Malazan Empire: Sci-Fi Reccos - Malazan Empire

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Sci-Fi Reccos Human/Cyber specifically...

#1 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 09 August 2017 - 07:55 PM

Hello chaps and chappettes!

Looking for science fiction which explores the idea of human cybernetic augmentation and its effect on society.

Any ideas? Kovacs was one suggestion but that's not the main theme of the trilogy IIRC.

Thanks!
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#2 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 09 August 2017 - 08:11 PM

I read Blindsight by Peter Watts a couple months ago. That certainly gets deep into the notion of human augmentation and what it will do to our civilization. Felt the ending was a bit eh, but thoroughly enjoyed the ride. It's part of a trilogy I believe but I haven't gotten around to looking up the follow ups.

It's one of those books that will make you feel dumb but smarter for having read it.

I've also heard that Charles Stross writes some very interesting weird human space sci-fi stuff but I've yet to delve into any of that.

This post has been edited by Seduce Goose: 09 August 2017 - 08:12 PM

#3 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 09 August 2017 - 08:50 PM

Posted Image
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#4 User is offline   Baco Xtath 

• Wait. What?
  • Interests:Reading, writing, building, fly fishing, anime, MMA, and being a father.

Posted 09 August 2017 - 09:40 PM

Blade Runner? Kind of? The society in Poseidon's Children by Alastair Reynolds is great for this with the Mechanism and all. Also, Quantum Thief takes it to the extreme. Seems like Crashing Heaven, Saturn's Children, the Prefect, and Ninefox Gambit might fall into the category as well.
"Give a man a fire and he's warm for the day. But set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life." - Terry Pratchett, Jingo"Just erotic. Nothing kinky. It's the difference between using a feather and using a chicken." - Terry Pratchett, Eric
"Wisdom comes from experience. Experience is often a result of a lack of wisdom." - Terry Pratchett

#5 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 10 August 2017 - 02:41 AM

Check out Watts' RIFTER trilogy. It's free on his site.
Other than that... I'm blanking on good sf with a strong cyborg component.
It does arise in KOVACS, esp bk 3.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#6 User is offline   Salt-Man Z 

• My pen halts, though I do not
  • View gallery

Posted 10 August 2017 - 03:28 AM

Neal Asher's Polity books deal a lot with augmented humans, though it's part of the worldbuilding and never the crux of the plot or anything. I'd recommend his Transformation trilogy. (Those being the only Polity books I've read.)
"Here is light. You will say that it is not a living entity, but you miss the point that it is more, not less. Without occupying space, it fills the universe. It nourishes everything, yet itself feeds upon destruction. We claim to control it, but does it not perhaps cultivate us as a source of food? May it not be that all wood grows so that it can be set ablaze, and that men and women are born to kindle fires?"
―Gene Wolfe, The Citadel of the Autarch

#7 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 10 August 2017 - 03:40 AM

View PostTiste Simeon, on 09 August 2017 - 07:55 PM, said:

Looking for science fiction which explores the idea of human cybernetic augmentation and its effect on society.

Any ideas? Kovacs was one suggestion but that's not the main theme of the trilogy IIRC.

Morgan's Kovacs books do deal strongly with cybernetic augmentations, especially their uneven distribution across society. But if they don't fit what you're looking for, perhaps the following will:

George Alec Effinger's A Fire in the Sun has cybernetic augmentations that give people skills, languages, physical capabilities etc. It's also hilarious because it's based on hustlers trying to hustle, yet do good. (This book is part of a trilogy, but you should be fine reading just this or the first two, as the last one is no good at all).

Blade Runner deals with cybernetics so exquisite that they can make "humanity" hard to define.

Ghost in the Shell deals with similar concepts to Blade Runner in various forms, often recursive too.

Alistair Reynolds often deals with cybernetics, although his societies are more fragments than coherent wholes, due to everyone going around space in giant ships. Diamond Dogs in particular plays around with this.

I echo the Stross book above, the Watts books, the Rajaniemi books, and RoboCop for sure.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#8 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 10 August 2017 - 01:00 PM

View Postworry, on 09 August 2017 - 08:50 PM, said:

Posted Image

That font is FUCKED. Like whomever designed it, misunderstands the purpose of a font.

/GraphicDesign Rant
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#9 User is offline   acesn8s 

• Soletaken
  • Interests:Reading, video games, role playing games, Fountain Pens, journals...

