• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Oathbringer Spoilers Not as good as the Abyss-he-reads Thread

#21 User is offline   Obdigore 

• ThunderBear
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 20 November 2017 - 06:09 PM

View PostBriar King, on 20 November 2017 - 05:09 PM, said:

I still think this book is the most sexual yet and I’m just getting close to pg 400.

I can agree with this. I can only assume that Brandon Sanderson read Illy's rant about the utter lack of anything sexual happening, even a kiss, when it feels like it should, so much so that it was extremely off putting with the utter lack of anything approaching a 'normal' reaction/event.

There are 3 scenes that stand out in my head, one early in the book, one somewhere in the middle, and one in the epilogue. None are graphic, the most graphic they get is talking about kissing and feeling warm and tearing off a guys shirt. Two of them seem comic relief and the other seems like a good 'next step' in a relationship.
Monster Hunter World Iceborne: It's like hunting monsters, but on crack, but the monsters are also on crack.

#22 User is offline   Andorion 

• God
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:All things Malazan, sundry sci-fi and fantasy, history, Iron Maiden

Posted 23 November 2017 - 03:17 AM

View PostBriar King, on 23 November 2017 - 03:09 AM, said:

Huh...pg 447 a drawing.
Spoiler
interesting

By Navani?

#23 User is offline   champ 

• Omnipotent Overseer of the Universe
  • Group: Team Quick Ben

Posted 23 November 2017 - 10:42 AM

View PostBriar King, on 23 November 2017 - 03:26 AM, said:

Yeah. I don’t think we have had these in any of the visions as of yet. Looks cool but strange.

Spoiler

Tehol said:

'Yet my heart breaks for a naked hen.'

#24 User is offline   End of Disc One 

• House Knight

Posted 27 November 2017 - 02:45 AM

At your point, I was mostly looking forward to present day Dalinar. Those chapters were more likely to have revealing info on the past. Actually in part 2 I mostly enjoyed the Bridge 4 POVs. Not much plot progression but great character stuff. The pace hasn’t really picked up but part 3 ended pretty exciting. I’m now in early part 4 and interested in the setting and one of the new POVs.

This is a good book but it looks like Grace of Kings will end up my best read of the year.

#25 User is offline   Andorion 

• God

Posted 27 November 2017 - 02:56 AM

View PostEnd of Disc One, on 27 November 2017 - 02:45 AM, said:

At your point, I was mostly looking forward to present day Dalinar. Those chapters were more likely to have revealing info on the past. Actually in part 2 I mostly enjoyed the Bridge 4 POVs. Not much plot progression but great character stuff. The pace hasn't really picked up but part 3 ended pretty exciting. I'm now in early part 4 and interested in the setting and one of the new POVs.

This is a good book but it looks like Grace of Kings will end up my best read of the year.

I actually quite enjoyed the old Dalinar PoVs because they were veryuseful in showing why so many people were sceptical about him in the previous two books. We have always seen him as a good person but given how bloodthirsty, reckless and unruly he was it is quite clear why the other Highprinces found it difficult to accept his new position as sincere.

As for best book - City of Miracles? Deadhouse Landing?

#26 User is offline   champ 

Posted 27 November 2017 - 07:48 AM

View PostEnd of Disc One, on 27 November 2017 - 02:45 AM, said:

At your point, I was mostly looking forward to present day Dalinar. Those chapters were more likely to have revealing info on the past. Actually in part 2 I mostly enjoyed the Bridge 4 POVs. Not much plot progression but great character stuff. The pace hasn’t really picked up but part 3 ended pretty exciting. I’m now in early part 4 and interested in the setting and one of the new POVs.

The annoying part was that just as part 3 started to pick up he bloody ended the book and gave us the intervals...

I think my main problem with the book is the lack of tension...

Spoiler

I'm just slogging through this now to the finish so I can get to DHL.

Tehol said:

#27 User is offline   End of Disc One 

• House Knight

Posted 28 November 2017 - 02:15 PM

Patience. I don’t think it’s any slower than TWoK but it is longer. I’m about 1000 pages in. Climax hasn’t started yet but I think it’s coming kind of soon. I’ve enjoyed part 4.

#28 User is offline   Andorion 

• God

Posted 28 November 2017 - 03:41 PM

View PostBriar King, on 28 November 2017 - 04:44 AM, said:

This is turning into a slow slog. 600+ in and just ugh and what's bad is it isn't bad! Just time consuming and SLOW. Holy shit and that far in and I'm still not at the halfway point!

There's a pretty solid ending waiting for you BK. Lots of Lift in it.

#29 User is offline   champ 

Posted 03 December 2017 - 08:46 AM

Once you get to book 4 it's not too bad of a read and book 5 gives you a very solid ending, it's just a battle to get to that point.

