANCA 2: MOROCCAN BOOGALOO, and it starred Bob & Doug Mackenzie, Eh.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#8 User is offline   Andorion 

• God
  • Interests:All things Malazan, sundry sci-fi and fantasy, history, Iron Maiden

Posted 13 December 2017 - 04:00 AM

View PostPuck, on 12 December 2017 - 01:27 PM, said:

I'm not Canadian, but I read and enjoyed Joseph Boyden's The Orenda last year. It's a historical rather than contemporary book, and I remember SE talking about it somewhere at one point. In connection to the depiction of violence, I think. Pretty sure Boyden writes exclusively books set in Canada, so may be worth a look.

Also, what challenge is it? Sounds familiar.

Edit: Also, SE's own This River Awakens is set in Canada.

Thanks for this Puck, this author is very interesting. I liked the blurbs of both Orenda and Three Day Road.

The challenge is one my brother made up. He think I read too much fantasyPosted Image
He gave me a classic challenge last year.

View PostQuickTidal, on 12 December 2017 - 02:19 PM, said:

EDIT:

Oh crap, I TOTALLY misread the initial post and thought you were looking for Fantasy SF that was in Canada.

Sorry.

Posted Image No problem QT. As for Canadian fantasy, apart from SE and GGKay, who else is there?

View PostSalt-Man Z, on 12 December 2017 - 03:36 PM, said:

SE's When She's Gone is also set in Canada, and is like 98% non-fantasy.

I considered SE, but for the purpose of the challenge which is to read non-spec fic stuff and explore new authors, decided to exclude him.

View PostAbyss, on 12 December 2017 - 03:46 PM, said:

Doctorow does have SOMEONE COMES TO TOWN, set in toronto, but it's definitely fantasy.

Consider author John Farrow's EMILE CINQ-MARS murder mystery trilo. Three books set in and around Montreal. It's very well written for an audience not familiar with the city and area, but very much rooted in the local French/English culture, recent history (Biker wars, First Nation unrest and blockades, separatist efforts). Book 1 amazon linky https://www.amazon.c...w/dp/1443405280

Interesting. Listed. I can always use a good detective novel.

#9 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 13 December 2017 - 04:04 AM

I thought of one that's not a joke answer! It is YA though: Anne of Green Gables. I never read its sequels, but it's quite good as a standalone.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users