Malazan Empire: Which game should I play? - Malazan Empire

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Which game should I play? I can't decide

#21 User is offline   Andorion 

• God
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:All things Malazan, sundry sci-fi and fantasy, history, Iron Maiden

Posted 22 January 2017 - 05:04 PM

View PostTiste Simeon, on 22 January 2017 - 04:52 PM, said:

View PostAndorion, on 20 January 2017 - 06:33 AM, said:

So now that I have some free time again I was just sorting through my stuff and I discovered that I actually have some games

Elder Scrolls Morrowind
Elder Scrolls Skyrim
CoD 4
Far Cry(something? I am not sure about the version)

Fifa 15(Can't play this, new controls make no sense)
Fifa 10(Can play this)

Starcraft 2
Rome Total War
Supreme Commander 2
Rise of Nations
Civilisation 4
Sins of a Solar Empire

So which game should I play? I know this sounds stupid, but I can give like 1 hour a day for gaming at the moment.

I basically know all the RTS games, so there is no learning to be done, but I want to play some of the first person stuff and I am wary of the learning curve and time investment.

Also this is probably a hilariously stupid question but if I can get an old copy of Half Life 2, should I get it and play it? I hear this name a lot, but my acquintance with FPS games has never gone beyond HALO, BF Vietname, CoD 2, and Medal of Honour

Would appreciate some help

So now that I have some free time again I was just sorting through my stuff and I discovered that I actually have some games

Elder Scrolls Morrowind
Elder Scrolls Skyrim
CoD 4
Far Cry(something? I am not sure about the version)

Fifa 15(Can't play this, new controls make no sense)
Fifa 10(Can play this)

Starcraft 2
Rome Total War
Supreme Commander 2
Rise of Nations
Civilisation 4
Sins of a Solar Empire

So which game should I play? I know this sounds stupid, but I can give like 1 hour a day for gaming at the moment.

Starcraft 2
Rome Total War
Supreme Commander 2
Rise of Nations
Civilisation 4
Sins of a Solar Empire

Rome Total War

Rome Total War

You put Rome Freaking Total War on your list and no-one mentioned it?

It is quite simply the greatest game ever made. So many happy hours have been sunk into that game. My new Windows 10 PC doesn't like it (something to do with the age of the game and Direct X) but it sounds like your computer will play it just fine.

I mean,

I can give like 1 hour a day for gaming at the moment.
might be a problem, seen as it is relentlessly addictive. The first time I ever played it was in uni, and I thought I'd play for a couple of hours one evening, starting playing around half past seven. I next looked up and it was half past two in the morning...

I love Rome. It does run on my Windows 10 laptop, though the save files have a tendency to get corrupted. A few months back when I had time, I played a campaign with the Egyptians. I had all of Africa, Almost everything east of Constantinople and had some pretty solid fronts in Greece. Then the game got corrupted. It was so frustrating. I had chewed the Scipii to bits

#22 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 22 January 2017 - 05:20 PM

Oh OK, I thought you were asking about games you have never played before. If you have already played it, I guess I can forgive you. :(
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#23 User is offline   Andorion 

• God

Posted 22 January 2017 - 05:31 PM

View PostTiste Simeon, on 22 January 2017 - 05:20 PM, said:

Oh OK, I thought you were asking about games you have never played before. If you have already played it, I guess I can forgive you. :(

Of the games I posted I have played Rome, Sins of a Solar Empire, Fifa 10 and Civ 4. I am essentially coming off a gaming hiatus of 4 months, and even before that it was basically Rome and Civ. and a little CoD

#24 User is offline   Mentalist 

• Martyr of High House Mafia
  • Group: High House Mafia
  • Interests:Soccer, Chess, swimming, books, misc
  • Junior Mafia Mod

Posted 22 January 2017 - 08:51 PM

View PostAndorion, on 22 January 2017 - 01:43 AM, said:

I have actually made some progress in HL2. I almost got eaten by a noodle alien thingy but my main problem is helicopters keep shooting at me and I have a pistol.

Also does anyone here know how to get past that stupid sniper flashback mission in CoD4?

BK, if I actually finish HL2, I shall take a look at the others, I promise

Play the episodes too. They're pretty fun.

And both Portals. Definitely.
The problem with the gene pool is that there's no lifeguard
THE CONTESTtm WINNER--чемпіон самоконтролю

View PostJump Around, on 23 October 2011 - 11:04 AM, said:

And I want to state that Ment has out-weaseled me by far in this game.