Tehol said:

#30 User is offline   End of Disc One 

• House Knight

Posted 04 December 2017 - 02:18 PM

My only real complaint with the book, as I got to the end, is I wished certain characters had gotten more page time throughout the book. I've seen other people complain about too many POVs in the last section, but I feel the opposite. I loved those POVs and I wish they had gotten more chapters throughout the book. Sanderson should have cut some pages from Shallan's repetitive personality stuff and given those pages to other characters. I understand that limiting the POVs is his way of making sure the series doesn't extend beyond 5/10 books. But there are more than 3 important characters.

Great book overall though. 2 > 3 > 1.

#31 User is offline   Andorion 

• God

Posted 05 December 2017 - 06:48 AM

View PostBriar King, on 05 December 2017 - 01:56 AM, said:

Been staying away from 17th Shard mostly so idk if others have been complaining about that to much. I kinda hope they are so he can feel how annoying it is. I'm gonna cry if I have to deal with 7 more 1K page books of her shifting. It's just to much!

Don't want to spoil you BK, but lets just say that the personality issue is resolved in this book.

#32 User is offline   Obdigore 

• ThunderBear

Posted 05 December 2017 - 03:49 PM

View PostAndorion, on 05 December 2017 - 06:48 AM, said:

Been staying away from 17th Shard mostly so idk if others have been complaining about that to much. I kinda hope they are so he can feel how annoying it is. I'm gonna cry if I have to deal with 7 more 1K page books of her shifting. It's just to much!

Don't want to spoil you BK, but lets just say that the personality issue is resolved in this book.

Well... maybe.
Monster Hunter World Iceborne: It's like hunting monsters, but on crack, but the monsters are also on crack.

#33 User is offline   Andorion 

• God

Posted 05 December 2017 - 04:19 PM

View PostObdigore, on 05 December 2017 - 03:49 PM, said:

View PostAndorion, on 05 December 2017 - 06:48 AM, said:

Well... maybe.

I think that the ending certainly indicated something like that.

#34 User is offline   End of Disc One 

• House Knight

Posted 13 December 2017 - 02:17 PM

I enjoyed the Shadesmar stuff, thought it was really interesting from a worldbuilding perspective. Also loved the Szeth chapters. They moved so quickly which was jarring in comparison to Shallan's padded chapters.

#35 User is offline   Andorion 

• God

Posted 17 December 2017 - 10:23 AM

View PostBriar King, on 17 December 2017 - 07:04 AM, said:

Have just hit page 1000. I just want to be done. I doubt I will ever have the heart to reread bk 3 many moons from now in the lead up for series finale. *knock on wood that I'm even reading this one come that time I suppose. Bk 4 will be crucial to this.

Are you getting WoT flashbacks?Posted Image

#36 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 06 January 2018 - 09:14 AM

Just finished it.

Didn't mind it, although I do agree several sections could have been trimmed a bit (Kholinar and Shadesmar).
The last 150 pages was a real page turner. I had the cricket on but barely watched it and even had a headache from reading so much that day (about 400 pages which for me these days is astounding) but didn't put it down until I finished. These days I usually stop once the headaches start which is why I'm not reading anywhere near as much as I used to. Vision is going, spectacles prescription is getting much stronger each time. Oooooold. :p

Six heralds and a half-Wit out of ten. Or should that be nine?
"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#37 User is offline   End of Disc One 

• House Knight

Posted 12 January 2018 - 02:50 PM

Since Abyss isn't this far yet, what I hinted at in his thread was the Bridge 4 POVs. Sure they slowed the book down, but I absolutely loved them. I thought the Rock chapter was one of the best non-climactic chapters that Brandon has ever written. I hope to get more POVs from the in the future, and less Shallan.

Actually there are a lot of characters I wish would feature more instead of Shallan (Renarin, Jasnah, Szeth, even Lift). They're just as important to the main story.

#38 User is offline   Tattersail_ 

• formerly Ganoes Paran
  • Interests:Mafia. Awesome Pictures. Awesome Videos. Did I mention Mafia?
    snapchat - rustyspoon84

Posted 13 January 2018 - 11:11 PM

Really enjoyed the book and was glad of the size. The scope of the whole thing is fantastic
Apt is the only one who reads this. Apt is nice.

#39 User is offline   Gabriele 

• High Fist
  • Interests:History, Archaeology, Photogrpahy, Writing, Opera, Traveling, Riding, Languages

Posted 18 January 2018 - 04:49 PM

View Postchamp, on 27 November 2017 - 07:48 AM, said:

The annoying part was that just as part 3 started to pick up he bloody ended the book and gave us the intervals...

I always skip the intermediate stories when I first read the Stormlight books and go back to them at some later point. I think there's one or two from the earliers books I still haven't read at all. :) It's such an artificial trick; the main books plus a separate collection of short stories would have worked just as well.

#40 User is offline   End of Disc One 

• House Knight

Posted 18 January 2018 - 06:32 PM

Man I always look forward to the interludes. There's some interesting stuff in those.

Share this topic:

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users