Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Finished! Comments and Questions Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   shovelbum 

• Recruit
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 13 November 2017 - 09:10 PM

Finished The Crippled God a couple days ago. I'm a little sad to get to the series' end, but Malazan is so big, I also feel like completing it is a bit of an accomplishment.

I'm satisfied. I was telling my wife that Erikson is a little like Stephen King in terms of development, but Erikson writes much more satisfying endings. Across all 10 books, I'm not sure I've read another author who's better at tying together so many characters and subplots in climaxes.

I tried to get what I could from other posts, but I've got some additional comments/questions for anyone browsing:

* I'm certain that Erikson has at least two favorite words: susurration, actinic

* Were the Great Ravens always agents of The Crippled God, even going back to Gardens of the Moon? It's not a big deal, but their appearance and delivery of the God parts surprised me (although it seems to parallel the release of Coltaine's soul). I must have missed the Ravens' role or forgotten about them. My last memory of Crone was that she was talking with the alchemist in Darujistan.

* What was Calm's plan for the FA? I wasn't really sure where the FA revolt was going, and then it was crushed...literally.

* I'm not sure there was room for it, but the Kolansii just seemed to be mind control meat for the FA. Considering the development of all sorts of POVs throughout the books, they really got short-changed. All we really know about the Kolansii seems to be that they were like Lether without a Tehol to redeem them. What a crappy continent.

* Looking back, I wish more had been done with Tattersail. I really liked the concept of the couple hundred year old full-figured and fairly powerful female mage. Had she been kept around, I think she could have filled the role of Felash or Abrastal.

* I don't really go for character power rankings, but, of all the swordsmen in the series, I think Yedan Derryg leaves the greatest impression.

#2 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 13 November 2017 - 09:26 PM

The Great Ravens/TCG connection is revealed first in MOI.

For the record, I have not read Deadhouse Landing so this isn't any kind of story spoiler, but the Dramatis Personae was recently posted so you might be interested:

Spoiler

They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#3 User is offline   shovelbum 

• Recruit

Posted 13 November 2017 - 10:20 PM

View Postworry, on 13 November 2017 - 09:26 PM, said:

For the record, I have not read Deadhouse Landing so this isn't any kind of story spoiler, but the Dramatis Personae was recently posted so you might be interested:

Spoiler

Thanks and thanks. I will have to check it out to see how she returns!

#4 User is offline   Kellanved's shadow 

• The blade in the shadow
  • Interests:being king of high house shadow
    ordering Cotillion
    ordering the Hounds
    commanding shadows (oh wait I am a shadow)

Posted 14 November 2017 - 10:35 AM

View Postshovelbum, on 13 November 2017 - 10:20 PM, said:

Spoiler

In GotM Tattersail was the mage working for Mok when Malaz Island was a Pirate strong hold. In her POV she mentions that Dancer (inferred) killed him while she was not around. At that point Kellenved and Dancer took over the island.
"I walked this land when the T'lan Imass were but children. I have commanded armies a hundred thousand strong. I have spread the fire of my wrath across entire continents, and sat alone upon tall thrones. Do you grasp the meaning of this?"
"Yes" said Brood , "you never learn".

#5 User is offline   Zetubal 

• Captain
  • Interests:Language

Posted 21 November 2017 - 11:11 AM

View Postshovelbum, on 13 November 2017 - 09:10 PM, said:

* What was Calm's plan for the FA? I wasn't really sure where the FA revolt was going, and then it was crushed...literally.

IIRC, Calm was in cahoots with Setch, Kilmandaros and the Errant. The POV-section of Sister Equity in TCG sheds more light on their motivations and how they want to use the Crippled God's heart. In a way, they could be considered a little less extreme...

* I'm not sure there was room for it, but the Kolansii just seemed to be mind control meat for the FA. Considering the development of all sorts of POVs throughout the books, they really got short-changed. All we really know about the Kolansii seems to be that they were like Lether without a Tehol to redeem them. What a crappy continent.

Well, the children of the Snake are all Kolansii. Aside from that, there isn't much to know about the Kolansii because they are stripped of their will. I got the feeling that a Kolansii-POV would've been 50 Shades of "I have to obey the Pures, I have to obey the Pures".

* I don't really go for character power rankings, but, of all the swordsmen in the series, I think Yedan Derryg leaves the greatest impression.

I loved Yedan and the way he steamrolled what felt like half the Liosan population. Would've liked to see how well he fought before he got his hands on the Hust sword. I mean, after that he's pretty much possessed.

#6 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer
  • Interests:Football

Posted 21 November 2017 - 03:45 PM

View PostKellanved, on 14 November 2017 - 10:35 AM, said:

View Postshovelbum, on 13 November 2017 - 10:20 PM, said:

Spoiler

In GotM Tattersail was the mage working for Mok when Malaz Island was a Pirate strong hold. In her POV she mentions that Dancer (inferred) killed him while she was not around. At that point Kellenved and Dancer took over the island.

Actually they were lovers. That's from GotM or MoI, one or the other.
Trouble arrives when the opponents to such a system institute its extreme opposite, where individualism becomes godlike and sacrosanct, and no greater service to any other ideal (including community) is possible. In such a system rapacious greed thrives behind the guise of freedom, and the worst aspects of human nature come to the fore....

#7 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 21 November 2017 - 05:57 PM

View Postshovelbum, on 13 November 2017 - 09:10 PM, said:

...* I'm certain that Erikson has at least two favorite words: susurration, actinic

don't forget all the potsherds!!!!!! :thumbsup:

* Were the Great Ravens always agents of The Crippled God, even going back to Gardens of the Moon? It's not a big deal, but their appearance and delivery of the God parts surprised me (although it seems to parallel the release of Coltaine's soul). I must have missed the Ravens' role or forgotten about them. My last memory of Crone was that she was talking with the alchemist in Darujistan.

They were never his agents. They were independent chunks that broke off and did their own thing, until most of them willingly returned to him.

DESTROY THE WORLD so it can reset itself in a more justice-sy sort of state.

That was the point. By the time we see them, they were little more than tools for the FA.

* Looking back, I wish more had been done with Tattersail. I really liked the concept of the couple hundred year old full-figured and fairly powerful female mage. Had she been kept around, I think she could have filled the role of Felash or Abrastal.

Check out the Esslemont books. Many old friends appear again.

He certainly did on the Liosan! :(

But yah, awesome character.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users