Malazan Empire: Finished first read! Questions, thoughts, *spoilers!* - Malazan Empire

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Finished first read! Questions, thoughts, *spoilers!*

#1 User is offline   TheHoundsCall 

• Corporal
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 31 October 2017 - 05:44 PM

Man oh man. Just when I thought it couldn’t get better Erikson leaves me with my jaw dropped and thoughts racing. This was my favorite installment so far. I was honestly very confused starting this book. The first chapter where feather witch reads the tiles left me with a WTF feeling, but I kept reading and I found that if I embraced this novel as a new beginning for the series, it became a way less frustrating experience.
The ending was quite shakespereian (throne room scene) which I loved. I loved the relationship with Rhulad and Udinass and Tehol and Bugg. They correlate each other pretty well(servants wisdom exceeding the master and the friendship that exists in both senarios) I don’t have many questions but...

1. About Rhulads sword... am I supposed to recognize the “black elongated knives” that were used to infuse the sword with their shards? If not do we hear more about them?

2. What was the purpose of Menadore or what ever her name is raping Udinass. The whole scene with the T’lan Imass and Udinass kid seemed like it was just there to confuse and served no plot point. Will this be explained?

I just bought Night of Knives at my local B&N so I’ll be reading that next as you all have suggested. Thanks!

#2 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer
  • Interests:Football

Posted 31 October 2017 - 05:51 PM

View PostTheHoundsCall, on 31 October 2017 - 05:44 PM, said:

Man oh man. Just when I thought it couldn't get better Erikson leaves me with my jaw dropped and thoughts racing. This was my favorite installment so far. I was honestly very confused starting this book. The first chapter where feather witch reads the tiles left me with a WTF feeling, but I kept reading and I found that if I embraced this novel as a new beginning for the series, it became a way less frustrating experience.
The ending was quite shakespereian (throne room scene) which I loved. I loved the relationship with Rhulad and Udinass and Tehol and Bugg. They correlate each other pretty well(servants wisdom exceeding the master and the friendship that exists in both senarios) I don't have many questions but...

1. About Rhulads sword... am I supposed to recognize the "black elongated knives" that were used to infuse the sword with their shards? If not do we hear more about them?

2. What was the purpose of Menadore or what ever her name is raping Udinass. The whole scene with the T'lan Imass and Udinass kid seemed like it was just there to confuse and served no plot point. Will this be explained?

I just bought Night of Knives at my local B&N so I'll be reading that next as you all have suggested. Thanks!

1. Hmmm, been a while but I recognized them as either otataral or blackwood that have special properties.

2. Aaaaaaaannnnndddddddd, read and find out. Sorry.
Trouble arrives when the opponents to such a system institute its extreme opposite, where individualism becomes godlike and sacrosanct, and no greater service to any other ideal (including community) is possible. In such a system rapacious greed thrives behind the guise of freedom, and the worst aspects of human nature come to the fore....

#3 User is offline   Puck 

• Mausetöter

Posted 31 October 2017 - 08:04 PM

1. Kind of. They're the remain of Silchas' swords, which he lost during/just prior to the prologue. There's a scene in MT proper where Silchas, as a ghost, is seen in the forest looking for them.
Puck was not birthed, she was cleaved from a lava flow and shaped by a fierce god's hands. - [worry]
Ninja Puck, Ninja Puck, really doesn't give a fuck..? - [King Lear]

#4 User is offline   TheHoundsCall 

• Corporal

Posted 31 October 2017 - 11:21 PM

Forgot to post my last question... I went back and read the HoC prologue and I was wondering if it will be explained why Trulls brothers performed the “shorning” on him. ?

#5 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 31 October 2017 - 11:35 PM

I think between that prologue and MT you probably already have the information you need to suss it out.

I suppose if you want a very specific straw that broke the camel's back type answer:

Spoiler

They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#6 User is offline   Slow Ben 

• Ranger

Posted 01 November 2017 - 02:51 AM

It does get fleshed out some in Reapers Gale. When Trull is thinking back about the shorning.

This post has been edited by Slow Ben: 01 November 2017 - 02:51 AM

I've always been crazy but its kept me from going insane.

