• You cannot reply to this topic

Stephen King's "IT" move adaption Bubba is going to love this

#41 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 10 April 2017 - 03:11 PM

View PostBriar King, on 10 April 2017 - 05:09 AM, said:

Wow just wow. The smokehouse bit was so fucking epic! This HAS to be shown but I doubt it will. May throw people off. Epic

Seriously difficult to reproduce in a visual medium without major revision.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#42 User is offline   WinterPhoenix 

• First Sword
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 10 April 2017 - 03:57 PM

I'm just waiting to hear BK's opinions on the two 'finales' as it were, their confrontation with Pennywise as children and adults. Some of that shit down there gets waaaay beyond mental, I'm pretty sure some of it won't make it to film, and some it probably just wouldn't work on film at all anyhow.
"I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust." T.S Eliot - The Wasteland

#43 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 10 April 2017 - 07:39 PM

I'm gonna say it can work on film if the filmmaker is daring enough and has studio support, but a lot of people just aren't gonna like it anyway. Which is fine. I didn't like it the first time I read the book as a teen either, but I liked it a lot more when I reread it as an adult (even if I still didn't exactly get it). That's the adult finale mind you. I know what you're talking about with the kid finale and I have zero doubt they are not gonna film that thing that happens.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#44 User is offline   WinterPhoenix 

• First Sword

Posted 10 April 2017 - 09:56 PM

View Postworry, on 10 April 2017 - 07:39 PM, said:

I'm gonna say it can work on film if the filmmaker is daring enough and has studio support, but a lot of people just aren't gonna like it anyway. Which is fine. I didn't like it the first time I read the book as a teen either, but I liked it a lot more when I reread it as an adult (even if I still didn't exactly get it). That's the adult finale mind you. I know what you're talking about with the kid finale and I have zero doubt they are not gonna film that thing that happens.

Oh yeah, no for sure that will not make it to film, no way, no how, don't doubt that for a second.

I guess thinking about it my comments about how it will all translate to film are pretty much aimed at the adult finale actually. The kid finale is incredibly dark in places and for sure 'that' will not make it, but otherwise it shouldn't be overly difficult to translate to a film medium, and will hopefully work quite well.

The adult finale on the other hand! I really do wonder just how a lot of that will translate to the screen, I think you're probably right, a daring filmmaker with the right support could make it happen, I agree that a lot of people will dislike it anyhow. If it's simplified or excised then a lot of book fans will rightly be a bit pissed as well I think. So we'll see. It is a complete and utter mindfuck in the original medium, one that threw me for a loop. I really need to read the book again, been ages, see if my, erm, understanding has increased! lol

This post has been edited by WinterPhoenix: 10 April 2017 - 09:59 PM

#45 User is offline   WinterPhoenix 

• First Sword

Posted 10 April 2017 - 10:18 PM

No spoilers BK, all talked about in the vaguest of possible terms, 'that', 'this' etc. It will make you wonder what's coming though, but nothing is spoiled :)

#46 User is offline   WinterPhoenix 

• First Sword

Posted 11 April 2017 - 02:25 AM

Yeah me and worry were talking cryptically about stuff that happens in the adult finale of the book, you'll understand I'm pretty certain, exactly what we were talking about when you get to it. The smokehouse scene is another one that might not make it to the film though I agree, as Abyss said above in reply I fear it'd be difficult to reproduce on film, particularly in a way that won't simply turn people away at any rate. It does deserve to be shown though I agree, if it could do the scene justice. The parts of the adult finale me and worry 'discussed' above (I'm pretty sure we're talking about the same stuff lol) could potentially suffer from very similar issues in transitioning to film, not to mention it is simply mindbending as fuck tbh. And that is the technical definition lol :)

As for the scene in the kid finale that definitely won't make it in, you'll know it when you get there.

#47 User is offline   Slow Ben 

• Ranger

Posted 11 April 2017 - 02:31 AM

I'm gonna have to read it.
I've always been crazy but its kept me from going insane.

#48 User is offline   WinterPhoenix 

• First Sword

Posted 14 April 2017 - 02:53 AM

View PostBriar King, on 14 April 2017 - 12:47 AM, said:

Da fuq am I reading?

Lol, what did you get to?

#49 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer
  • Interests:Football

Posted 14 April 2017 - 04:59 AM

View PostBriar King, on 14 April 2017 - 04:47 AM, said:

Everything. Finished in 14 days. Would have been 12 easy but I had 2 back to back only 40 pgs read in day. Bottom line for my slow pace I fucked this bk up and I'm genuinely fucking excited about that...

Spoiler

This bk was damn near perfect imo. Only have 1 gripe from 1 of the timelines. I'm sure it's not hard to know which gripe it is.

IIRC
Spoiler

Trouble arrives when the opponents to such a system institute its extreme opposite, where individualism becomes godlike and sacrosanct, and no greater service to any other ideal (including community) is possible. In such a system rapacious greed thrives behind the guise of freedom, and the worst aspects of human nature come to the fore....

