• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Arcanum Unbounded reading thread... SPOILERS

#21 User is offline   20 Days of Sheep 

• Master of the Deck
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Drive by bye bye king

Posted 10 February 2017 - 09:11 PM

I want Kaladin to die and have her take the lead role.
Drive by bye bye king on my dumb horse

#22 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 11 February 2017 - 01:39 AM

View PostBriar King, on 10 February 2017 - 09:11 PM, said:

I want Kaladin to die and have her take the lead role.

I'm not wholly opposed to this.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#23 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 11 February 2017 - 05:07 AM

SHARDFORK!!!!!!!!!!!!!

......aaand done. Great story to wrap with, sets up some interesting stuff for the next Stormlight book.

#24 User is offline   20 Days of Sheep 

• Master of the Deck
  • Drive by bye bye king

Posted 11 February 2017 - 05:30 AM

Yep. Very fun story and I'm glad it was so large. Lift was my fav thing in WoR just her in 20 ish pgs. I can't fucking wait to see her take a larger role in SLA. The sooner the better. Wyndle is badass. You could tell even back in WoR that Lift was a very special case and not a normal child even though she says awesomeness constantly. I loved how Wyndle is bitching saying he should have gone to Ym instead of her with him unknowing what happened to him in WoR.

I won't say what but you have unknowingly read some WB stuff in this.

#25 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 13 February 2017 - 04:02 PM

Yeah, i'm vaguely aware of Szeth's new sword having some WAR background.

I see Brandon still has a free pdf of WAR on his site so i should grab that, tho if i want to read it any time soon i'm probably better off with the earbook.

#26 User is online   QuickTidal 

• General Kenobi
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Sith Beatdowns

Posted 02 March 2017 - 04:25 PM

Not reading all spoilers yet, but I finished and enjoyed The ELEVENTH METAL. Really fun to see Gemmel for the first time…and glass he’s as nutters as I assumed he was. Also love the (new) art for each story.

THE HOPE OF ELANTRIS was….weak. And from the postscript, it sounds like it was just a quick, and dirty story for a girl in his wife’s class who liked his work. Which is fine, but there was not much here to enjoy. I liked ELANTRIS, but it turns out that Raoden and Sarene are just NOT that interesting post-New Elantris.

JAK THE ALLOMANCER…this was fun, but I found the footnotes extraordinarily distracting. I get that they existed to give the Terris servant the ability to play the “straight man” to Jak’s more over-the-top nature…but yeah. Still, it was fun…but I don’t think I liked it as much as others did.

Started into MISTBORN: SECRET ARCHIVES…and so far it’s INCREDIBLE. Kelsier post-Mistborn death!? Knock me over with a feather man. Love this.

Can I also say that I love the Star maps, and especially love, love, love the intro’s by Khriss for each planet…and query: Are Khriss and Hoid the only Worldhopper’s we’ve met so far in the Cosmere? I think they are, but I’m not sure.

It’s also fascinating to find out that Scadrial, is the only planet there the Shards formed life themselves and that Khriss thinks that the planet itself didn’t exist before the Shards. That’s a really cool factoid. And speaks to just how powerful the powers there are…and it MOVED POSITIONS IN THE COSMOS at one point? I mean, for real? That’s awesome.

Oh, and I’m with BK…I’m completely enthralled by the mystery of Silverlight.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

#27 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 02 March 2017 - 04:39 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 02 March 2017 - 04:25 PM, said:

...THE HOPE OF ELANTRIS was….weak. ...

Remains my least favorite planet, altho SOUL did add a very interesting element to it.

JAK THE ALLOMANCER…this was fun, but I found the footnotes extraordinarily AWESOME...

FTFY. :p

...Are Khriss and Hoid the only Worldhopper's we've met so far in the Cosmere? I think they are, but I'm not sure.

I don't think so. That i can think of offhand There was the guy who gave Szeth his new sword at the end of SLA2, and whoever the woman who spoke with Wax at the party in SHADOWS (i think) was tho that may have been Khriss. And two more...

SECRET HISTORY SPOILER WARNING

Spoiler

It's also fascinating to find out that Scadrial,...and it MOVED POSITIONS IN THE COSMOS at one point? I mean, for real? That's awesome.

Twice i think, once by the Lord Ruler to try and save the world by moving it closer to the sun and then a second time by Sayzed to correct / improve that.

#28 User is offline   20 Days of Sheep 

• Master of the Deck
  • Drive by bye bye king

Posted 02 March 2017 - 05:12 PM

Khriss, Nash & Hoid are the only named Hoppers I think. There are others though you pick up on like in SLA 1 Demoux(Mist) Galladon(Elan) & an unknown from Taladin. In SLA spoiler since Abyss hasn't read War Break
Spoiler

#29 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 02 March 2017 - 05:46 PM

View PostBriar King, on 02 March 2017 - 05:12 PM, said:

Khriss, Nash & Hoid are the only named Hoppers I think. There are others though you pick up on like in SLA 1 Demoux(Mist) Galladon(Elan) & an unknown from Taladin. In SLA spoiler since Abyss hasn't read War Break
Spoiler

waitwaitwait Demoux?

...the young officer from Mistborn Final Empire who has a street named after him in Wax/Wayne Demoux?

#30 User is offline   20 Days of Sheep 

• Master of the Deck
  • Drive by bye bye king

Posted 02 March 2017 - 06:08 PM

Yep

#31 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 02 March 2017 - 06:15 PM

View PostAbyss, on 02 March 2017 - 05:46 PM, said:

View PostBriar King, on 02 March 2017 - 05:12 PM, said:

Spoiler

waitwaitwait Demoux?