#25 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 22 January 2017 - 09:44 PM

View PostAndorion, on 22 January 2017 - 05:31 PM, said:

View PostTiste Simeon, on 22 January 2017 - 05:20 PM, said:

Of the games I posted I have played Rome, Sins of a Solar Empire, Fifa 10 and Civ 4. I am essentially coming off a gaming hiatus of 4 months, and even before that it was basically Rome and Civ. and a little CoD

Is that original CoD? I used to have the first one for PC and it was amazing! The new ones have nothing on it. Battlefield 1 however does seem to capture some of that feeling. Probably too huge a game for your PC though.
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#26 User is offline   Mentalist 

• Junior Mafia Mod

Posted 30 January 2017 - 06:19 PM

View PostAndorion, on 20 January 2017 - 02:30 PM, said:

View PostApt, on 20 January 2017 - 10:43 AM, said:

Farcry 2 isn't bad it just pales in comparison to the third one. You could certainly have some fun with the open world experience but it wouldn't be my priority.

I think I remember total war Empire having a large focus on naval warfare?

I really wanted to play this game. I love the theme. But the one time I tried Emperor on my computer, it was extremely glitchy.

View PostMentalist, on 20 January 2017 - 01:58 PM, said:

Cossacks: European Wars did naval stuff well. Not sure if the remake (called Cossacks 3) does the same, but you can check out the original either on Steam or GOG.

Do you mean the old Cossacks Ment? Set in the 16th and 17th C? I have that, its great, maps are a bit limited though.

I have never been able to get Cossacks:Napoleonic Wars to actually run. Screen turns black, then back to desktop.

So I bought Cossacks 3 over the weekend (of course I did. How could I not buys an RTS made by a uki dev?) Booted it up last night for a bit. It's basically the same game as the original, but the whole thing is in 3D with a zoom function (a bit warcraft III-ish). Comes with 5 new campaigns + an extra one + a collection of "battle" scenarios in the first of 4 DLCs (naturally bought the deluxe edition to get all future DLCs in it). At least one of them has a heavy naval focus based on description.

The ferry looks nicer, things seem to die faster now (I dabbled in the Ukrainian campaign scen 1 which has many melee Cossacks killing lots of cavalry archer Tatars), so formation combat feels a lot more total war-ish than usual- basically, if your ranged units are hit by a cavalry formation it doesn't matter that your pikes are 3 steps away-by the time they join the melee, the ranged units will be basically gone. Not sure I like the change or not, personally.

#27 User is offline   Andorion 

• God

Posted 30 January 2017 - 06:51 PM

View PostMentalist, on 30 January 2017 - 06:19 PM, said:

View PostAndorion, on 20 January 2017 - 02:30 PM, said:

View PostApt, on 20 January 2017 - 10:43 AM, said:

Farcry 2 isn't bad it just pales in comparison to the third one. You could certainly have some fun with the open world experience but it wouldn't be my priority.

I think I remember total war Empire having a large focus on naval warfare?

I really wanted to play this game. I love the theme. But the one time I tried Emperor on my computer, it was extremely glitchy.

View PostMentalist, on 20 January 2017 - 01:58 PM, said:

Cossacks: European Wars did naval stuff well. Not sure if the remake (called Cossacks 3) does the same, but you can check out the original either on Steam or GOG.

Do you mean the old Cossacks Ment? Set in the 16th and 17th C? I have that, its great, maps are a bit limited though.

I have never been able to get Cossacks:Napoleonic Wars to actually run. Screen turns black, then back to desktop.

So I bought Cossacks 3 over the weekend (of course I did. How could I not buys an RTS made by a uki dev?) Booted it up last night for a bit. It's basically the same game as the original, but the whole thing is in 3D with a zoom function (a bit warcraft III-ish). Comes with 5 new campaigns + an extra one + a collection of "battle" scenarios in the first of 4 DLCs (naturally bought the deluxe edition to get all future DLCs in it). At least one of them has a heavy naval focus based on description.

The ferry looks nicer, things seem to die faster now (I dabbled in the Ukrainian campaign scen 1 which has many melee Cossacks killing lots of cavalry archer Tatars), so formation combat feels a lot more total war-ish than usual- basically, if your ranged units are hit by a cavalry formation it doesn't matter that your pikes are 3 steps away-by the time they join the melee, the ranged units will be basically gone. Not sure I like the change or not, personally.

I actually just played a random map at my friend's house the other day. I am not sure I like the new mechanics. It makes no sense for musketeers to be that vulnerable. 18th C bayoneted Musketeers are actually a pretty good counter to cavalry

#28 User is offline   Mentalist 

• Junior Mafia Mod

Posted 30 January 2017 - 06:57 PM

to be fair, they were equally helpless in the original, it's just everything usually played out so slowly (on regular and slow game speeds), that you had a lot more opportunity to tell individual soldiers to spread out and micro them to draw away bulk of the attackers after a single straggler, while the rest turn around and shoot them in the back.

So this could be seen as fixing dumb AI chasing behaviour- making it basically 1 v1 which the ranged is supposed to lose.

