• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Within temptation or my patience is over

#1 User is offline   Adhara 

• Lady of Black Magic
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Returning to my origins

Posted 27 September 2017 - 04:49 PM

Ok, the fact is that I have read this forum enough for to know I should avoid the Kharkhanas Trilogy until I have finished MBotF (and of course this subforum too). But I have just finished TtH and I don't know when the Spanish publisher will release DoD and TCG, or even if they'll do. Of course Forge of Darkness is not going to be available in Spanish until my head turn white with age. I´m not patient enough for that.

I didn't want to read the books in English because I´m obviously not a native speaker and they are not exactly the most straightforward thing written in the world... but after Toll of the Hounds I can´t wait more! I want more story and I want it now! So, the questions:

--Will I spoil myself the experience if I choose to read Forge before DoD and TCG? Because at the moment I'm more concerned with that side of the story and I am heavily tempted...

--I know there is a change in style betwen the Book of the Fallen and Kharkhanas. Does it make one more easy to understand than the other, and, if so, which is more reader-friendly? And are the difficulties more on the side of the linguďstic or the conceptual?

Thanks in advance for your answers.
When the arrow is on the bow, it has to go

#2 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 27 September 2017 - 04:58 PM

As a person who didn't love Forge of Darkness and couldn't even get into Fall of Light, I'd argue you're not missing out waiting for the last books in the main series.

More importantly, the last two books, DOD and TCG, very much sets up elements that are crucial for the understanding of the Kharkanas trilogy.

What ever you chose to do I'd recommend waiting until Erikson finishes the third Kharkanas book. That's what I'm holding out for. I'll reread Forge of Darkness and then read the last two.

#3 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 27 September 2017 - 05:06 PM

View PostMorgan Lefay, on 27 September 2017 - 04:49 PM, said:

...--Will I spoil myself the experience if I choose to read Forge before DoD and TCG? Because at the moment I'm more concerned with that side of the story and I am heavily tempted...

FORGE (and FALL) are prequels to the MBF/ME series, but written after DoD and TCG.

That said, event-wise I don't think you will spoil anything major from DoD/TCG. I'm trying to recall anything specific from FORGE or FALL that spoils DoD/TCG and what little comes to mind are minor relationships between certain characters.

But the shift is going to be a bit jarring - you will be used to certain characters, then read them in a VERY different context, and then have to shift back to the original context whenever DoD/TCg become available.

--I know there is a change in style betwen the Book of the Fallen and Kharkhanas. Does it make one more easy to understand than the other, and, if so, which is more reader-friendly? And are the difficulties more on the side of the linguďstic or the conceptual?

Pretty huge change in style actually. The KT gets into way way more philosophical/existantial places, and often more complex, than MBF, for bigger chunks. Linguistically and conceptually SE went to a very different place for the KT. I've enjoyed the two books so far, but prefer what he did with MBF.

Have you read any of Esslemont's books? Are they available to you in Spanish? NoK and RCG fit nicely post TtH without spoiling anything.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#4 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 27 September 2017 - 05:08 PM

The Kharkanas books are even more -- not less -- literary than the MBOTF books, and probably a lot more difficult to digest in a non-native language. I'd advise against reading them before you finish DoD and TCG for that and the overall story-specific reasons Goose mentions. Plus your English seems good enough to get through them anyway.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#5 User is offline   Puck 

• Mausetöter

Posted 27 September 2017 - 05:49 PM

I'd also advise against reading the Kharkanas trilogy before DoD/tCG. While there aren't any spoilers per se for them in FoD/FoL, they kind of assume you know things revealed in DoD/tCG and without that knowledge a lot of stuff won't be either as big of an AHA!-moment or will be lacking it altogether. The style is also more difficult to parse than that of the main series, it's even denser than TtH.

Though your English seems good enough to read either DoD/tCG, tbh. That, or if you're craving more but are unsure about reading SE in English, you could go for ICE. Much easier in every aspect, may be a good opportunity to test the waters.
Puck was not birthed, she was cleaved from a lava flow and shaped by a fierce god's hands. - [worry]
Ninja Puck, Ninja Puck, really doesn't give a fuck..? - [King Lear]

#6 User is offline   Adhara 

• Lady of Black Magic

Posted 27 September 2017 - 05:49 PM

Thank you, even your answers make me want more to bite the forbidden fruit... but I won't do it.

About Esslemont, I want to read his books, too, but they are out of catalogue in my nice anti-fantasy country! Just because I am two or three years late to the release I can´t find any Esslemont at all here. So, yes, I probably go for the English version and I will enjoy Crimson Guard and find out who in hell is that person you call Greymane whose name pops everywhere.

Or I will try Dust of Dreams... and try to restrain myself from the Encyclopedia and subforums like this!