#7 User is offline   Haplo 

• Recruit

Posted 20 May 2018 - 08:42 PM

Hello,
I don´t want to start a separate thread since the thing I want to ask is discussed here. So, if I understand correctly, we will not be given a specific situation/reason because of which Trull will get expelled to Nascent and shorned (shorn?) - okay then, but do you have any opinion on why this happened? Because even though Trull was questioning the whole campaing both verbally and internally (and he got some nasty feedback along the way) there was no indication about him being punished so severely (indications that I have been looking for really carefully since I have been waiting for this since the beginning of the book). Even when Rhulad was lying hopelessly on the throne room floor and both Fear and Trull refused to kill him/bring him back, it didnt look like he is holding any special grudge against his brothers.

So, what is your opininon on what actually happened? Do you really think that the whole shorning was an expected outcome of Trulls nature (and actions originating from his nature)? I find it kind of hard to believe (like, not having a concrete reason)...or maybe was that action driven solely by CG´s wish, since Trull was criticizing the power behing Rhulad that Edur people were tapping onto?

Thanks for any reaction:)

#8 User is offline   Gintokian 

• High Fist

Posted 24 May 2018 - 02:53 PM

View PostHaplo, on 20 May 2018 - 08:42 PM, said:

Hello,
I don´t want to start a separate thread since the thing I want to ask is discussed here. So, if I understand correctly, we will not be given a specific situation/reason because of which Trull will get expelled to Nascent and shorned (shorn?) - okay then, but do you have any opinion on why this happened? Because even though Trull was questioning the whole campaing both verbally and internally (and he got some nasty feedback along the way) there was no indication about him being punished so severely (indications that I have been looking for really carefully since I have been waiting for this since the beginning of the book). Even when Rhulad was lying hopelessly on the throne room floor and both Fear and Trull refused to kill him/bring him back, it didnt look like he is holding any special grudge against his brothers.

So, what is your opininon on what actually happened? Do you really think that the whole shorning was an expected outcome of Trulls nature (and actions originating from his nature)? I find it kind of hard to believe (like, not having a concrete reason)...or maybe was that action driven solely by CG´s wish, since Trull was criticizing the power behing Rhulad that Edur people were tapping onto?

Thanks for any reaction:)

It's been a few years since I read the books but if I had to say I think it was caused by a number of things. First, Rhulad's becoming more and more insane each time he dies. He's also being influenced by the CG to make him even crazier and now he's the emperor. As we all know insanity and leadership are not a good combination so what I imagine happened was that he got super paranoid (as insane rulers are wont to do) and hearing Trull's constant criticism of his power and their conquest mixed with the CG influence over him was what made him do the shorning. There may have been other events after MT that could have caused it as well.
There may be more in Reaper's Gale or other books that explain it more but I can't remember.
In the language of flowers corn stands for trust.

#9 User is offline   Gorefest 

• Witness

Posted 24 May 2018 - 03:40 PM

I don't think it was ever clearly explained why it happened, but I would agree that that is the logical conclusion to draw. Trull constantly critisises an increasingly insane emperor and eventually Rhulad snaps and gets him shorn. This will have been sometime between the end of MT and the start of House of Chains, which is a time span of around 2 years I think.
Yesterday, upon the stair, I saw a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today. Oh, how I wish he'd go away.

#10 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer
  • Interests:Football

Posted 24 May 2018 - 11:14 PM

I'm of the opinion that Trull's willingness to stand there and watch Rhulad suffer and not end it pushed him over the edge when he came back. Without Fear, Rhulad was left with lackeys who also hated Trull.
Trouble arrives when the opponents to such a system institute its extreme opposite, where individualism becomes godlike and sacrosanct, and no greater service to any other ideal (including community) is possible. In such a system rapacious greed thrives behind the guise of freedom, and the worst aspects of human nature come to the fore....

#11 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 24 May 2018 - 11:44 PM

I like to think, in addition to what's been mentioned, Udinaas abandoning Rhulad was the crowbar that really opened wide the crack in his sanity caused by the Crippled God.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#12 User is offline   Gintokian 

• High Fist

Posted 25 May 2018 - 12:49 PM

View PostLuv2B_Sassy, on 24 May 2018 - 11:44 PM, said:

I like to think, in addition to what's been mentioned, Udinaas abandoning Rhulad was the crowbar that really opened wide the crack in his sanity caused by the Crippled God.

Yes, I totally forgot about that. Without Udinaas he had no one to rely on and I'm sure the abandonment would be terrible for him in his insane state. All he's left with is the selfish Letherii, Hannan Mosag, and a bunch of miserable TE all sucking up to him.
In the language of flowers corn stands for trust.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users