• Drive by bye bye king

Posted 01 December 2017 - 04:40 PM

Deleted

This post has been edited by Briar King: 01 October 2021 - 07:34 PM

Drive by bye bye king on my dumb horse

#2 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 01 December 2017 - 04:42 PM

View PostBriar King, on 01 December 2017 - 04:40 PM, said:

I can’t find the old thread. It’s like it got ate. If found then merge this please otherwise welcome home I guess.

Season 2 of this brilliant Netflix show starts in exactly a week. Hope y’all got some free time open already to binge.

Did we ever have a thread for it?

Anyways, yeah super excited for this to start!
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#3 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 31 August 2018 - 05:29 PM

View PostPARADISE is here bitches, on 31 August 2018 - 04:45 PM, said:

Finished up S2 finally. When it 1st came out I only got about 30 mins into Ep 1 and stopped. Blew through it all the past 3 days. Good stuff but I def liked S1 better. Michael C Hall was the strangest choice for JFK though. I say that being a fan of Hall. Looking foward to S3 for sure.

You know that Black Jack Randall himself (Tobias Menzies) is playing Phillip for S3 and 4 yeah? GREAT casting! I was already excited to see Olivia Colman playing Elizabeth, but Menzies as Phillip, and Bonham-Carter as Margaret...this is shaping up to be an EXCELLENT new cast.

Attached File  BlackJack.jpeg (21.71K)
Number of downloads: 0
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#4 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 01 September 2018 - 02:10 AM

I think we will see young Diana in s4, as s5 & 6 are apparently going to deal with the whole Charles and Diana marriage and fallout in the 80’s and 90’s.

#5 User is offline   Mezla PigDog 

• Malazan Yo Yo Champion 2009
  • Group: Mezla's Thought Police

Posted 01 September 2018 - 06:32 AM

I get very distracted when I watch The Crown because I have to google stuff to find out which bits are properly true. And I keep having to remind myself I'm not a royalist.
Burn rubber =/= warp speed

#6 User is offline   TheRetiredBridgeburner 

• House Knight
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 04 September 2018 - 11:46 AM

View PostMezla PigDog, on 01 September 2018 - 06:32 AM, said:

I get very distracted when I watch The Crown because I have to google stuff to find out which bits are properly true. And I keep having to remind myself I'm not a royalist.

So glad this happens to more than just me....

I am excited to see the new cast, although I will miss the current trio - they've all been excellent but I could watch Claire Foy all day.
- Wyrd biđ ful aræd -

#7 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 04 September 2018 - 12:46 PM

Just on record. I'm a royalist. :D

Sidebar: I know I'm not British, but still.

#8 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 02 July 2019 - 06:35 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 04 September 2018 - 12:46 PM, said:

Just on record. I'm a royalist. :headbang:

Sidebar: I know I'm not British, but still.

The Spice Girls don't count QT.

View PostBfuckinK, on 02 July 2019 - 06:04 PM, said:

When is S3 coming?

TBD. Filming is complete. Speculation is Sept 2019 as Netflix has a go at the networks' usual Fall programming.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#9 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 18 November 2019 - 02:28 AM

Bashed through the first two eps of s3, and it’s been stellar. Perfect choices for all the lead roles. Helena Bonham Carter and Olivia Colman especially.

#10 User is offline   TheRetiredBridgeburner 

• House Knight

Posted 20 November 2019 - 09:34 PM

Watched the first three episodes tonight.

Agreed, Helena Bonham Carter is every bit as fantastic as expected.

Episode three is devoted to the Aberfan mining disaster... best watched accompanied by tissues. I think they handled it very well.
- Wyrd biđ ful aræd -

#11 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 25 November 2019 - 06:17 PM

View PostTheRetiredBridgeburner, on 20 November 2019 - 09:34 PM, said:

Watched the first three episodes tonight.

Agreed, Helena Bonham Carter is every bit as fantastic as expected.

Episode three is devoted to the Aberfan mining disaster... best watched accompanied by tissues. I think they handled it very well.

My wife (who didn't know the story) kept waiting for the "they were learning that song" bit from the beginning to come back and the kids would be saved somehow by singing loud enough to be heard under the wreckage....I didn't have the heart to tell her no...that nearly everyone in the path of the disaster lost their lives.