#7 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 27 September 2017 - 06:11 PM

If I'm not mistaken, Book Depository does free shipping worldwide.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#8 User is offline   Nevyn 

• Shield Anvil

Posted 27 September 2017 - 06:32 PM

View PostMorgan Lefay, on 27 September 2017 - 04:49 PM, said:

Ok, the fact is that I have read this forum enough for to know I should avoid the Kharkhanas Trilogy until I have finished MBotF (and of course this subforum too). But I have just finished TtH and I don't know when the Spanish publisher will release DoD and TCG, or even if they'll do. Of course Forge of Darkness is not going to be available in Spanish until my head turn white with age. I´m not patient enough for that.

I didn't want to read the books in English because I´m obviously not a native speaker and they are not exactly the most straightforward thing written in the world... but after Toll of the Hounds I can´t wait more! I want more story and I want it now! So, the questions:

--Will I spoil myself the experience if I choose to read Forge before DoD and TCG? Because at the moment I'm more concerned with that side of the story and I am heavily tempted...

Thanks in advance for your answers.

Stick to the main story. The Kharkanas trilogy has some interesting and confusing background, but may not tie in as you expect.

Also, like Alternative Goose, I am not really a wild fan of it. Reading it is work you get through on the promise of more revelations about things hinted at.
Tatts early in SH game: Hmm, so if I'm liberal I should have voted Nein to make sure I'm president? I'm not that selfish

Tatts later in SAME game: I'm going to be a corrupt official. I have turned from my liberal ways, and now will vote against the pesky liberals. Viva la Fascism.
When Venge's turn comes, he will get a yes from Mess, Dolmen, Nevyn and Venge but a no from the 3 fascists and me. **** with my Government, and i'll **** with yours

#9 User is online   Gorefest 

• Witness

Posted 27 September 2017 - 10:31 PM

Seems like a perfect time for your first re-read, but this time all in English! So back to Gardens of the Moon with the benefit of already knowing the storyline so that will hopefully aid you in the translational quagmire. And you are going to reread the series eventually anyway, we all do (unless one is dead inside and has no moral compass, or eats babies. Not sure if that even needed an 'or' in there). So you might as well make the best of the situation and then you can slide right into DoD in English once you have finished the English-version TtH! It is a foolproof plan that cannot fail and is awesome. I came up with it myself. It is very good.
Yesterday, upon the stair, I saw a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today. Oh, how I wish he'd go away.

#10 User is online   Gorefest 

• Witness

Posted 27 September 2017 - 10:34 PM

Also I threw in the word quagmire of which I am not 100% sure what it means as I too am not a native English speaker, but it seemed to fit and made me look worldly and wordy for a second. It may also be misspelled but that is the risk of pedantry.
Yesterday, upon the stair, I saw a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today. Oh, how I wish he'd go away.

#11 User is offline   Adhara 

• Lady of Black Magic

Posted 28 September 2017 - 07:50 AM

Don´t worry, Gorefest, I am aware of "quagmire" is shorthand for "Erikson writing style", if not for "Morgan Lefay state of mind when reading him".

Wow, guys, you all have persuaded me with really heavy reasoning: I won´t touch Kharkhanas until I've finished the main series. (But, alas, how I miss Anomander!) I think I´m going for Dust in English. I guess it will feel like wading into thick blood, but this is the feeling I have with Erikson style anyway.

#12 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 28 September 2017 - 12:23 PM

Am I the only one who thought this thread would be about the dutch metal band?
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#13 User is offline   Adhara 

• Lady of Black Magic

Posted 28 September 2017 - 04:48 PM

I just like to mislead ;)

#14 User is online   Gorefest 

• Witness

Posted 28 September 2017 - 05:55 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 28 September 2017 - 12:23 PM, said:

Am I the only one who thought this thread would be about the dutch metal band?

I only posted twice...

Oh wait, that *other* band.

#15 User is offline   Adhara 

• Lady of Black Magic

Posted 24 October 2017 - 04:00 PM

I have Dust of Dreams in my hands!(I had to wait because I am not a Kindle woman).Now,I'm going to sit and enjoy...

#16 User is offline   squll 

• Recruit

Posted 28 October 2017 - 11:29 AM

Im from Argentina and im in the same situation as you. Plus i have already read NoK, ROTCG, and SW. The last week i finished TtH, but my english is not good enough so i cant face DoD until they publish the spanish translation.

Its always a sad story for us, the spanish readers.

#17 User is offline   Adhara 

• Lady of Black Magic

Posted 30 October 2017 - 10:20 PM

I thought my English was not enough and now I'm reading Dust with joy.Perhaps you could try. We are all more competent as readers than as writers.
Totally agree with you on your post.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users