...the young officer from Mistborn Final Empire who has a street named after him in Wax/Wayne Demoux?

View PostBriar King, on 02 March 2017 - 06:08 PM, said:

Yep

explain?

#32 User is online   QuickTidal 

• General Kenobi

Posted 02 March 2017 - 07:13 PM

Fuck, I think I need to re-read TWOK and WOR after the to refresh my Cosmere stuff...My Mistborn memory is pretty tight, but my SLA memory is weak considering all the plot points and characters.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

#33 User is offline   20 Days of Sheep 

• Master of the Deck
  • Drive by bye bye king

Posted 02 March 2017 - 08:41 PM

Ok I ll try to point in right direction and yall can find it in SLA 1. In one of the interludes there is a guide on the Pure Lake who Encounters 3 strangers with 3 dif accents the Laker can't pick out saying they are searching for a man named Hoid. They are in fact the 17thShard. He knows they gave him fake names so he gives them names of his own and describes them to reader. It just has to click a switch in your head who they are but BS confirmed it was them.

#34 User is online   QuickTidal 

• General Kenobi

Posted 03 March 2017 - 01:09 PM

View PostBriar King, on 02 March 2017 - 08:41 PM, said:

Ok I ll try to point in right direction and yall can find it in SLA 1. In one of the interludes there is a guide on the Pure Lake who Encounters 3 strangers with 3 dif accents the Laker can't pick out saying they are searching for a man named Hoid. They are in fact the 17thShard. He knows they gave him fake names so he gives them names of his own and describes them to reader. It just has to click a switch in your head who they are but BS confirmed it was them.

Okay, I am smack in the middle of SECRET HISTORY and I'm in the section where Kelsier talks to Khriss and Nazh! This is so fascinating!

Also, am I crazy or is this the first time it's been keenly noted that the shards are basically the 16 people/fractional gods who killed Adonalsium?

Fuck me, this book is excellent!

#35 User is offline   End of Disc One 

• House Knight

Posted 03 March 2017 - 01:36 PM

Glad you're enjoying Secret History. That novella blew me away.

For worldhoppers, there's also that certain character from Warbreaker who shows up in WoR. Two characters actually, counting weapons.

#36 User is offline   20 Days of Sheep 

• Master of the Deck
  • Drive by bye bye king

Posted 03 March 2017 - 10:41 PM

View PostEnd of Disc One, on 03 March 2017 - 01:36 PM, said:

For worldhoppers, there's also that certain character from Warbreaker who shows up in WoR. Two characters actually, counting weapons.

Yeah I told them but spoiled it for Abyss since he ain't read WB yet.

QT Idk if it is. Harmony may have said something to Wayne in Alloy 3. If he didn't then I guess AU is indeed 1st.

This post has been edited by Briar King: 03 March 2017 - 10:41 PM

#37 User is online   QuickTidal 

• General Kenobi

Posted 03 March 2017 - 10:55 PM

View PostBriar King, on 03 March 2017 - 10:41 PM, said:

View PostEnd of Disc One, on 03 March 2017 - 01:36 PM, said:

Yeah I told them but spoiled it for Abyss since he ain't read WB yet.

QT Idk if it is. Harmony may have said something to Wayne in Alloy 3. If he didn't then I guess AU is indeed 1st.

I'm not done SECRET HISTORY yet, but goddamn this is both good Mistborn AND good Cosmere!

#38 User is online   QuickTidal 

• General Kenobi

Posted 04 March 2017 - 02:50 PM

Finished MISTBORN: SECRET ARCHIVES and found it absolutely amazing! What a wonderful novella. Yeah, it tended to be a bit choppy and shoehorned Kelsier in at certain points...but at least BS acknowledges that and the meat of the story made up for that by just being excellent. And as I did when I finsihed HERO OF AGES, I got emotional at the end of this, with Kelsier not wanting Vin to go to the Beyond.

Also, I'm fucking calling this now. Kelsier, will be a Worldhopper soon. There is no way that this isn't what BS is heading for. Kelsier will be present for the Cosmere Engame...whatever that is.

WHITE SANDS excerpt was cool, and I think I should go pick up the whole trade and read the rest of the first volume of it. The Dayside is cool, but I'm SUPER curious about Khriss' home on then darkside. Sure it's not the most inventive of the worlds and such, but I thought it was a fun little romp with milder powers.

Onto SILENCE!

Also, Abyss, I'm thirding (fourthing?) the recco that you read WARBREAKER. Iv'e read it twice now and it really is a great story...and I'm with the others that there is no Nalthis in this anthology....though perhaps that's because

Spoiler
...and Brandon already thought he spoiled us with WARBREAKER stuff by doing that?

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 04 March 2017 - 02:51 PM

#39 User is offline   20 Days of Sheep 

• Master of the Deck
  • Drive by bye bye king

Posted 04 March 2017 - 11:19 PM

I actually think Taladin is one of the coolest Cos planets and am really wanting to see more. I hope there is some kind of "Twilight landmass that can be brought up. You can def tell the beginnings of the Mistborn magic in White Sands.

#40 User is online   QuickTidal 

• General Kenobi

Posted 06 March 2017 - 01:39 PM

Finished SHADOWS/SILENCE...hmmm...it was okay, but I wasn't overly blown away by it or anything. Enjoyed, but my second least fave in the book so far behind HOPE.

Started SIXTH OF DUSK though, and so far it's really, really enjoyable! Our first look into the Drominad system (though Khriss noted that is its "nickname"....I wonder why). Cool setting. Looking fwd to see how this one turns out.

Share this topic:

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users