#2 User is offline   bubba 

• High Marshall
  • View gallery
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:5.3%
  • Kill all the golfers...

Posted 29 March 2017 - 12:13 PM

Attached File  download (1).jpg (8.91K)
Number of downloads: 0Attached File  download.jpg (4.25K)
Number of downloads: 0Attached File  images (1).jpg (5.93K)
Number of downloads: 0Attached File  images (2).jpg (4.01K)
Number of downloads: 0Attached File  images (3).jpg (7.58K)
Number of downloads: 0Attached File  images.jpg (5.03K)
Number of downloads: 0Attached File  gato.jpg (30.35K)
Number of downloads: 0

#3 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 29 March 2017 - 12:14 PM

Nooooooooooo!!!

#4 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:Football

Posted 29 March 2017 - 03:57 PM

Anti-Christ cat kind of breaks up the theme of cigakitties.
Trouble arrives when the opponents to such a system institute its extreme opposite, where individualism becomes godlike and sacrosanct, and no greater service to any other ideal (including community) is possible. In such a system rapacious greed thrives behind the guise of freedom, and the worst aspects of human nature come to the fore....

#5 User is offline   D'rek 

• Consort of High House Mafia
  • Group: Super Moderators

Posted 29 March 2017 - 05:33 PM

At first I thought it was a gritty reboot for 99 Red Balloons.

View Postworrywort, on 14 September 2012 - 08:07 PM, said:

I kinda love it when D'rek unleashes her nerd wrath, as I knew she would here. Sorry innocent bystanders, but someone's gotta be the kindling.

#6 User is offline   bubba 

• High Marshall
  • View gallery
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:5.3%
  • Kill all the golfers...

Posted 29 March 2017 - 07:54 PM

View PostHoosierDaddy, on 29 March 2017 - 03:57 PM, said:

Anti-Christ cat kind of breaks up the theme of cigakitties.

He compelled me to add him

#7 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 29 March 2017 - 07:57 PM

Well the movie is only the first of two, and it seemingly focuses on the kids (instead of going back and forth). Interesting decision, but probably a wise one for a theatrical version?

Here's the "teaser" trailer, which is 2.5 minutes long and plays exactly like a normal trailer.

Pennywise is in it, but there's not much in terms of his personality. Curry's was pretty perfect, but he's such a unique talent that comparisons are bound to be a problem for anyone. I'm hoping for the best here. Never seen anything w/ Bill Skarsgard, but if he's got his family's chops that should be enough to do something interesting. We all know Finn Wolfhard is a gifted kid actor, but everyone else seems on point too. The kid who plays Bill was Masters's son on Masters of Sex, and he was pretty great in the few big scenes he had.

Edit: I see HD posted it elsewhere already too. Anyway, I'm cautiously optimistic now.

This post has been edited by death rattle: 29 March 2017 - 07:59 PM

They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#8 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer

Posted 29 March 2017 - 07:59 PM

Yeah, I posted that in the Ye Movie Thread. I think it looks fantastic.
Trouble arrives when the opponents to such a system institute its extreme opposite, where individualism becomes godlike and sacrosanct, and no greater service to any other ideal (including community) is possible. In such a system rapacious greed thrives behind the guise of freedom, and the worst aspects of human nature come to the fore....

#9 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 29 March 2017 - 08:05 PM

I didn't realize it was a film. I expected it to be a mini-series like the first or just a regular HBO type of show.

I think the trailer looks amazing. Can't say I really remember IT having any kind of discernible personality, other than being creepy and scary. Won't really matter who plays him, it's the outfit and make-up that makes the monster.

On that note, just watching this trailer I don't think I can watch this. It's too spooky. I remember forcing myself to watching the original mini-series and it scared the shit out of me. Couldn't walk into a community shower without worrying about IT crawling out of the drain or blood pouring out of a sink.

I remember reading the books years later and they weren't as bad in terms of imagery but King has a fucked up mind.

#10 User is offline   WinterPhoenix 

• First Sword

Posted 29 March 2017 - 09:20 PM

Oh you should defo read the book if you can face 1300+ pages BK, it is absolutely mental in places and I for one am very happy I do not live in Stephen King's head lol But yeah I really enjoyed the book (in a sleep with the lights on sort of way! lol) when I finally read it on my brother's recommendation years ago now. Though I can't say it changed my opinion on King's ability to write endings.

I remember being quite disappointed when I found out that the new 'It' adaptation wouldn't be a TV deal, I have felt for a long time that a HBO series for 'It' could be genuinely fantastic, but I'm cautiously optimistic about this, King adaptations are a really mixed bag, but that trailer looked great even though I am not generally a fan of horror films and I frickin' hate clowns!

It's very interesting to see they've decided to focus on them as children only though, watching that trailer at least it feels like it might be a very good decision. I'm guessing there'll still be a few scenes from the book that'll never make it to film, one in particular jumps straight to mind! Also got a feeling that some of the more trippy scenes at the end might be changed a little.

Anyone else play the last few seconds of that trailer over again pausing and starting really fast just to make sure that super fast flash of Pennywise wasn't themselves going crazy?
"I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust." T.S Eliot - The Wasteland

#11 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 29 March 2017 - 09:59 PM

Also, worth noting (at least to me) that it's directed by the guy who made Mama, which is one of my favorite horrors of the 2010s. I had a couple problems with it but overall I liked it more than even other really good entries like The Conjuring, The VVitch, The Babadook, maybe even It Follows. He doesn't have a huge resume, but he's great with atmosphere, imagery, integrating monsters so they remain scary, and most importantly, getting the best from kid actors.