Still, I'd need to play more to see. In my campaign game I got totally crushed by raiding Sipahi, b/c Ukraine really doesn't have an easy strong answer to those buys. Especially when they have 2 regiments of Janissaries behind them. (And I had groups of registered Cossacks, Polish light cav + polish pikemen + musketeers as backup).

This post has been edited by Mentalist: 30 January 2017 - 06:59 PM

#29 User is offline   Mentalist 

• Junior Mafia Mod

Posted 01 February 2017 - 06:05 PM

more Cossack 3 thoughts (having spent a few sleepless nights but starting to win some campaign missions- halp, I think I'm addicted again!):

-serdiuks (Ukrainian ranged infantry of death) can now be put into formations, without officers, gaining the formation bonus.
-ukrainian peasants are officially un-capturable, making them semi-viable melee troops against raiders.
-ukraine has a unique navy unit now- the Cossack chayka, which is oven smaller than a yacht. More manoeuvrable, but way less HP.

Turkish pikes and Janissaries look the same from the back, leading to much confusion.

Polish winged hussars still destroy almost everything.

After testing on 4 other missions, it's now basically official- having melee units wade into a ranged formation is basically insta-death for ranged (until 18th century when bayonets are introduced, presumably- haven't gotten that far)
-it's possible, but difficult to effectively disengage cavalry formation from attacking pikes and dying.
-OTOH, if said pikes have a target and are pursuing it, then (on Normal), flanking cavalry formation can melt them before they switch target and retaliate. So the game does encourage you to shuffle the pretty stacks around to arrange for feints, lures and flanks.

I'm not sure the artillery physics survived the migration to a new engine. One of the things I loved in the original was how manually adjusting a cannon's position would allow me to make a difficult shot between hill ridges. The shooting seems a lot more random now.

-it looks like all campaigns are 5 missions long now. Kinda disappointing, given how long some of the originals were. But there's more variety now, with 6 campaigns promised as DLC, for a total of 55 missions, + I think a dozen total historical battles now available in single-player, if you get the Deluxe edition.

This post has been edited by Mentalist: 01 February 2017 - 06:14 PM

#30 User is offline   Andorion 

• God

Posted 02 February 2017 - 02:36 AM

View PostMentalist, on 01 February 2017 - 06:05 PM, said:

more Cossack 3 thoughts (having spent a few sleepless nights but starting to win some campaign missions- halp, I think I'm addicted again!):

-serdiuks (Ukrainian ranged infantry of death) can now be put into formations, without officers, gaining the formation bonus.
-ukrainian peasants are officially un-capturable, making them semi-viable melee troops against raiders.
-ukraine has a unique navy unit now- the Cossack chayka, which is oven smaller than a yacht. More manoeuvrable, but way less HP.

Turkish pikes and Janissaries look the same from the back, leading to much confusion.

After testing on 4 other missions, it's now basically official- having melee units wade into a ranged formation is basically insta-death for ranged (until 18th century when bayonets are introduced, presumably- haven't gotten that far)
-it's possible, but difficult to effectively disengage cavalry formation from attacking pikes and dying.
-OTOH, if said pikes have a target and are pursuing it, then (on Normal), flanking cavalry formation can melt them before they switch target and retaliate. So the game does encourage you to shuffle the pretty stacks around to arrange for feints, lures and flanks.

I'm not sure the artillery physics survived the migration to a new engine. One of the things I loved in the original was how manually adjusting a cannon's position would allow me to make a difficult shot between hill ridges. The shooting seems a lot more random now.

-it looks like all campaigns are 5 missions long now. Kinda disappointing, given how long some of the originals were. But there's more variety now, with 6 campaigns promised as DLC, for a total of 55 missions, + I think a dozen total historical battles now available in single-player, if you get the Deluxe edition.

I got the impression that the supremac of dragoons had been reduced a lot. One of my everyday tactics in the previous game was to have a chunk of 60 dragoons handy and get them to harass formations by ranged fire. No melee unit could survive that.

Also the cannon power is reduced right? Before a battery of 15-20 cannons could destroy practically anything if it had some musketeer and cavalry support.

Another thing is that the AI actually uses officer led formations more. In the old game it only used that for pikemen and everybody died fast.

#31 User is offline   Mentalist 

• Junior Mafia Mod

Posted 02 February 2017 - 03:53 AM

View PostAndorion, on 02 February 2017 - 02:36 AM, said:

I got the impression that the supremac of dragoons had been reduced a lot. One of my everyday tactics in the previous game was to have a chunk of 60 dragoons handy and get them to harass formations by ranged fire. No melee unit could survive that.

Also the cannon power is reduced right? Before a battery of 15-20 cannons could destroy practically anything if it had some musketeer and cavalry support.

Another thing is that the AI actually uses officer led formations more. In the old game it only used that for pikemen and everybody died fast.

Not sure. Grapeshot feels less powerful, but I was never good @ setting those shots up.

