Malazan Empire: My first time to finish Reaper's Gale. - Malazan Empire

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

My first time to finish Reaper's Gale. After starting at about almost 3 years ago. lel

#1 User is offline   Yirenar 

• Recruit
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:RPG, Video Games, Basketball (used to be), TV Series, Movies, Books, Epic Fantasy, Swords, Love

Posted 31 May 2017 - 07:48 AM

Hi there!

I have only found out about this website just about a week ago although I have been reading the series for 5 years now(Read the first 6 books in 2 years). I was very active at tumblr with the #malazan #malazanbookofthefallen tags but I am not quite active now. I'm that kind of guy who gets very active and disappears and gets very active again so I might just disappear. Anyhow, I follow everyone there who posts anything in those tags because I have proven that most of the people who like these books are somewhat dear friends who I will never meet and get to know. So in tumblr, my user name is 'feedingthefantasy', so if anyone knows me there, hi!

Anyway, It took me a very lengthy read to finish this book because of work, life, etc. Anyway, as all books of the series, I hated and loved the book. I hated the first half of it because it took me a long time to get through to it and all the while I was building up the fight between Karsa and Rhulad at the end of it. I guess I was disappointed with how the fight went but it is what it is. I have a mindset that everything happens for a reason later on as I read through the next books.

I'm sure I have a lot of similar sentiments with everyone here as how some character just dies because they just have to (Or maybe it should happen for other things to evolve and transpire into something even more bigger). But really, Trull and Seren were together, there's nothing more they would add to the series but peace and love. No, Mr. E you just have to kill the dude and not leave him be. Just because. I hope Quick Ben send you to where that backstabber went. F--- you! (kidding! love ya!)

Usually I post quotes from every book that I really liked and share it with a lot of people here, but for now I just want to share my favorite part of the whole book. It may as well be the very defining moment of the series. I for one is still astonished as to how it all played out. When Hellian dived for the booze during the fight and ended up with a lid. Wow! Beats Beak's moment by far or any other moments throughout the series! Hellian for the win!

Before I go to book 8 which is Toll the Hounds (yes, we are already typing through a keyboard or through your phone, sh*tty acronyms! It's only allowed when you have already mentioned it you lazy ass!). Should I read a book related but is not part of the 10 book series? I plan to just read books 1-10 in that order then start the other creations in the Malazan universe.

#2 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 31 May 2017 - 08:01 AM

It's "best" to read the first two Esslemont books before TTH, for sideways spoiler reasons, buuuut if you wanna wait then it won't destroy your main series experience. You'll just fill in a few puzzle pieces later than is ideal.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#3 User is offline   Yirenar 

• Recruit
  • Interests:RPG, Video Games, Basketball (used to be), TV Series, Movies, Books, Epic Fantasy, Swords, Love

Posted 31 May 2017 - 08:19 AM

View Postworry, on 31 May 2017 - 08:01 AM, said:

It's "best" to read the first two Esslemont books before TTH, for sideways spoiler reasons, buuuut if you wanna wait then it won't destroy your main series experience. You'll just fill in a few puzzle pieces later than is ideal.

Thank you for enlightening me of this. I knew people here are great! Now that you mentioned it, I guess I would refer to the chronological timeline as proposed by one of the posters here.

Also, if you are not too busy, I somehow skimmed through the madness of Icarium scene or didn't understand what I was reading and went along. Do you know which book and which chapter it was from? I think it's explained in Deadhouse Gates but I can't recall. :D I just want to re-read that part because ever since I've been reading the whole thing and I can't relate to why they are so nervous whenever Icarium gets near. I know it's something dreadful and devastating but I must know the details!

#4 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 31 May 2017 - 08:56 AM

I got this from the Wiki which you shouldn't visit until you finish the books. It's an excerpt from Deadhouse Gates.

It is less a curse, than a…residue. The death of an Azath House releases all manner of forces, energies – not just those belonging to the denizens in their earthen tombs. There is, burned into Icarium’s soul, something like an infection, or, perhaps, a parasite. Its nature is chaos, and the effect is one of discontinuity. It defies progression, of thought, of spirit, of life itself. Mappo, that infection must be expunged, if you would save Icarium.
-------Cotillion, speaking to Mappo Trell regarding how Icarium contracted his condition, and how it can be cured.

There's other various mentions and you'll learn more in books to come so don't get bogged down in trying to remember everything just yet.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#5 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 31 May 2017 - 06:12 PM

View PostYirenar, on 31 May 2017 - 07:48 AM, said:

... for now I just want to share my favorite part of the whole book. It may as well be the very defining moment of the series. I for one is still astonished as to how it all played out. When Hellian dived for the booze during the fight and ended up with a lid. Wow! Beats Beak's moment by far or any other moments throughout the series! Hellian for the win!...

You're going to fit in just fine. :D
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users