Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

I didn't like the Chain of Dogs

#1 User is offline   Peter Crøss 

• Recruit
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 12 June 2017 - 03:51 PM

It's not long ago since I finished Deadhouse Gates and it seems that everyone enjoyed chapters with Coltaine and Duidrik (I propably mispelled the names but in Czech they are translated) but for me it was the most boring part of the book. I didn't like the character of Coltaine and this whole part was just boring. Also the battle parts were absolutely confusing and I didn't like them. But now I am a little bit scared because a lot of people say that DG is the best book of the series and the Chain of Dogs is one of the highlights so I am scared that I won't enjoy the rest of the books when I didn't really enjoy this. I mean.. I really liked the Felisin storyline even though she is terrible person and I quite enjoyed Kalam's storyline especially when he was with Apt and I would love to see more of Apt, she's so interesting. So I would like to ask if there is someone who didn't really enjoy the Chain of Dogs or am I the only one? And Sorry for my English, but it's not my first language.

#2 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 12 June 2017 - 04:05 PM

Yep, it's just you.
And if you'll move a little closer to the window and maybe turn sideways and stay still we'll take care of that little problem.

Just kidding, if you enjoyed Kalam and Felisin's stories, there's tonnes for you to enjoy in the rest of the series.

The next book, Memories of Ice, is very different in tone and stories, so it would be worth continuing just to see how you enjoy that.

The Chain of Dogs is pretty unique and special and the fact that you didn't like it means you're cold and dead inside but it's not necessarily everyone's favourite thing heretic die die die nor it is the ultimate example of everything else this series has to offer just the bestest example you unworthy heathen.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#3 User is offline   nacht 

• Mortal Sword

Posted 12 June 2017 - 04:17 PM

Strategic Military Retreats are not for everybody.

Like Movies, not every one appeals to everybody.

I personally don't like DG as much as I like some other books in the series. I love GotM, MT, BH, RG more)

#4 User is offline   nacht 

• Mortal Sword

Posted 12 June 2017 - 04:19 PM

Abyss, on 12 June 2017 - 04:05 PM, said:

Yep, it's just you.
And if you'll move a little closer to the window and maybe turn sideways and stay still we'll take care of that little problem.

Just kidding, if you enjoyed Kalam and Felisin's stories, there's tonnes for you to enjoy in the rest of the series.

The next book, Memories of Ice, is very different in tone and stories, so it would be worth continuing just to see how you enjoy that.

The Chain of Dogs is pretty unique and special and the fact that you didn't like it means you're cold and dead inside but it's not necessarily everyone's favourite thing heretic die die die nor it is the ultimate example of everything else this series has to offer just the bestest example you unworthy heathen.

Don't mind the lord of Cats. Every now and then it likes eating brains.

#5 User is offline   Vengeance 

• High Priest of Shinrei Love and Worship
  • very good...;)

Posted 12 June 2017 - 04:47 PM

Peter Crøss, on 12 June 2017 - 03:51 PM, said:

It's not long ago since I finished Deadhouse Gates and it seems that everyone enjoyed chapters with Coltaine and Duidrik (I propably mispelled the names but in Czech they are translated) but for me it was the most boring part of the book. I didn't like the character of Coltaine and this whole part was just boring. Also the battle parts were absolutely confusing and I didn't like them. But now I am a little bit scared because a lot of people say that DG is the best book of the series and the Chain of Dogs is one of the highlights so I am scared that I won't enjoy the rest of the books when I didn't really enjoy this. I mean.. I really liked the Felisin storyline even though she is terrible person and I quite enjoyed Kalam's storyline especially when he was with Apt and I would love to see more of Apt, she's so interesting. So I would like to ask if there is someone who didn't really enjoy the Chain of Dogs or am I the only one? And Sorry for my English, but it's not my first language.

Each book is writting slightly differently and addresses a different underlying topic. While I like DHG it isn't my favorite book in the series. If you enjoyed parts of DHG then keep reading as the series gets better with each book.
How many fucking people do I have to hammer in order to get that across.
Hinter - Vengy - DIE. I trusted you you bastard!!!!!!!

Steven Erikson made drowning in alien cum possible - Obdigore

#6 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 12 June 2017 - 05:43 PM

nacht, on 12 June 2017 - 04:17 PM, said:

...I personally don't like DG as much as I like some other books in the series. I love GotM, MT, BH, RG more)

Vengeance, on 12 June 2017 - 04:47 PM, said:

...While I like DHG it isn't my favorite book in the series. ...

Note to self: delete nacht and Vengeance's memberships, posts, bank accounts, medical records...
I swear it's like i don't even know you anymore...

I'm taking names, heretics!!!!!
Go stand by a well lit window and say that, i dare you!
Commencing orbital bombardment in 3... 2....

...what were we talking about...?

#7 User is offline   Kruppe of Darujhistan 

• Justly Vilified
  • Cheating Hood since 1955

Posted 12 June 2017 - 05:56 PM

Having just finished DG, it's my favorite in the series. As I move on to MoI, that soon will become my favorite. Just the way it is.

It had been a long time since I'd read DG. I skipped it last time around because it was loaned out. It's still loaned out, but I bought a new one. Glad I did. I appreciate the Chain of Dogs so much more on a reread. I suspect the OPer will agree on his next time around.
What is not forbidden is mandatory.