The regular cannons actually feel more powerful (but less accurate w/o upgrades). In that 1st Ukrainian mission I had to sink a bunch of ships in the end before they demolished my base- including 2 Xebecs. I had a 7-gun battery shelling them from almost-point-blank range on the shore + 3 galleys and 6 chaykas from water. Still, given what I remember about xebecs from the original, I didn't value my chances highly. But I managed to sink both, and the cannons did most of the damage.

#32 User is offline   Andorion 

• God

Posted 02 February 2017 - 03:56 AM

View PostMentalist, on 02 February 2017 - 03:53 AM, said:

Not sure. Grapeshot feels less powerful, but I was never good @ setting those shots up.

The regular cannons actually feel more powerful (but less accurate w/o upgrades). In that 1st Ukrainian mission I had to sink a bunch of ships in the end before they demolished my base- including 2 Xebecs. I had a 7-gun battery shelling them from almost-point-blank range on the shore + 3 galleys and 6 chaykas from water. Still, given what I remember about xebecs from the original, I didn't value my chances highly. But I managed to sink both, and the cannons did most of the damage.

7 guns vs 2 xebecs? That is interesting. I would have never used anything less than a 10 gun battery to take on naval units. A couple of accurate shots and the battery is history anyway.

Galleys are utterly useless in naval battles. You have to get them really close to use that front gun. I like them more as shelling units to screen a landing.

I am really happy to hear about the Polish WInged Hussars. I loved their look but they could not take on mcuh especially if the enemy infantry was being screened by Cuirassiers.

BTW don't you play random maps? I always play a few of those before I go into campaign.

#33 User is offline   Mentalist 

• Junior Mafia Mod

Posted 02 February 2017 - 03:36 PM

View PostAndorion, on 02 February 2017 - 03:56 AM, said:

7 guns vs 2 xebecs? That is interesting. I would have never used anything less than a 10 gun battery to take on naval units. A couple of accurate shots and the battery is history anyway.

Galleys are utterly useless in naval battles. You have to get them really close to use that front gun. I like them more as shelling units to screen a landing.

I am really happy to hear about the Polish WInged Hussars. I loved their look but they could not take on mcuh especially if the enemy infantry was being screened by Cuirassiers.

BTW don't you play random maps? I always play a few of those before I go into campaign.

Yeah, I know they're useless. But that's the strongest ship Ukraine gets (balances out them having the best cavalry AND the best ranged infantry (when FU).
To be fair, xebecs weren't shooting back- their target were my buildings. But given it takes like 3 accurate hits to destroy a building (my town centre was repeatedly taken out in 2 shots by a yacht!), you get the idea how effective the cannon's were if the xebecs didn't get to fire that many shots before dying.

And no, I never liked simple skirmish games. I generally just play campaigns. I'm a sucker for the "historical" part of "historical RTS"s, what can I say? Lol.

#34 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 02 February 2017 - 04:55 PM

Man I mistakingly thought I'd clicked the US Politics threads and wondered what the fuck was going on in Ments homeland for a second.

#35 User is offline   Andorion 

• God

Posted 02 February 2017 - 05:09 PM

View PostMentalist, on 02 February 2017 - 03:36 PM, said:

View PostAndorion, on 02 February 2017 - 03:56 AM, said:

Yeah, I know they're useless. But that's the strongest ship Ukraine gets (balances out them having the best cavalry AND the best ranged infantry (when FU).
To be fair, xebecs weren't shooting back- their target were my buildings. But given it takes like 3 accurate hits to destroy a building (my town centre was repeatedly taken out in 2 shots by a yacht!), you get the idea how effective the cannon's were if the xebecs didn't get to fire that many shots before dying.

And no, I never liked simple skirmish games. I generally just play campaigns. I'm a sucker for the "historical" part of "historical RTS"s, what can I say? Lol.

I like playing skirmish as I love experimenting and trying out new tactics.

BTW did you notice the odd kink in the old game where if you invade the enemy continent, no matter where, all the troops rush at you? I was once landing a huge force - 3 regiments of musketeers, 150 dragoons, 20 cannon, and then I saw this sea of blue grenadiers coming. I had only one regiment ready to go, so I lined them up and started shooting. They died to the last man, but took out 90% of the grenadiers, giving my cavalry time to form up.

That regiment deserved a medal.

#36 User is offline   Andorion 

• God

Posted 02 February 2017 - 05:09 PM

View PostApt, on 02 February 2017 - 04:55 PM, said:

Man I mistakingly thought I'd clicked the US Politics threads and wondered what the fuck was going on in Ments homeland for a second.

Posted Image

#37 User is offline   Mentalist 

• Junior Mafia Mod

Posted 02 February 2017 - 05:18 PM

They may have researched the baloon which reveals the whole map.

Or it could've been omniscient AI cheating.

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users