#50 User is offline   WinterPhoenix 

• First Sword

Posted 14 April 2017 - 07:14 AM

View PostBriar King, on 14 April 2017 - 04:47 AM, said:

Everything. Finished in 14 days. Would have been 12 easy but I had 2 back to back only 40 pgs read in day. Bottom line for my slow pace I fucked this bk up and I'm genuinely fucking excited about that...

Spoiler

This bk was damn near perfect imo. Only have 1 gripe from 1 of the timelines. I'm sure it's not hard to know which gripe it is.

It is a great book, I still to this day vacillate between It and The Stand as my favourite King book. I think in the end, though there are parts about the endings of both that annoy me in terms of 'pay-off' so to speak it's probably The Stand where the errors on that front are far more egregious in my opinion. At any rate congratumalations on as you say 'fucking this book up'. :(

I'm guessing the gripe is related to the child timeline?
Spoiler
Yeah that is truly messed up, reading that at like 12-13 was decidedly odd as experiences go, it convinced me King was insane - well the novel in general managed that to be honest, though this was before I knew much at all about his personal life, alcoholism and drug abuse etc.

On the subject of the cosmic Turtle though and all that surrounds those scenes in the book, now that you've finished I'm interested to hear how you think it might all be treated on screen? Definitely going to have to re read this again before the movie comes out for sure. Reckon I'ma find it impossible to convince Sarah to come see it with me when it does though lol

On another note, really need to read DT at some point. Started The Gunslinger 3 times in the past, put it down every time.

This post has been edited by WinterPhoenix: 14 April 2017 - 07:15 AM

#51 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer

Posted 14 April 2017 - 02:26 PM

The Gunslinger is GotM in comparison. Then it gets better. I think it peaks at Book 4, Wizards and Glass, but still thoroughly enjoyed all.
Trouble arrives when the opponents to such a system institute its extreme opposite, where individualism becomes godlike and sacrosanct, and no greater service to any other ideal (including community) is possible. In such a system rapacious greed thrives behind the guise of freedom, and the worst aspects of human nature come to the fore....

#52 User is offline   Slow Ben 

• Ranger

Posted 14 April 2017 - 04:47 PM

View PostHoosierDaddy, on 14 April 2017 - 02:26 PM, said:

I think it peaks at Book 4, Wizards and Glass, but still thoroughly enjoyed all.

View PostBriar King, on 14 April 2017 - 03:04 PM, said:

Bk 4 is one of the greatest bks I've ever read. The beauty of it is astonishing. I literally cried in some parts during it.

I like you guys.

#53 User is offline   WinterPhoenix 

• First Sword

Posted 15 April 2017 - 12:04 AM

I have up to book 4 - possibly 5, but defo at least 4 - in my room, sitting in a box. We'll see how long it takes to get round to reading them lol
GotM actually grabbed me pretty much from the off tbh, though i'm very aware that isn't the case with everyone and it is definitely the 'worst' in the series if such a title must be bestowed on any of them. There are other books I've failed to finish multiple times before finally doing so and loving it, wondering all the while why I couldn't finish it from the get go. So one day we'll see I imagine.

This post has been edited by WinterPhoenix: 15 April 2017 - 12:11 AM

#54 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer

Posted 15 April 2017 - 12:10 AM

They come in a paperback box set, so that's probably what you have. I read Wolves, Song, and TDT as they came out.

#55 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer

Posted 15 April 2017 - 12:13 AM

FYI, for those of you who haven't read it yet, Revival is I think the scariest King book since Pet Semetary. Highly recommended. But, I think I've read everyone of his books but Carrie, Firestarter, Eyes of the Dragon, and a couple others. Need to read Misery, Gerald's Game, and Delores Claybourne (sp) as well.

#56 User is offline   Slow Ben 

• Ranger

Posted 15 April 2017 - 01:11 AM

I don't think IT, but it has big DT tie ins.

And it was pretty solid as well, although like no it's been years since I've read it.

#57 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer

Posted 15 April 2017 - 01:18 AM

Erm, HUGE tie-ins. Like literally the most connected book to the TDT sequence that isn't one of the 7 (8 if you add A Keyhole).

#58 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 15 April 2017 - 03:05 AM

Dreamcatcher is actually a post-IT Derry book that has lots of little references to IT, even though it's not a direct sequel. It's uhhhhh a pretty decent read. I mean it's interesting and exciting and very easy to get into, but it's also SK at his most scatological and I'm not sure it all holds together. Still, it's better than the movie (though the movie is its own WEIRD failure, rather than a dud in the classic sense).

#59 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer

Posted 15 April 2017 - 03:47 AM

I love the Tommyknockers. By far not my first, but I bought it because I LOVE the weird shit.

#60 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 21 April 2017 - 05:23 AM

Alternate, and use King as a motivational 'reward' for finishing a Safehold book.

Share this topic:

• 5 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users