#12 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile
  • Group: Malazan Artist

Posted 29 March 2017 - 10:23 PM

Man that looks.. scary. I read IT when it was first published, and certain scenes really stuck with me.

Weird how your views on things change when you have kids; I used to read horror more than anything but seeing little Georgie heading out with his boat into the rain just freaks me out now.
So that's the story. And what was the real lesson? Don't leave things in the fridge.

#13 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer

Posted 29 March 2017 - 10:31 PM

I've been hearing positive things about The Dark Tower from the initial clips shown to others. And, from what I've heard there are references in it to other King books and TDT Universe of connected works.

#14 User is offline   WinterPhoenix 

• First Sword

Posted 30 March 2017 - 10:22 AM

View PostTraveller, on 29 March 2017 - 10:23 PM, said:

Man that looks.. scary. I read IT when it was first published, and certain scenes really stuck with me.

Weird how your views on things change when you have kids; I used to read horror more than anything but seeing little Georgie heading out with his boat into the rain just freaks me out now.

To this day I'm still surprised by just how good I think the book actually is because I have never been much of a fan of horror in book form or film - outside of king I've read very little horror in all honesty. I was a proper wuss when I was younger as well lol

But yeah certain scenes really stick with you from the book, Georgie following that boat is chilling because you know it ends with that creepy 'They all float down here' *shudders*

#15 User is offline   LadyMTL 

• Epic bookworm

Posted 30 March 2017 - 11:11 AM

View PostApt, on 29 March 2017 - 08:05 PM, said:

I didn't realize it was a film. I expected it to be a mini-series like the first or just a regular HBO type of show.

I think the trailer looks amazing. Can't say I really remember IT having any kind of discernible personality, other than being creepy and scary. Won't really matter who plays him, it's the outfit and make-up that makes the monster.

On that note, just watching this trailer I don't think I can watch this. It's too spooky. I remember forcing myself to watching the original mini-series and it scared the shit out of me. Couldn't walk into a community shower without worrying about IT crawling out of the drain or blood pouring out of a sink.

I remember reading the books years later and they weren't as bad in terms of imagery but King has a fucked up mind.

I'm right there with you, Apt. I saw the mini-series when it aired - I think I was maybe 13 or 14 - and it terrified me to the point where I still get mildly freaked out if I see a picture of Curry's Pennywise. I remember one scene at the very beginning where there are bedsheets hanging on a clothesline and we get just a quick flash of him as the sheets are waving in the breeze....gah.
I'd read the book first and so knew what it was all about, but it still ranks up there with The Shining on my list of "Stephen King stuff that I actively avoid today."
~ Denn die Toten reiten schnell. (Lenore)

#16 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 30 March 2017 - 01:24 PM

View PostApt, on 29 March 2017 - 08:05 PM, said:

You gotta remember that this was right smack dab in the middle of his alcohol and drug benders where he nearly died on a nightly basis. The majority of his most successful books are the result of drug-fueled nightmares and fever dreams from this period.

"Fucked up" doesn't begin to cover what he produced during this time.

As an aside, it's sad that this can't be a shared universe with the DT film (This is Warner Bros. and DT is Sony and Sony are ASSHOLES about their licensed properties [Spiderman deal in the MCU aside])...as Pennywise is (according to King) the same species of being as The Crimson King.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#17 User is offline   D'rek 

• Consort of High House Mafia
  • Group: Super Moderators

Posted 30 March 2017 - 02:05 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 30 March 2017 - 01:24 PM, said:

As an aside, it's sad that this can't be a shared universe with the DT film (This is Warner Bros. and DT is Sony and Sony are ASSHOLES about their licensed properties [Spiderman deal in the MCU aside])...as Pennywise is (according to King) the same species of being as The Crimson King.

I think I prefer it like this. 90%+ of the King references in Dark Tower are just that - small references only. If the studios tried to integrate multiple adaptations of King's books into a "shared universe" with the Dark Tower, I fear they would end up making huge changes to the works in order to force some kind of silly Justice League/Avengers mimicry, replacing Eddie with the protagonist from It and replacing Flagg with the It clown, and who knows what else.

View Postworrywort, on 14 September 2012 - 08:07 PM, said:

I kinda love it when D'rek unleashes her nerd wrath, as I knew she would here. Sorry innocent bystanders, but someone's gotta be the kindling.

#18 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 30 March 2017 - 02:16 PM

Meh, the ties between DT and IT are heavier just by dint of Pennywise being FROM End-World. That's kinda cool, and not really a "small" reference.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#19 User is offline   WinterPhoenix 

• First Sword

Posted 30 March 2017 - 06:23 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 30 March 2017 - 02:16 PM, said:

Meh, the ties between DT and IT are heavier just by dint of Pennywise being FROM End-World. That's kinda cool, and not really a "small" reference.

That's really cool info, thanks. I still need to read the DT series tbh, but I was aware that a number of King's characters are connected to the world in some way, most well known to me being Randall Flagg. I wasn't aware Pennywise had such a connection though. Really gotta get round to reading the Dark Tower tbh.

#20 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 30 March 2017 - 07:21 PM

A lot of them are retrofitted anyway, including IT. I don't mind but I couldn't care much less about all the odds and ends of the DT connections making it into the movies, and I think SK's post-accident traumatic period -- while it at least led to him finishing the series -- was a little too obsessed with it. Did we really need Black House to be a sequel to The Talisman? There have been some great connected works (From A Buick 8 is fantastic), but I don't need like the Pet Sematary remake to have weird DT tendrils in it. I get that it's all a Neverending Story-like metaphor for imagination and storytelling and all that, but when he started forcing everything to become part of the metaphor, it stopped being a metaphor.

Share this topic:

• 5 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users