Malazan Empire: Just finished first read. Spoilers thoughts questions - Malazan Empire

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Just finished first read. Spoilers thoughts questions

#1 User is offline   TheHoundsCall 

• Corporal
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 03 October 2017 - 01:04 PM

Finished MoI last night and wow what an amazing book. I was hoping to get some clarification on some things I was a little confused about.

1. Is the Myhbes dream inside of Tellann or is it a separate world all together. There was a lot goin on in a few pages and I got lost here. I get that Itkovian (best character so far) took the T'lan Imass memories and placed them in the land of the Beast Hold which was what Tellann was, but why was Kruppe required to make a dream of that place if she ended up there? Please clarify this for me I'm lost on that point.

2. More of a theory here, but Kruppes power is unexplained but him and K'rul worked together and created another world(warren??) maybe K'rul is the vessel and Kruppe is the paint brush if that makes any sense for many warrens as well...

3. How was Itkovian able to do what a shield anvil does if his god was no longer a god?

4. Where exactly did the Jaghut children go at the end. Was it Omotose Pellack mixed with Burn? I get that cold slows infection but this magic system really confuses me some times.

So impressed with Erikson here. Best fantasy I've read to date.

#2 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 03 October 2017 - 02:30 PM

View PostTheHoundsCall, on 03 October 2017 - 01:04 PM, said:

Finished MoI last night and wow what an amazing book.

IKR!?!?!!!! :)

That finale.. i've read the bloody thing again and again and it still remains my single favorite sequence in fantasy lit, ever.

I was hoping to get some clarification on some things I was a little confused about.

We're here for you!

1. Is the Myhbes dream inside of Tellann or is it a separate world all together. There was a lot goin on in a few pages and I got lost here. I get that Itkovian (best character so far) took the T'lan Imass memories and placed them in the land of the Beast Hold which was what Tellann was, but why was Kruppe required to make a dream of that place if she ended up there? Please clarify this for me I'm lost on that point.

Magic!

Next question.

...kidding, but it IS complicated.

The Tellan warren, the Beast Hold, the Mhybe's dream, and the new Imass afterlife are all separate places. Sort of.

Tellan already existed. It had shifted aspect from a sort of life/fire/earth to ash after the Tellan Ritual that made the Imass undead.
The Beast Hold existed, but had been dormant for a long long time, with no gods or people drawing on it to any significant degree.
Kruppe's ability to create temporary worlds or warrens in his dreams was more or less established back in GotM. Whether Krul gave it to him or just took advantage of it we don't know.

Kruppe, K'rul, Hood, the Rhivi Gods, and whatever else was at work, conspired to give the Mhybe's dream substance... they basically turned it into a warren. The Beast Hold woke up inside that warren, and the whole thing was infused with the Imass ancestral memories which gave it 'life'. The Mhybe's dream becomes the new Beast Hold, so to speak. The relationships between Togg and Fanderlay, the Imass, and the Mhybe are not entirely clear as of the end of the book.

My take was that Hood keeps the Mhybe's wasted body safe and in a coma. She stays dreaming. Her dreams, powered by the various gods and the Tellan warren, maintain the new 'Beast Hold'.
Tellan still exists. It's linked to the Beast Hold the way adjoining warrens with similar aspects are linked.

...now D'rek or Puck or Polish' or someone else is going to utterly shatter my theory...

2. More of a theory here, but Kruppes power is unexplained but him and K'rul worked together and created another world(warren??) maybe K'rul is the vessel and Kruppe is the paint brush if that makes any sense for many warrens as well...

Per above, unknown but i think it's Kruppe's.

3. How was Itkovian able to do what a shield anvil does if his god was no longer a god?

Because... and this is important... the power was his, not his God's.
Possibly. But it supports my Kruppe - Krul - Dreams theory.

Other possibility is that Itko retained the power, or even de-powered Fener can stil provide some juice and the rest came for Itko himself.

4. Where exactly did the Jaghut children go at the end. Was it Omotose Pellack mixed with Burn? I get that cold slows infection but this magic system really confuses me some times.

They went with the Seer to live in Burn's warren and push back the infection.

So impressed with Erikson here. Best fantasy I've read to date.

I envy you for the rest of what you are about to read for the first time. You have SO MUCH awesome reading ahead of you.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users