• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Punisher 2017 Netflix show shooty stabby splody kick kick

#1 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 21 September 2017 - 08:16 AM

Punisher trailer. Metallica "One", awww yeahhhhhh. ;)

Attached File(s)

This post has been edited by Tsundoku: 21 September 2017 - 08:20 AM

"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#2 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 21 September 2017 - 03:19 PM

That looks promising. Maybe it's time for a dedicated Punisher thread.

What was up with that release date teaser? Did it say 2017?

#3 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 21 September 2017 - 05:05 PM

Hope it's better than that poo DEFENDERS.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#4 User is offline   acesn8s 

• Soletaken
  • Interests:Reading, video games, role playing games, Fountain Pens, journals...

Posted 22 September 2017 - 11:53 AM

I'll watch.

...and now I'll be listening to Metallica all morning.
“The others followed, and found themselves in a small, stuffy basement, which would have been damp, smelly, close, and dark, were it not, in fact, well-lit, which prevented it from being dark.”
― Steven Brust, The Phoenix Guards

#5 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 22 September 2017 - 01:46 PM

The whole Netflix marvel universe is turning out to be watchable but not MUST watch TV. And frankly in this day and age if it's not the latter there is better things to do.

#6 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 22 September 2017 - 01:57 PM

I'd argue that Punisher in Daredevil Season 2 was MUST SEE TV. As such, I am excited for the new show. Hopefully they continue to write the character in the same brutal fashion.

#7 User is offline   Vengeance 

• High Priest of Shinrei Love and Worship
  • Group: Administrators
  • very good...;)

Posted 22 September 2017 - 02:19 PM

View PostAlternative Goose, on 22 September 2017 - 01:57 PM, said:

I'd argue that Punisher in Daredevil Season 2 was MUST SEE TV. As such, I am excited for the new show. Hopefully they continue to write the character in the same brutal fashion.

I agree. The Punisher story line in DD2 saved the season. Having the punisher interact with Fisk means that Fisk could show up in the first season of Punisher or be in the second season. As the first season will most likely deal with the killers of his family.
How many fucking people do I have to hammer in order to get that across.
Hinter - Vengy - DIE. I trusted you you bastard!!!!!!!

Steven Erikson made drowning in alien cum possible - Obdigore

#8 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 22 September 2017 - 04:42 PM

I'd prefer if they did the patented "Every season the protagonist comes close to revealing the truth/finding the killer/clearing his name but he never quite solves the problem"-angle. Punisher needs a reason to stay angry and an overaching threat/nemesis/goal.

EDIT: Have him take on a new middle tier bad guy every season, like a mob family or a biker gang or some merc company, but in the background there should be the search for some big bad and the need to stay on guard for some shadow group that could actually take him down.

This post has been edited by Alternative Goose: 22 September 2017 - 04:55 PM

#9 User is offline   Vengeance 

• very good...;)

Posted 22 September 2017 - 04:54 PM

View PostAlternative Goose, on 22 September 2017 - 04:42 PM, said:

I'd prefer if they did the patented "Every season the protagonist comes close to revealing the truth/finding the killer/clearing his name but he never quite solves the problem"-angle. Punisher needs a reason to stay angry and an overaching threat/nemesis/goal.

In the comics he is continually going after the Mafia. Once he wipes it out in one location he moves on to another location. I would like that angle. That could be 5 or 6 seasons just in the NYC area. As the families are eliminated the remaining ones become more dangerous and take on bigger hitters. Then once all of the families are gone Fisk comes back and the Punisher has to team up with DD and Cage to take him out.

#10 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 22 September 2017 - 05:01 PM

In comic book logic I think that works but in the more grounded Netflix universe I think Castle would need to be more mobile. There's not enough real Italian mobsters in New York to last more than a season. Of course, he could be doing a buffet of crime and taking on the Italian Mob, Columbian and Mexixan drug gangs, Russian human traffickers, Yakuza ninjas or what ever. Then I guess he'd never run out of targets.

The thing is that it was the Mafia that killed his family in the comics but in the show, if I recall correctly, it was actually some government/black ops job gone wrong. This shifts his focus a bit. Criminals are just the filth he puts down but adding the CIA/NSA/Illuminati means that there's this ephemeral shadow target that he will have a hard time going after each episode. It has to be a long game of cat and mouse.

