Malazan Empire: HELLBOY: RISE OF THE BLOOD QUEEN - Malazan Empire

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

HELLBOY: RISE OF THE BLOOD QUEEN Reboot discussion!

#1 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 07 June 2017 - 01:47 PM

Well, I had not realized this was as far along as it is. I had assumed it was still in the talking stages...but it turns out it's actually gone into production!

First this poster showed up at Cannes:

Attached File  cannes-hellboy.jpg (258.82K)
Number of downloads: 0

Then Patton Oswalt (ever the awesome nerd!) organized an armistice dinner and drinks between new Hellboy David Harbour and original Hellboy Ron Perlman!

Attached File  HarbourPerlmanOswalt.png (366.87K)

And now Harbour is being fitted/cast with his version of Red's Right hand!

Attached File  HB-Harbour.png (428.37K)

Anyways, as already stated in the "Movie" thread, I'm super excited about this because I feel Harbour is an inspired choice for Red, I LOVE the directors previous work, I love that Mignola and Christopher Golden are penning the script themselves, and I love that it seems like they are aiming to adapt the source material more explicitly this time.

Excited to see where this goes!
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#2 User is offline   Morgoth 

• executor emeritus
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 07 June 2017 - 02:05 PM

On one side I really like Hellboy, but on the other I suffer from severe reboot/prologue/sequel fatigue.
Take good care to keep relations civil
It's decent in the first of gentlemen
To speak friendly, Even to the devil

#3 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 07 June 2017 - 02:15 PM

View PostMorgoth, on 07 June 2017 - 02:05 PM, said:

On one side I really like Hellboy, but on the other I suffer from severe reboot/prologue/sequel fatigue.

I agree. I think I'm stocking my hopes in the fact that this will be a different animal than the thing it's technically rebooting.

Like how JUDGE DREDD (which is garbage and didn't understand the character or setting) was rebooted into DREDD (which totally understood the character and setting).

If that makes sense?

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 07 June 2017 - 02:15 PM

"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#4 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 07 June 2017 - 02:16 PM

Huh, considering all the news a months or so ago (It was recent wasn't it?) about Pearlman being done and the Del Toro threequel falling through, I thought the franchise was dead. Sounds as though what was really going on was the studio/Mignola were moving on.

David Harbour as Hellboy seems like a strange casting decision but then again, so was Pearlman back in the 90s. Looking at the photos the only thing I actually focus on is their jaw. Harbour has the facial shape to make it work, I guess, the rest is just make-up.

I just don't really see Harbour filling the shoes of Pearlman. He has the height, but he doesn't have that neanderthal appearance and a voice that sounds like it's worn out from chewing gravel and drinking whiskey.

Shit, I think I'm going to go see if Hellboy is on Netflix or something. I feel like watching those two films again.

#5 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 07 June 2017 - 02:25 PM

View PostSeduce Goose, on 07 June 2017 - 02:16 PM, said:

Huh, considering all the news a months or so ago (It was recent wasn't it?) about Pearlman being done and the Del Toro threequel falling through, I thought the franchise was dead. Sounds as though what was really going on was the studio/Mignola were moving on.

David Harbour as Hellboy seems like a strange casting decision but then again, so was Pearlman back in the 90s. Looking at the photos the only thing I actually focus on is their jaw. Harbour has the facial shape to make it work, I guess, the rest is just make-up.

I just don't really see Harbour filling the shoes of Pearlman. He has the height, but he doesn't have that neanderthal appearance and a voice that sounds like it's worn out from chewing gravel and drinking whiskey.

Shit, I think I'm going to go see if Hellboy is on Netflix or something. I feel like watching those two films again.

Not the same studio...from what I understand Mignola had the rights, so he was able to shop around. He posted on his FB a day after the threequel went tits up that "just because there was not going to be another HB with GDT, that didn't mean that HB would not be going forward with someone else". He found Neil Marshall, and Harbour, and is co-writing the film himself with one of the other HB writers, Christopher Golden.

David Harbour has the same basic structure as Perlman, and actually his voice is pretty low and gravelly. He's certainly got big shoes to fill, but I think he can do it (not just based off his performance in STRANGER THINGS...but also in MANHATTAN Season 1.

I just want a Hellboy that more resembles what he is in the comics: The blue collar schlub gothic detective who also happens to be a demon/devil from another plane of existence. He's not a superhero.

#6 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 07 June 2017 - 02:56 PM

wait wait wait wait wait...... Christopher Golden?
THAT Christopher Golden?
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#7 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 07 June 2017 - 02:56 PM

I don't know what version of Hellboy comics you're reading, but the character has flexed from being a goof to a King of Hell. The prior two movies were one interpretation - and a good one at that.

He's not actually much of a detective and almost every story he's featured in has him basically bumbling into everything and experiencing what is going on, rather than figuring things out.

