• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

hello all

#1 User is offline   masterofthedeck 

• Recruit
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:music, books, video games, movies, writing, tv

Posted 15 June 2017 - 09:01 PM

I just started Reaper's Gale after reading The Bonehunters. Read them all in release order. I own all the spin offs too but will wait to complete The Crippled God before starting them. I love this series. Getting to be as good as Wheel of Time for me.

Thanks for reading,
-Griffin

“PIPPIN: I didn't think it would end this way. GANDALF: End? No, the journey doesn't end here. Death is just another path, one that we all must take. The grey rain-curtain of this world rolls back, and all turns to silver glass, and then you see it. PIPPIN: What? Gandalf? See what? GANDALF: White shores, and beyond, a far green country under a swift sunrise. PIPPIN: Well, that isn't so bad. GANDALF: No. No, it isn't.”

#2 User is offline   Esa1996 

• Fist

Posted 15 June 2017 - 10:05 PM

Spin-offs? :clap: Esslemont's books were planned simultaneously with Erikson's books AFAIK so I wouldn't call them spin-offs :( Anyway, I really recommend reading the two first Esslemont books before Toll the Hounds as there are some pretty major spoilers for the second Esslemont book in TTH.

Other than that, welcome to the forums! :p

#3 User is offline   masterofthedeck 

• Recruit

Posted 16 June 2017 - 03:05 AM

ok i guess not spin offs i didnt know what to call them. im a newb to fantasy series. this is my 2nd one after WoT. thanks i will look into those 2 first!

“PIPPIN: I didn't think it would end this way. GANDALF: End? No, the journey doesn't end here. Death is just another path, one that we all must take. The grey rain-curtain of this world rolls back, and all turns to silver glass, and then you see it. PIPPIN: What? Gandalf? See what? GANDALF: White shores, and beyond, a far green country under a swift sunrise. PIPPIN: Well, that isn't so bad. GANDALF: No. No, it isn't.”

#4 User is offline   Coltaine - 

• First Sword

Posted 16 June 2017 - 10:43 AM

Welcome to the forum :(

We really had no masterofthedeck until now?

#5 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 16 June 2017 - 01:39 PM

I think we've had two or three... the last guy disappeared under mysterious circumstances that did not in any way involve predatory llamas, lightning machines, or an automated Jiffy Lube station.

...anyhow masterofthedeck, welcome! With just WoT as your fantasy intro, you're in for a real treat with this series. Consider esa's upthread advice, the ICE books are different but worth the eyetime and will enhance your read of the SE books.

...also you're not allergic to automotive wax, are you? ...or wool? ....and do you generally fully recover from minor electrocutions?
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#6 User is offline   masterofthedeck 

• Recruit

Posted 16 June 2017 - 08:33 PM

lol im not allergic to anything. minor electrocutions i can handle its the major ones ive had trouble with. would you say harry potter and lord of the rings are fantasy? ive read both those series too but i was younger. like i said before even starting malazan series i bought all like 20 books or whatever so i intend to read ian's books as well! but the order might change up based on what you guys have said. either way ive made it to the reaper's gale and despite it being sorta hard to get into at first it definitely paid off.

#7 User is offline   Itwæs Nom 

• Inquisitor of High House Mafia
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 16 June 2017 - 08:48 PM

Yeah lotr rulez
All things fall from kings to rose petals

#8 User is offline   Gorefest 

• Witness

Posted 16 June 2017 - 09:41 PM

In a way it is a bit sad, really. It's like buying your first mountain climbing DYI kit and then after tackling Mount Everest on your first outing, standing there bemused on the top of the world shouting to your sherpa in shock: "What do you mean, there is no higher peak?!" Well, at least you're only about halfway and there still are a few spin-offs coming. And there is always the obligatory reread and recommended rereread.

This post has been edited by Gorefest: 16 June 2017 - 09:42 PM

Yesterday, upon the stair, I saw a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today. Oh, how I wish he'd go away.