Posted 10 August 2017 - 05:01 PM

Novels by William Gibson and Bruce Sterling, StreetLethal and Gorgon's Child by Steven Barnes, Hardwired by John Walter Williams.
“The others followed, and found themselves in a small, stuffy basement, which would have been damp, smelly, close, and dark, were it not, in fact, well-lit, which prevented it from being dark.”
― Steven Brust, The Phoenix Guards

#10 User is offline   Binder of Demons 

• Lord of Light
  • View gallery
  • - Thread Killer -

Posted 10 August 2017 - 09:44 PM

I would also say the Kovacs books, since they do deal with some of the societal effects of augmentation when it is your consciousness that is preserved rather than you body (increased lifespan, gender can be fluid, what does ethnicity mean any more). These aren't the main focus of the story but are there as part of the world, and all the better for it. There are also augmented bodies as well as part of the story. So it's a good all-rounder.

The POLITY books by Asher are good too, since he shows you a few different levels of augmentation, though again, the societal effects aren't really focussed on.

It's years since I read them, but NANCY KRESS wrote a few novels, BEGGARS IN SPAIN, and BEGGARS AND CHOOSERS which go into the fallout of some genetic modifications on society. They might be hard to get now though, despite Beggars in Spain winning the Hugo award as a novella and later being nominated for both the hugo and nebula as a novel.

I haven't read it myself yet, but maybe VERNOR VINGE's , Rainbows End might fit?

Charles Stross is also probably worth a look

It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt - Mark Twain

Never argue with an idiot!
They'll drag you down to their level, and then beat you with experience!
- Anonymous

#11 User is offline   Primateus 

• E Pluribus Anus
  • Interests:Stuff, lots of stuff!

Posted 10 August 2017 - 10:05 PM

Gary Gibson's The Shoal Trilogy. The first one is Stealing Light and rather heavily features cybernetic augmentations and how they affect society. I just finished the first one and it was a damned decent read!
Screw you all, and have a nice day!

#12 User is offline   Salt-Man Z 

• My pen halts, though I do not
  • View gallery

Posted 11 August 2017 - 02:55 AM

View PostBinder of Demons, on 10 August 2017 - 09:44 PM, said:

The POLITY books by Asher are good too, since he shows you a few different levels of augmentation, though again, the societal effects aren't really focussed on.

Part of why I'd recommend the Polity Transformation trilogy is because, even though there's no real societal focus, Asher still tackles a very broad spectrum of, well, transformations. You've got auged humans, golems, AIs, humans undergoing both forced transformations and self-inflicted ones, prador playing with augs and other biological metamorphoses, etc.
"Here is light. You will say that it is not a living entity, but you miss the point that it is more, not less. Without occupying space, it fills the universe. It nourishes everything, yet itself feeds upon destruction. We claim to control it, but does it not perhaps cultivate us as a source of food? May it not be that all wood grows so that it can be set ablaze, and that men and women are born to kindle fires?"
―Gene Wolfe, The Citadel of the Autarch

#13 User is offline   polishgenius 

• Heart of Courage
  • Group: LHTEC

Posted 11 August 2017 - 07:43 AM

Elizabeth Bear likes this theme: it features in both her Jenny Casey trilogy and in a much more out-there way in her Jacobs' Ladder trilogy.
I can't carry it for you, but I can carry you.

#14 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 11 August 2017 - 05:16 PM

I haven't read Lem's THE CYBERIAD but it's been reco'd to me a few times. Old school sf, ymmv.

Also old school/ymmv is Jerry Pournelle's WAR WORLD anthology series. I read the first few books ages ago and and have always wanted to revisit/finish. In a nutshell, the War World is Haven, a vicious chunk of rock in disputed territory between two empires where various factions, colonies, rejects, soldiers and others find themselves stuck. Cyborgs form one of the major factions as of the books i read, and how they adapt in all their cyborginess was a key part of the story. Some fairly big names, Turtledove, Sm Stirling, David Drake, contribute stories.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#15 User is offline   polishgenius 

• Heart of Courage
  • Group: LHTEC

Posted 11 August 2017 - 06:16 PM

I haven't read Lem's THE CYBERIAD but it's been reco'd to me a few times. Old school sf, ymmv.

The Cyberiad is great, but it's a satirical-philosophical series of mostly comedic short stories about robots and AI, not about cybernetic enhancement or anything.
I can't carry it for you, but I can carry you.

#16 User is offline   Whisperzzzzzzz 

• Reaper's Fail

Posted 12 August 2017 - 12:34 AM

Stross' Accelerando

Octavia Butler's Xenogenesis series

Reynolds' Revelation Space books, especially The Prefect

I'm surprised that I'm having trouble coming up with much else.

EDIT: Vernor Vinge's Rainbows End is a quite good fit.

This post has been edited by Whisperzzzzzzz: 12 August 2017 - 12:36 AM

#17 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 12 August 2017 - 11:06 PM

You guys are amazing.
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

Share this topic: