• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

ICE interview from Nov 2017 includes 3rd book working title

#1 User is offline   Salt-Man Z 

• My pen halts, though I do not
  • View gallery
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 06 December 2017 - 06:27 PM

Just stumbled across this interview from last week, and don't see that anyone's posted it yet:

http://www.fantasybo...an-c-esslemont/

Mostly questions about DHL, and ICE also gives the working title for the third Ascendancy book: Kellanved's Reach.
"Here is light. You will say that it is not a living entity, but you miss the point that it is more, not less. Without occupying space, it fills the universe. It nourishes everything, yet itself feeds upon destruction. We claim to control it, but does it not perhaps cultivate us as a source of food? May it not be that all wood grows so that it can be set ablaze, and that men and women are born to kindle fires?"
―Gene Wolfe, The Citadel of the Autarch

#2 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 06 December 2017 - 06:38 PM

Currently, the Path to Ascendancy series stands as a trilogy (sort of).

It may expand, but that will all depend upon its execution and reception.

In other words, if it works and I enjoy it as much as the readers, then there is a chance it could expand.

YYYAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#3 User is offline   nacht 

• Mortal Sword

Posted 06 December 2017 - 07:00 PM

The Path to Ascendancy has been amazing.
it is like a new ICE (I think it is just the fun aspect he was talking about that makes a huge difference), and Kellenved/Dancer duo is close to beating my all time favorite of Tehol/Bugg.

#4 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 06 December 2017 - 07:03 PM

View PostSalt-Man Z, on 06 December 2017 - 06:27 PM, said:

the working title for the third Ascendancy book: Kellanved's Reach.

Oooooh, I like that title!

View PostAbyss, on 06 December 2017 - 06:38 PM, said:

In other words, if it works and I enjoy it as much as the readers, then there is a chance it could expand.

YYYAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I can haz more than three books ICE? Oh man, that's awesome! These books have been a joy thus far!

EDIT: Fantastic interview! Really enjoyed that.

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 06 December 2017 - 07:14 PM

"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#5 User is offline   champ 

• Omnipotent Overseer of the Universe

Posted 06 December 2017 - 07:46 PM

I love that ICE has found his voice now with DL and DHL, both books are so god damn good! PLEASE give us more than a trilogy!!

Good interview! I think it was said above, you can tell he is having fun writing these books.

Tehol said:

'Yet my heart breaks for a naked hen.'

#6 User is offline   Nevyn 

• Shield Anvil

Posted 06 December 2017 - 08:41 PM

ICE: Yes, Surly was right up there, as is Dancer of course. I must say that I’m rather more concerned about getting the established ‘facts’ right. Continuity between Steve and I is my bugbear. He may have shot off one line in one of his novels that I missed, or don’t remember, changing a character’s backstory! Oh well, there’s bound to be some measure of disjointedness between our differing visions / memories of things.

He may also have shot of one or two lines that creates wildly different expectations of a continent to what you plan to render ... Posted Image
Tatts early in SH game: Hmm, so if I'm liberal I should have voted Nein to make sure I'm president? I'm not that selfish

Tatts later in SAME game: I'm going to be a corrupt official. I have turned from my liberal ways, and now will vote against the pesky liberals. Viva la Fascism.
When Venge's turn comes, he will get a yes from Mess, Dolmen, Nevyn and Venge but a no from the 3 fascists and me. **** with my Government, and i'll **** with yours

#7 User is offline   Esa1996 

• Fist

Posted 07 December 2017 - 12:00 AM

View PostNevyn, on 06 December 2017 - 08:41 PM, said:

ICE: Yes, Surly was right up there, as is Dancer of course. I must say that I'm rather more concerned about getting the established 'facts' right. Continuity between Steve and I is my bugbear. He may have shot off one line in one of his novels that I missed, or don't remember, changing a character's backstory! Oh well, there's bound to be some measure of disjointedness between our differing visions / memories of things.

He may also have shot of one or two lines that creates wildly different expectations of a continent to what you plan to render ... Posted Image

:p Indeed. Assail was quite different what I'm sure pretty much everyone expected it to be.

Anyway, I liked the interview. I really hope he extends it beyond a trilogy assuming he has the material for it (Which I think he does have. The Empire wasn't built in a day or a book). Kellanved's Reach doesn't have quite the same ring to it IMO as Dancer's Lament and Deadhouse Landing so I hope he changes it at some point. Even if he doesn't I'll most likely end up getting used to it though.

#8 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 07 December 2017 - 01:48 AM

I don't really like the word "reach" there for some reason. It has multiple meanings, and makes sense in all of them, so I think I get what it's going for...it just doesn't have that certain something.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#9 User is offline   Salt-Man Z 

• View gallery

Posted 07 December 2017 - 02:53 AM

View Postworry, on 07 December 2017 - 01:48 AM, said:

I don't really like the word "reach" there for some reason. It has multiple meanings, and makes sense in all of them, so I think I get what it's going for...it just doesn't have that certain something.