#9 User is offline   masterofthedeck 

• Recruit

Posted 16 June 2017 - 10:07 PM

ive got another series of books to start after this one that series is the riftwar saga. not sure if any of you have read it. though i only own like the first 10-12 books in the series for now. just haven't gotten around to buying the rest yet.

#10 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 17 June 2017 - 12:09 AM

Riftwar... wow. Will be interesting to see your take on it after WoT and Malazan.It's an old school classic. Opinions vary but best to make up your own mind when you get there.
HP and LotR are absolutely fantasy.

#11 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 17 June 2017 - 12:43 AM

I think HP is fantasy but LOTR and Game of Thrones really happened.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#12 User is offline   Grief 

• Prophet of High House Mafia

Posted 18 June 2017 - 06:38 PM

View Postmasterofthedeck, on 16 June 2017 - 10:07 PM, said:

ive got another series of books to start after this one that series is the riftwar saga. not sure if any of you have read it. though i only own like the first 10-12 books in the series for now. just haven't gotten around to buying the rest yet.

I'd hold off on buying more before you've read what you've got; the general consensus I've seen with Riftwar is that the quality declines after a while. Opinions differ on where it starts to go downhill though, so you might want more or you might not. I'd place it more in the WoT style of fantasy than Malazan. I definitely enjoyed a lot of the series.

Cougar said:

Grief, FFS will you do something with your sig, it's bloody awful

worry said:

Grief is right (until we abolish capitalism).

#13 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 19 June 2017 - 03:41 AM

View Postworry, on 17 June 2017 - 12:43 AM, said:

I think HP is fantasy but LOTR and Game of Thrones really happened.

You also think that Santa, the Easter Bunny, and Optimus Prime are real, so your opinion is moot.

#14 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 19 June 2017 - 03:58 AM

I've seen photos of each.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#15 User is offline   Gorefest 

• Witness

Posted 19 June 2017 - 11:36 AM

View PostAbyss, on 19 June 2017 - 03:41 AM, said:

You also think that Santa, the Easter Bunny, and Optimus Prime are real, so your opinion is moot.

You say it as if they are not. What do you know that we don't?
Yesterday, upon the stair, I saw a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today. Oh, how I wish he'd go away.

#16 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 19 June 2017 - 02:04 PM

View PostGorefest, on 19 June 2017 - 11:36 AM, said:

View PostAbyss, on 19 June 2017 - 03:41 AM, said:

You say it as if they are not. What do you know that we don't?

Santa is really Odin, the Easter Bunny is a werewolf fucking around, and Optimus Prime was killed in 1986.
...and Gorefest, i saw Optimus Prime, i knew Optimus Prime, Optimus Prime was a friend of mine and THAT GUY IS NO OPTIMUS PRIME.

#17 User is offline   Gorefest 

• Witness

Posted 19 June 2017 - 02:31 PM

Geewunn!

#18 User is offline   HKShaman 

• Recruit

Posted 23 June 2017 - 11:25 PM

:(

#19 User is offline   jamesholver9 

• Recruit

Posted 27 June 2017 - 07:21 AM

Hi everyone)
How are you?
I am new here))))

#20 User is offline   HKShaman 

• Recruit

Posted 28 July 2017 - 10:33 PM

I've tried 3 times to read Esselmonts stuff. Unfortunately he comes nowhere near the writing ability of Erickson. He's not terrible, just "flat". I can't seem to care about "Kyle" (why am I always thinking South Park when I hear Kyle?). No offense to Esselmont I love the Malazan universe.

View Postmasterofthedeck, on 15 June 2017 - 09:01 PM, said:

I just started Reaper's Gale after reading The Bonehunters. Read them all in release order. I own all the spin offs too but will wait to complete The Crippled God before starting them. I love this series. Getting to be as good as Wheel of Time for me.

Thanks for reading,
-Griffin

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users