That goddamn coffin scene with the singing destroyed us.

------

Also, can I comment separately on Tobias Menzes? Like I already love him as an actor in damned near everything he's in...but I feel like he's taken what Matt Smith brought to the role of the younger Duke of Edinburgh, and inched it further up the drama pole. And not just in episodes that largely concerned him, like the Moon Landing one, or the one with his mother...but even in episodes where his part is minor...I feel like he's absolutely selling me on how Phillip would react.

In the episode where the wash comes out about Charles, Camilla, Parker-Bowles and Anne....the lot of them are sitting around and Anne says something about her feelings on the whole matter (you can tell she's non-plussed to be in the situation she's in but on an emotional level she's clearly hiding) and Phillip utters "Spare me"...and I'm like "Holy fuck, that's EXACTLY what I was thinking after her little spiel" and the way he delivers it is simply perfect.

And while we are at it, the upgrade of actors for Lord Mountbatten to Charles Dance...fucking stroke of genius on the casting. The guy who played him in the first 2 seasons was fine...but man, I TOTALLY buy Dance as Mountbatten WAY more.

We finished S3 the other night and for the most part LOVED it. The final episode feels a LITTLE lacklustre after the penultimate one if I'm honest (The Snowden/Margaret plot line was always headed here, so focusing on it for 3/4 of the runtime feels....strange)....but the final 15 minutes or so focusing on the Silver Jubilee was really well done actually. But yeah, they could have ended on the second to last ep and I would have through it a better season end. Chuffed for Season 4, but now we have to wait.

Also, anyone think that they ought to just go ahead and cast Helen Mirren as Elizabeth for the 5th and 6th season time jump? I mean she's technically played her during the era they will explore anyways, so may as well.

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 25 November 2019 - 06:29 PM

#12 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 26 November 2019 - 03:38 PM

Upon reflection, I'm VERY glad that they showed the relationship between Charles and his Great Uncle David (the King who abdicated for love of divorcée Wallis Simpson), and that Charles has been shown in a sympathetic light thus far (his early schooling under brutal terms, his being shuttled about to places the Crown wants him in against his will, his learning Welsh and honouring Wales before his induction as Prince of Wales when his mother wanted dominance, his mother's emotional coldness towards him ect.)...because it likely means that we WON'T be getting the "fairytale, Elton-John song Diana" story that's been largely shovelled down our throats since the 80's. We will get the real story...of Charles not loving anyone but Camilla, but not being allowed to marry her because of station levels...and being basically forced into a marriage with a young 19-year old, dreamy-eyed daughter of an earl who had delusions of "princess". She KNEW her marriage to Charles would be one of duty/image and not one of love and she proceeded. She knew that Charles and Camilla loved each other and had pet names for each other LONG before she married him. She was also adulterous during their marriage, but she acted later like Charles being unfaithful to her was completely one-sided and it most certainly has proven to have not been the case as she very much carried on herself. This was a staple of her later book and tell-all interviews...that Charles was this demon and she was a poor caged bird saint...which is not remotely the case. She had untreated mental health issues that she refused to get looked at until forced (including not just depression, but her eating disorder [she claims this originated in a comment by Charles], and other aspects; I'm half convinced that she was undiagnosed bi-polar as a lot of her actions line up with that disease). She found the Royal Family to be oppressive, and sought to lash out at any given interval as a result at the trappings of that life. You can see that Charles is (since 2005 when he finally was able to marry Camilla) altogether just a happier guy these days. I think Charles and Diana were BOTH miserable in their marriage....Charles because it was loveless duty for him and the refusal of being allowed to be with Camilla irked him, and Diana because she loved the Prince (or thinks she did) but found out quickly that being married to the future king was not a fairytale, but a life of service to the crown and she bucked at that.

And for my money, all of that gets laid at....the feet of the Queen. It would have been 100% she who arranged, and forced the marriage to Diana...and she would have done so in service to the crown, or so she believed. Little did she know she made things infinitely worse for not only her eldest son, but the whole Royal family for YEARS to come. So that should be VERY interesting in Season 4. I imagine that if Charles had been allowed to marry Camilla from the beginning, and Diana had therefore never entered the picture, the three of them would have lived happier lives, and I expect Diana would still be here.