#8 User is offline   Vengeance 

• High Priest of Shinrei Love and Worship
  • very good...;)

Posted 12 June 2017 - 06:46 PM

Abyss, on 12 June 2017 - 05:43 PM, said:

nacht, on 12 June 2017 - 04:17 PM, said:

...I personally don't like DG as much as I like some other books in the series. I love GotM, MT, BH, RG more)

Vengeance, on 12 June 2017 - 04:47 PM, said:

...While I like DHG it isn't my favorite book in the series. ...

Note to self: delete nacht and Vengeance's memberships, posts, bank accounts, medical records...
I swear it's like i don't even know you anymore...

I'm taking names, heretics!!!!!
Go stand by a well lit window and say that, i dare you!
Commencing orbital bombardment in 3... 2....

...what were we talking about...?

The chain is great. But I cried reading parts of MOI. I even cried the last time I read MOI. Which was probably my 12th reading of that book. I laughed at HOC and cheered reading Bonehunter. I cried and laughed while reading MT and Reapers. So while the chain touched me. It didn't effect me like the others.
How many fucking people do I have to hammer in order to get that across.
Hinter - Vengy - DIE. I trusted you you bastard!!!!!!!

Steven Erikson made drowning in alien cum possible - Obdigore

#9 User is offline   Esa1996 

• Fist

Posted 12 June 2017 - 07:49 PM

Peter Crøss, on 12 June 2017 - 03:51 PM, said:

You are not the only one. While I didn't dislike the chain of dogs storyline, it was definitely my least favorite in the book. About DG being the best in the series? Well, again I disagree :D Were I to rank the books it would go something like this: Memories of Ice, Bonehunters > Deadhouse Gates, House of Chains, Reaper's Gale, Toll the Hounds, The Crippled God > Gardens of the Moon, Midnight Tides, Dust of Dreams

#10 User is offline   Sindriss 

• Walker of Edges

Posted 12 June 2017 - 07:56 PM

Insanity to put MT second last and you should feel bad!

I would like to know if Steve have ever tasted anything like the quorl white milk, that knocked the bb's out.

A: Nope, but I gots me a good imagination.

#11 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 12 June 2017 - 08:11 PM

Sindriss, on 12 June 2017 - 07:56 PM, said:

Insanity to put MT second last and you should feel bad!

Likes/dislikes are entirely subjective and no one person is necessarily going to like the same thHERETIC CHAIN OF DOGS HATERS WILL ALL BE CHAINED UP AND WHIPPED LIKE DOGS WHEN THE REVOLUTIONS COMEShow we prefer to ensure the forum is an inclusive and friendly place.

#12 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 12 June 2017 - 08:36 PM

The order goes Memories of Ice, Deadhouse Gates, Midnight Tides, Gardens of the Moon, House of Chains, Dancer's Lament, Night of Knives... and the rest is sort of a pile of slowly more disappointing releases.

#13 User is offline   BedofGold 

• Recruit

Posted 06 July 2017 - 04:55 PM

Honestly, I liked the characters but military maneuvering bores me to tears, so I feel you. I really enjoyed the character relationships and how we kind of got to see both sides leading up to the battle at the end, but man military tactics kill me. I felt less confused reading DH than I did with GotM, which is just how it goes, but I enjoyed the storylines of GotM more, however the storylines up to MoI (what I'm currently reading) are a vast improvement in my opinion

#14 User is offline   animext 

• Recruit

Posted 14 July 2017 - 04:59 AM

DHG was the hardest book for me to get into out of the whole series, but about midway through I realized that I was going to binge read this whole series.

Spectacular.

#15 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 14 July 2017 - 02:49 PM

animext, on 14 July 2017 - 04:59 AM, said:

DHG was the hardest book for me to get into out of the whole series, but about midway through I realized that I was going to binge read this whole series.

Spectacular.

Heh.... i envy you knowing you have eighteen+ more books ahead of you for that binge (eight more MBF, six ME, the novellas... and then the Kharkanas and the Paths to Ascendency trilos both of which might be complete by the time you get there...)

When i had that realization i 'only' had MoI and HoC to look forward to.

#16 User is offline   Gorefest 

• Witness

Posted 14 July 2017 - 03:27 PM

Pfff, when I realised that SE hadn't even been born yet and we had to read by candle light in hieroglyphics on a cave wall. And Gardens of the Moon was barely a patch of soil on an asteroid.
Yesterday, upon the stair, I saw a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today. Oh, how I wish he'd go away.

#17 User is offline   torwart 

• Recruit

Posted 15 July 2017 - 12:41 PM

I loved the Chain of Dogs storyline, but I wouldn't say that it is necessarily the best book in the series. This is just a personal opinion that happens to be shared by many. I read through Midnight Tides so far (and am now reading Night of Knives before I move on with the main Eriksson's series), and I loved every single one of the books, which I actually find stunning (I sincerely cannot even rank them, whilst I used to love ranking, say, books in a series or songs in an album). You see, it's not mathematics - if several people preferred DG above anything else, it doesn't mean that that should apply to you, and that by some kind of inference you must like the rest of the series less than DG :apt2:

Consider that the attractiveness of the Chain of Dogs storyline is mostly appealing to those who like military/epic stuff, the pathos of self-sacrificing, the curiousity of what the next trick of the Malazans would be to avoid annihilation, and the hope to once more enjoy the frustration of the rebels at their umpteenth failure. We are all different and we all enjoy different things - and some are very selective, some enjoy several different topics and themes. Enjoy your further reading!

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users