#11 User is offline   Vengeance 

• very good...;)

Posted 22 September 2017 - 05:07 PM

View PostAlternative Goose, on 22 September 2017 - 05:01 PM, said:

In comic book logic I think that works but in the more grounded Netflix universe I think Castle would need to be more mobile. There's not enough real Italian mobsters in New York to last more than a season. Of course, he could be doing a buffet of crime and taking on the Italian Mob, Columbian and Mexixan drug gangs, Russian human traffickers, Yakuza ninjas or what ever. Then I guess he'd never run out of targets.

The thing is that it was the Mafia that killed his family in the comics but in the show, if I recall correctly, it was actually some government/black ops job gone wrong. This shifts his focus a bit. Criminals are just the filth he puts down but adding the CIA/NSA/Illuminati means that there's this ephemeral shadow target that he will have a hard time going after each episode. It has to be a long game of cat and mouse.

So more of a Jason Born kind of continual battle against shadow foes. Where each big bad that he kills brings him only to the next piece of the puzzle. Kind of like the Nowwhere Man (tv series).

#12 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 22 September 2017 - 05:34 PM

Sure, like The Fugitive, Mentalist, Jack of all Trades, X-files, etc. Hell, that stuff is what made Wolverines stories so cool right up until the moment they revealed his actual backstory and ruined his mystique.

#13 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 22 September 2017 - 07:13 PM

I for one hope that he starts fighting an offshoot of The Hand.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#14 User is offline   Vengeance 

• very good...;)

Posted 22 September 2017 - 07:42 PM

View Postworry, on 22 September 2017 - 07:13 PM, said:

I for one hope that he starts fighting an offshoot of The Hand.

They most likely will make that the ultimate enemy. Hopefully by then the show will suck enough that I won't have to watch it.

#15 User is offline   WinterPhoenix 

• First Sword

Posted 22 September 2017 - 08:28 PM

Is Wolverine the Marvel character with the most minutely explored backstory of all time, Alternative? Like what was he doing at 8:58AM on the 7th July 1927 sort of shit. I swear his story is insane.

Frank Castle in DDs2 was absolutely incredible I am there for this day 1, hopefully they will continue with his characterization from where they left off.

This post has been edited by WinterPhoenix: 22 September 2017 - 08:28 PM

"I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust." T.S Eliot - The Wasteland

#16 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 22 September 2017 - 08:56 PM

I haven't been following Wolverine closely for the past 15 years but the cool thing about old, pre-total memory recall, was the idea of the unreliable narrator. His head was all full of fuck. So you could have random bits of memory and false implants in independent stories. All we really knew what that he was very old, at least a 100 years, he fought in WW2, he was involved in cold war CIA/Canadian Wet-Ops, he was some kind of smuggler pirate in Shanghai and basically he got around a lot. We knew a lot of things but nothing really fit together very well. It gave him a lot of mystique.

I hated the back story they made up about him being some noble born bastard. I much preferred the idea that he could have been tens of thousands of years old, like an early Home Superior that was born among the European Sapiens and Neanderthals, roaming around the North American forests for millennia as a half feral noble savage who eventually stumbled into human civilization.

#17 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 22 September 2017 - 09:09 PM

View PostAlternative Goose, on 22 September 2017 - 08:56 PM, said:

I hated the back story they made up about him being some noble born bastard. I much preferred the idea that he could have been tens of thousands of years old, like an early Home Superior that was born among the European Sapiens and Neanderthals, roaming around the North American forests for millennia as a half feral noble savage who eventually stumbled into human civilization.

Like Vandal Savage?
"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#18 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 22 September 2017 - 09:17 PM

Sure, only sort of a reverse personality where Wolverine isn't particularly smart and doesn't really give a fuck about you as long as you leave him alone.

#19 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 23 September 2017 - 12:04 PM

I want this to be good but Defenders was so rubbish (only made it to ep4 before giving up) and if that moron Danny Rand is anywhere near this show I won't be watching. I will tentatively give it a go, however, as I agree with what a lot of you said about him being the best part of DD2.
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#20 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 23 September 2017 - 07:37 PM

Now that I know how much people hate Danny Rand I'm starting to like him more. He's so dumb and it infuriates people. Defenders was rad because of his inclusion not despite it.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

Share this topic:

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users