It's the others that do the brainpower stuff.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#8 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 07 June 2017 - 03:06 PM

View PostAbyss, on 07 June 2017 - 02:56 PM, said:

THAT Christopher Golden?

Yes.

View Postamphibian, on 07 June 2017 - 02:56 PM, said:

I don't know what version of Hellboy comics you're reading, but the character has flexed from being a goof to a King of Hell. The prior two movies were one interpretation - and a good one at that.

He's not actually much of a detective and almost every story he's featured in has him basically bumbling into everything and experiencing what is going on, rather than figuring things out.

It's the others that do the brainpower stuff.

I don't know what to say to this other than "Yes, I've read the Hellboy comics", and clearly I've interpreted them differently than you have. *shrug*

And for the record, Mike Mignola was very unhappy with how HB2 turned out from a story and character angle, and had his issues with HB1 (even though that one is better and closer to the course material) especially with how Liz was portrayed, and the fact that Hellboy was kind of sidelined as "unleashed Superhero monster" side character in his own movie...in favour of the stupid human audience proxy (who they realized they needed to ditch in HB2). I would assume he's a pretty solid choice as who to believe about "what Hellboy is".

Hellboy IS a blue collar Gothic Detective. His bumbling or otherwise is besides the point, as is the help he has from his squad of BPRD operatives. The description stands and is accurate.

GDT made Hellboy into a "Superhero in a Cage". He made him into The Hulk if he was on the Fantastic Four. Sure the personality was pretty close (in general...none of this bemoaning Liz as his love interest crapola), but the presentation of him (and Abe for that matter) are off the mark.

#9 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 07 June 2017 - 04:10 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 07 June 2017 - 03:06 PM, said:

THAT Christopher Golden?

Yes.

Oh.

Well.

Huh.

Soooooo.... how about that Wonder Woman movie ....

#10 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 07 June 2017 - 04:12 PM

View PostAbyss, on 07 June 2017 - 04:10 PM, said:

THAT Christopher Golden?

Yes.

Oh.

Well.

Huh.

I fail to understand. The guys a pretty solid writer. His Saints and Shadows series is solid, his existing HB work has been good, and his old Buffy novels were a lot of fun.

#11 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 07 June 2017 - 04:40 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 07 June 2017 - 04:12 PM, said:

View PostAbyss, on 07 June 2017 - 04:10 PM, said:

THAT Christopher Golden?

Yes.

Oh.

Well.

Huh.

I fail to understand. The guys a pretty solid writer. His Saints and Shadows series is solid, his existing HB work has been good, and his old Buffy novels were a lot of fun.

Hey, if you dig him all good. He writes a tonne of stuff and he's obviously working hard and getting paid which is more than a lot of authors can say.
Moi, i find his stuff trite, reliant on old and overdone tropes, and by-the-numbers at best. Including his Hellboy work.

#12 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 07 June 2017 - 04:58 PM

View PostAbyss, on 07 June 2017 - 04:40 PM, said:

Hey, if you dig him all good. He writes a tonne of stuff and he's obviously working hard and getting paid which is more than a lot of authors can say.
Moi, i find his stuff trite, reliant on old and overdone tropes, and by-the-numbers at best. Including his Hellboy work.

Fair enough.

#13 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 07 June 2017 - 05:07 PM

Just watched the first half of Hellboy 1.

This is an awkward film. I recognize the things I liked about it but boy is the writing bad and the manuscript tries to do way too many things at once.

In that sense a reboot feels very welcome.

Regarding the nature of the Hellboy character, I am with Quick. Hellboy in the original comic albums I've read is clearly meant to be some kind of supernatural agent/detective of some kind. He wonders around examining places of bad juju, raising the dead to interrogate them, etc. He even wears an old trenchcoat and uses a 6 shot revolver.

#14 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 07 June 2017 - 05:20 PM

View PostSeduce Goose, on 07 June 2017 - 05:07 PM, said:

Just watched the first half of Hellboy 1.

This is an awkward film. I recognize the things I liked about it but boy is the writing bad and the manuscript tries to do way too many things at once.

The worst offences of the first film are:

Sidelining Hellboy for Meyers as Audience Proxy.
The Liz and Hellboy Romance (this is the most bizarre offence....as in the comics Hellboy and Liz have a sort of father/daughter dynamic and it's never, ever romantic). I heard that Mignola was REALLY against this, and GDT fought for it.
Meyers being a third wheel in a stupid love triangle with the above.
Treating Hellboy like a Superhero monster they release to fight evil, and then cage back up as opposed to a member of the team.
No other BPRD members but Abe and HB...the regular joes on the team are important, but GDT never bothered with them.

So while I can enjoy the movie...I can't connect it to the HB comics I've read as I feel it was forced into too many "Tropes" to be a successful and interesting adaptation of the source material.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users