See, I think the "Reach" works, but "Kellanved's" is rather...inelegant. Something like "Shadow's Reach" rolls off the tongue much nicer.
"Here is light. You will say that it is not a living entity, but you miss the point that it is more, not less. Without occupying space, it fills the universe. It nourishes everything, yet itself feeds upon destruction. We claim to control it, but does it not perhaps cultivate us as a source of food? May it not be that all wood grows so that it can be set ablaze, and that men and women are born to kindle fires?"

#10 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 07 December 2017 - 03:15 AM

I think they just don't work together? Shadow's Reach sounds fine to me. Kellanved's Bollocks rolls off the tongue too. Maybe it's a syllabic thing.

#11 User is offline   Whisperzzzzzzz 

• Reaper's Fail

Posted 07 December 2017 - 01:11 PM

Kellanved's Dreaded Undead works. BRING ON THE T'LAN IMASS.

#12 User is offline   champ 

• Omnipotent Overseer of the Universe

Posted 07 December 2017 - 02:26 PM

What we really need is a ship back on the front cover... I'll be happy with Kellanved's Beach...

Tehol said:

'Yet my heart breaks for a naked hen.'

#13 User is offline   Nevyn 

• Shield Anvil

Posted 07 December 2017 - 03:14 PM

The interview had a copy paste error

the full title is Kellanved's reach around
Tatts early in SH game: Hmm, so if I'm liberal I should have voted Nein to make sure I'm president? I'm not that selfish

Tatts later in SAME game: I'm going to be a corrupt official. I have turned from my liberal ways, and now will vote against the pesky liberals. Viva la Fascism.
When Venge's turn comes, he will get a yes from Mess, Dolmen, Nevyn and Venge but a no from the 3 fascists and me. **** with my Government, and i'll **** with yours

#14 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 07 December 2017 - 03:49 PM

You know what? I just assumed that the title was two-fold, Kell's metaphorical "reach"....but also possibly a place. A "Reach" in geography (a length of a stream or river, usually suggesting a level, uninterrupted stretch.).
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#15 User is offline   Salt-Man Z 

• View gallery

Posted 07 December 2017 - 04:57 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 07 December 2017 - 03:49 PM, said:

You know what? I just assumed that the title was two-fold, Kell's metaphorical "reach"....but also possibly a place. A "Reach" in geography (a length of a stream or river, usually suggesting a level, uninterrupted stretch.).

Yeah, that's how I liked to read it, too.

It just feels clumsy in my mouth (ha ha) though the more I think about it I'm not sure why. It has four syllables like both DL and DHL, and it shares the same meter with Dancer's Lament, with the the stresses being on the first and fourth syllables. (DAN•cer's la•MENT / KELL•an•ved's•REACH)

#16 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 07 December 2017 - 07:34 PM

Maybe I just don't like the geographic meaning. It's like Martha's Vineyard.

#17 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 07 December 2017 - 07:43 PM

View Postworry, on 07 December 2017 - 07:34 PM, said:

Maybe I just don't like the geographic meaning. It's like Martha's Vineyard.

You shut your filthy mouth about Martha's Vineyard!

Wait, what's a Martha's Vineyard?

#18 User is offline   Esa1996 

• Fist

Posted 07 December 2017 - 09:10 PM

I agree, Shadow's Reach rolls of the tongue much better.

#19 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 07 December 2017 - 09:29 PM

Martha's Vineyard is a New England resort island that our presidents traditionally vacation on. Think Amity Island from Jaws (literally).

#20 User is offline   Nevyn 

• Shield Anvil

Posted 07 December 2017 - 10:03 PM

View PostSalt-Man Z, on 07 December 2017 - 04:57 PM, said:

View PostQuickTidal, on 07 December 2017 - 03:49 PM, said:

Yeah, that's how I liked to read it, too.

It just feels clumsy in my mouth (ha ha) though the more I think about it I'm not sure why. It has four syllables like both DL and DHL, and it shares the same meter with Dancer's Lament, with the the stresses being on the first and fourth syllables. (DAN•cer's la•MENT / KELL•an•ved's•REACH)

Isn't it more of a stress on 1,3, AND 4 for this one?

I think the issue with reach is simply that while it can work with multiple interpretations (verb, location, description of a sphere of influence), it doesn't really spark the imagination for any of them. So it can be fun for playing at meanings, But for any individual meaning it doesn't call it to mind as artfully as something else.

I mean, I don't know if it is appropriate to the subject, but personally I like Kellanved's Conquest.

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users