But yeah, seeing almost a whole episode dedicated to Charles relationship with his great uncle David very much secures that the producers will continue to give us the real deal story and we won't get the fairytale lie.

#13 User is offline   Cyphon 

• Cagey Bastard of TQB

Posted 29 October 2020 - 06:25 PM

Gillian Anderson playing Margaret Thatcher provokes some mixed feelings.
Para todos todo, para nosotros nada.

MottI'd always pegged you as more of an Ublala

#14 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 29 October 2020 - 07:30 PM

View PostBriar King, on 29 October 2020 - 05:30 PM, said:

View PostCyphon, on 29 October 2020 - 06:25 PM, said:

Gillian Anderson playing Margaret Thatcher provokes some mixed feelings.

She absolutely NAILS the voice...holy shit.

I'm a huge fan of the show, but now we are getting into the years that I lived through/grew up in so it's going to be really interesting to see the inside of things I only heard about through the media.

Also, I still hope that they don't shy away from the fact that Charles was literally MADE miserable by his mother for forcing him into the union with Diana and not letting him marry his hearts desire (Camilla). The media plays Charles off as a jerk for those years, but he was in a marriage to a woman he didn't love, trying to still love the one he did, and he was miserable. And Diana's personality made it no easier because she really thought she was the fairytale princess and fully engendered that in the media. Seeing as how they played up the fact that Charles was often made to do what his mother said...so much so that his only rebellion that worked was the coronation as Prince of Wales....so I think we are about to watch a man be broken by his own family and watch the story that plays out to the media one that makes him villainous...when he wasn't.

I can't wait!

#15 User is offline   Mezla PigDog 

Posted 29 October 2020 - 10:30 PM

I hope you are just a fan of Charles in the love story department. Because he's a meddling entitled prick who doesn't respect the legal limits of monarchy in this country. Black spider memos are a thing. He might have been right all along on environmentalism but everything else he has ideas well above his station. If he believes strongly enough in his personal capacity to influence he should quit the royal family and renounce his inherited titles and income and do his lobbying democratically like everyone else has to. Or he and Camilla can piss off to a Caribbean island and die quietly there instead like his Nazi loving uncle.

#16 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 30 October 2020 - 01:05 AM

I am only talking about his love life, yes.

#17 User is offline   Mezla PigDog 

Posted 30 October 2020 - 10:45 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 30 October 2020 - 01:05 AM, said:

I am only talking about his love life, yes.

Ha ha. As I said up thread I'm not a royalist. The man annoys me. Most specifically when you feel their PR machine pulling on your heartstrings making you think they're alright really. William and Kate stuff makes me mad. It's so sickly sweet. Have you seen he's supposedly been shagging her best mate?!? And the Meaghan hate stuff came along at juuuuust the right time deflect the media heat.

Totally not interested in the royal family.

#18 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 16 November 2020 - 09:09 PM

They re definitely not shying away from the facets of how Charles and Di end up married.

- Diana's obsession with growing up to be the fairytale princess, even if she has to force her way into her sister's dates life.
- Charles still pissed he can't be with Camilla, and angry that a marriage was arranged to keep her away from Charles, one in which she's clearly not happy.
- I hadn't realized the soldifying catalyst that the assassination of Mountbatten (by the IRA) had on Charles when he got that letter speaking to him about Duty. That's easily what pushed Charles from dwelling on Camilla and onto doing his duty.
- Then you have no one in Charles' orbit (least of all his uncaring father) showing the slightest emotion at losing Mountbatten (the closest thing he's ever had to a father)...and boom....enter starry-eyed Diana who expresses what....EMOTION to Charles.

It's a perfect storm of events that leads Charles and Diana into their loveless marriage.

#19 User is offline   flea 

• High Fist

Posted 21 November 2020 - 05:15 PM

Yes, the bit with Andrew was creepy.

#20 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile
  • Group: Malazan Artist

Posted 21 November 2020 - 06:12 PM

We just started watching this last night.

Season 1 episode 1!

Yes we may be a bit behind on this...
So that's the story. And what was the real lesson? Don't leave things in the fridge.

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users