• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 15 February 2017 - 11:29 AM

Posted Image

Posted Image

https://www.nytimes....rones.html?_r=0

Dubai Plans a Taxi That Skips the Driver, and the Roads

By RUSSELL GOLDMANFEB. 14, 2017

Like a scene from “The Jetsons,” commuters in Dubai, in the United Arab Emirates, may soon climb aboard automated flying taxis, soaring over busy streets and past the desert city’s gleaming skyscrapers, all — quite literally — at the push of a button.

Passenger drones, capable of carrying a single rider and a small suitcase, will begin buzzing above the emirate as early as July, according to the director of the city’s transportation authority, part of an ambitious plan to increase driverless technology.

Already, the eight-rotor drone, made by the Chinese firm Ehang, has flown test runs past the Burj Al Arab, Dubai’s iconic, sail-shaped skyscraper.

The drone “is not just a model but it has really flown in Dubai skies,” Mattar Al Tayer, the director general of Dubai’s Roads and Transport Authority, said on Monday, adding that the emirate would “spare no effort to launch” autonomous aerial vehicles by July.

The Ehang 184 can fly up to 31 miles, or about 30 minutes, on a single battery charge. It has a top speed of 100 miles per hour, but the authorities said it would typically operate at 62 m.p.h.

The craft can carry a 220-pound passenger, according to a promotional video produced by the Roads and Transport Authority, which depicts a man boarding the vessel, buckling into a race car-style harness and tapping his destination on a touch screen before taking off.

The video describes the Ehang 184 drone as “autopiloted, directed and monitored via a command center.”

According to the manufacturer, the drone is equipped with fail-safe technology and in the event of a malfunction “will immediately land in the nearest possible area to ensure safety.”

The drone is the latest in a series of measures to impose cutting-edge technology to help with the city’s congested roadways.

The ruler of Dubai, Sheikh Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum, announced last year that 25 percent of all journeys in the city would be conducted by driverless vehicles by 2030. The city operates the world’s longest driverless subway system and began a trial program last year using automated cars produced by France’s Easymile.

In October, the city signed a deal with the Los Angeles-based Hyperloop One to study the potential for a hyperloop — a vacuum-like tube through which vehicle pods hurtle at speeds faster than airliners — between Dubai and Abu Dhabi, the United Arab Emirates capital.

I don't know about you people but this sounds fucking incredible to me.

I wonder how much it actually costs to run one of these things? Is it as fuel efficient as a car? Could we be replacing cars with hovercars in a couple decades if fuel cells improve?

This post has been edited by Apt: 15 February 2017 - 11:31 AM

#2 User is offline   Mentalist 

• Martyr of High House Mafia
  • Group: High House Mafia
  • Interests:Soccer, Chess, swimming, books, misc
  • Junior Mafia Mod

Posted 15 February 2017 - 12:24 PM

Well, at least a part of humanity is living in the future
The problem with the gene pool is that there's no lifeguard
THE CONTESTtm WINNER--чемпіон самоконтролю

View PostJump Around, on 23 October 2011 - 11:04 AM, said:

And I want to state that Ment has out-weaseled me by far in this game.

#3 User is offline   Primateus 

• E Pluribus Anus
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:Stuff, lots of stuff!

Posted 15 February 2017 - 02:25 PM

This both insane and fucking crazy AND insanely awesome at the same time. Sounds expensive though.
Screw you all, and have a nice day!

#4 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 15 February 2017 - 02:35 PM

I can't imagine it's that expensive. The flying thingy itself looks less expensive than a car.

What freaks me out is how small the propellers look. It says that it can only carry around 220 pounds. I wont a drone that is carrying me to be able to carry a ton, otherwise I don't think I would be willing to step into the thing.

#5 User is offline   Slow Ben 

• Ranger

Posted 15 February 2017 - 03:47 PM

I put the over/under on the first decapitation at 4 days.
I've always been crazy but its kept me from going insane.

#6 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 15 February 2017 - 03:51 PM

I bet they will appear in a future Fast and Furious movie.

#7 User is offline   Primateus 

• E Pluribus Anus
  • Interests:Stuff, lots of stuff!

Posted 15 February 2017 - 03:51 PM

View PostApt, on 15 February 2017 - 02:35 PM, said:

I can't imagine it's that expensive. The flying thingy itself looks less expensive than a car.

What freaks me out is how small the propellers look. It says that it can only carry around 220 pounds. I wont a drone that is carrying me to be able to carry a ton, otherwise I don't think I would be willing to step into the thing.

I'm by no means fat, but yeah, that thing needs an extra 50 pounds of extra lift before it could take off with me. But I agree, I would want a safety margin of at least several hundred kilos! None of that pounds bs!
Screw you all, and have a nice day!

#8 User is offline   D'rek 

• Consort of High House Mafia
  • Group: Super Moderators

Posted 15 February 2017 - 03:58 PM

I WANT ONE!!!

View Postworrywort, on 14 September 2012 - 08:07 PM, said:

I kinda love it when D'rek unleashes her nerd wrath, as I knew she would here. Sorry innocent bystanders, but someone's gotta be the kindling.

#9 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 08 March 2017 - 09:27 PM

I would trust this more than a drone

#10 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 08 March 2017 - 09:34 PM

That looks like a rail gun with human ammunition. That's the hyper-advanced version of being shot out of cannon.

#11 User is offline   D'rek 

• Consort of High House Mafia
  • Group: Super Moderators

Posted 01 May 2017 - 01:28 PM

I still want one!

View Postworrywort, on 14 September 2012 - 08:07 PM, said:

I kinda love it when D'rek unleashes her nerd wrath, as I knew she would here. Sorry innocent bystanders, but someone's gotta be the kindling.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users