• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Deadhouse Gates after 2 years?

#1 User is offline   frostfiresvk 

• Recruit
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 17 July 2017 - 07:02 PM

Hi,

I've read Gardens of the Moon about 2 years ago and I remember I moderately liked it....it was nice but super complicated (yeah, everyone says that) and now 2 years later I'm thinking about picking it up again and going into the Deadhouse Gates. Problem is, I was already lost in the first book.....I can imagine it will only be worse in the second one with the 2 year gap. What's your advice guys? Re-read the first one? Go into the second one? Or isn't there some "Previously on Malazan Book of the Fallen" on the internet? ;)

Thanks.

#2 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 17 July 2017 - 07:06 PM

There are summaries here on the site. Try the search function.

However, given the complexity of the series, and it's goodness, I say just reread the first book. You'll thank yourself later.

#3 User is offline   Nevyn 

• Shield Anvil

Posted 17 July 2017 - 07:09 PM

View Postfrostfiresvk, on 17 July 2017 - 07:02 PM, said:

Hi,

I've read Gardens of the Moon about 2 years ago and I remember I moderately liked it....it was nice but super complicated (yeah, everyone says that) and now 2 years later I'm thinking about picking it up again and going into the Deadhouse Gates. Problem is, I was already lost in the first book.....I can imagine it will only be worse in the second one with the 2 year gap. What's your advice guys? Re-read the first one? Go into the second one? Or isn't there some "Previously on Malazan Book of the Fallen" on the internet? ;)

Thanks.

DO NOT READ THE WIKI.

Lol.

Deadhouse Gates has some carryover from GotM as well as many new characters. You ought to be able to enjoy it without a re-read of the first book. If something has you lost, you might do a selective re-read of the relevant parts of the first book to save some time.

And you can ask specific questions on here. Sometimes if you find the preview in Google books for something like GotM you can even text search it for references.

Just don't jump willy nilly into the wiki (or google character names) to remind yourself. You will run into spoilers. Almost everyone who posts on here with a "oops I got spoiled" story started googling about characters.

If you have the time for a re-read though, get to it. The third book relies more on Gardens than Deadhouse Gates does.
Tatts early in SH game: Hmm, so if I'm liberal I should have voted Nein to make sure I'm president? I'm not that selfish

Tatts later in SAME game: I'm going to be a corrupt official. I have turned from my liberal ways, and now will vote against the pesky liberals. Viva la Fascism.
When Venge's turn comes, he will get a yes from Mess, Dolmen, Nevyn and Venge but a no from the 3 fascists and me. **** with my Government, and i'll **** with yours

#4 User is offline   Coltaine - 

• First Sword

Posted 17 July 2017 - 08:32 PM

View PostNevyn, on 17 July 2017 - 07:09 PM, said:

View Postfrostfiresvk, on 17 July 2017 - 07:02 PM, said:

Hi,

I've read Gardens of the Moon about 2 years ago and I remember I moderately liked it....it was nice but super complicated (yeah, everyone says that) and now 2 years later I'm thinking about picking it up again and going into the Deadhouse Gates. Problem is, I was already lost in the first book.....I can imagine it will only be worse in the second one with the 2 year gap. What's your advice guys? Re-read the first one? Go into the second one? Or isn't there some "Previously on Malazan Book of the Fallen" on the internet? :)

Thanks.

DO NOT READ THE WIKI.

Lol.

Deadhouse Gates has some carryover from GotM as well as many new characters. You ought to be able to enjoy it without a re-read of the first book. If something has you lost, you might do a selective re-read of the relevant parts of the first book to save some time.

And you can ask specific questions on here. Sometimes if you find the preview in Google books for something like GotM you can even text search it for references.

Just don't jump willy nilly into the wiki (or google character names) to remind yourself. You will run into spoilers. Almost everyone who posts on here with a "oops I got spoiled" story started googling about characters.

If you have the time for a re-read though, get to it. The third book relies more on Gardens than Deadhouse Gates does.

Thanks Nevyn for appreciating all the hard work we are putting into the wiki to reduce spoilers and help people who are reading any of the books for the first time.

@frost

If you want absolutely no spoilers but a short summary of what has happend in every chapter start here. In case of GotM all chapters have already been summarized. ;)

http://malazan.wikia...e_Moon/Prologue

In case you are also searching for fan art without spoilers, here is the link for everything safe after reading Gardens of the Moon.

http://malazan.wikia...ens_of_the_Moon

Also Apt the Goose and Nevyn are right. A reread of the books is always great. Posted Image

#5 User is offline   TheHoundsCall 

• Corporal

Posted 18 July 2017 - 12:53 AM

Read the tor reread on GotM. Is summarizes every chapter. Just google tor reread Gardens of the Moon

#6 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 18 July 2017 - 01:31 AM

Nah, reread the book. GotM is short and quick.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#7 User is offline   End of Disc One 

• House Knight

Posted 18 July 2017 - 07:56 PM

Read the Tor reread, then reread the book, then reread the Tor reread. Then read Deadhouse Gates.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users