• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Catalunia independence? The next powder keg on our door steps

#21 User is offline   Gorefest 

• Witness
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 27 October 2017 - 04:12 PM

Just for clarity, I don't mean to imply that less than 40% of Cataluna is pro-independece, because I assume that also a lot of pro-independence supporters stayed at home out of fear for violence. So i dont mean to talk down either side.
Yesterday, upon the stair, I saw a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today. Oh, how I wish he'd go away.

#22 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 27 October 2017 - 04:24 PM

I mean the way Spain has dealt with this is horrendous. But why would anyone start going for independence after seeing how much Britain is screwing itself up post-Brexit referendum?
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#23 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 27 October 2017 - 04:26 PM

View PostTiste Simeon, on 27 October 2017 - 04:24 PM, said:

I mean the way Spain has dealt with this is horrendous. But why would anyone start going for independence after seeing how much Britain is screwing itself up post-Brexit referendum?

That's a very fair point.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#24 User is offline   Adhara 

• Lady of Black Magic
  • Returning to my origins

Posted 27 October 2017 - 04:53 PM

People stay for independence because of feelings,never because of rational thinking.
When the arrow is on the bow, it has to go

#25 User is offline   Studlock 

• First Sword

Posted 27 October 2017 - 08:15 PM

View PostTiste Simeon, on 27 October 2017 - 04:24 PM, said:

The 'independence' of Britain from a union it freely joined of it's own regard, and the actual independence of Catalonia from Spain is like day and night, and honestly a little bit of a strange comparison. Catalonia is, what, only 40 years removed from Franco's rule?

#26 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 28 October 2017 - 08:57 AM

Catalonia is the economic driver for Spain.
Independence kind of makes sense in the selfish sense of fuck everyone else why should we carry them? Logic.
Plus many other more emotional and historical reasons

#27 User is offline   Adhara 

• Lady of Black Magic

Posted 28 October 2017 - 12:40 PM

Just want to state that Cataluña is not our economic driver. It's true, however, that they are rich and prosperous.Or they were,prior to the current depart of the great companies.

#28 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 28 October 2017 - 03:43 PM

Apologies, that's how it's being sold by the media over here.

Would it cause Spain economic strife if they do seperate?

#29 User is offline   Adhara 

• Lady of Black Magic

Posted 28 October 2017 - 05:11 PM

Don't worry,media misleads us by default.Catalonian independentists want to spread this story and media supports them.
And yes, it will be economic strife in Spain if Cataluña departs.We have just overcome a crisis and now we are in the verge of another one.

#30 User is offline   Gorefest 

• Witness

Posted 28 October 2017 - 06:00 PM

The way that both parties have gone about it is rather idiotic though. Especially the Spanish response to the independence referendum. Instead of searching the dialogue they went muscling in. If the independence movement was a minority before, it sure won a lot of sympathy both in the region and globally because of the overblown reaction from the Spanish government. It all seems deflection politics from both the spanish and catalan governments to cover up economical and other internal issues. Better hope someone finds some sense soon, because the cat is out of the bag now and this won’t be put to rest again easily.
Yesterday, upon the stair, I saw a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today. Oh, how I wish he'd go away.

#31 User is offline   Adhara 

• Lady of Black Magic

Posted 28 October 2017 - 06:19 PM

I'm not sure if dialogue is possible.I don't have an opinion about what our government has done, because I don't speak about things I don't know deeply, but radical independentists don't look for dialogue, but for strife. Strife is what makes their goals win.

#32 User is offline   Nicodimas 

• Soletaken
  • https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=XbGs_qK2PQA

Posted 29 October 2017 - 07:19 AM

I wish the best in their independence from the state. Hopefully it works out better than that and the idea spreads!!

Gosh I hope this leads to California actually succeeding from the union, that’d be terrific !

Let’s pretend no military gets involved .. more of a close off the main highways and wall Cali off to its own little experiment type situation..lots of Californians think they are better humans than the rest of the Union and live in fantasy land. “ well we are just going to default on current muni bonds/debts and make up own currency”... good luck with that mate! ( been going to San Fran a lot this year.. totally wonderful people to talk too about this type of stuff)

Calis future slogan
"Do not, my friends, become addicted to water. It will take hold of you, and you will resent its absence"

This post has been edited by Nicodimas: 29 October 2017 - 07:22 AM

-If it's ka it'll come like a wind, and your plans will stand before it no more than a barn before a cyclone

#33 User is offline   Morgoth 

• executor emeritus

Posted 30 October 2017 - 08:48 AM

In the opinion poll commissioned by the pro-independence Catalan government, 41 % supported independence and 49 % opposed it. The pro independence parties do not even have a majority in the Catalan parliament. It seems absurd to me that a government with such shaky support chose to make such a momentous choice for all of its citizens based on a single, deeply flawed referendum.
Take good care to keep relations civil
It's decent in the first of gentlemen
To speak friendly, Even to the devil

#34 User is offline   Gorefest 

• Witness

Posted 30 October 2017 - 10:07 AM

As far as I understand it, one of the key points in their election campaign was a referendum vote if they got elected. Plus they probably needed something to pull the attention away from disappointing regional economical figures.

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users