Malazan Empire: Which game should I play? - Malazan Empire

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Which game should I play? I can't decide

#1 User is offline   Andorion 

• God
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:All things Malazan, sundry sci-fi and fantasy, history, Iron Maiden

Posted 20 January 2017 - 06:33 AM

So now that I have some free time again I was just sorting through my stuff and I discovered that I actually have some games

Elder Scrolls Morrowind
Elder Scrolls Skyrim
CoD 4
Far Cry(something? I am not sure about the version)

Fifa 15(Can't play this, new controls make no sense)
Fifa 10(Can play this)

Starcraft 2
Rome Total War
Supreme Commander 2
Rise of Nations
Civilisation 4
Sins of a Solar Empire

So which game should I play? I know this sounds stupid, but I can give like 1 hour a day for gaming at the moment.

I basically know all the RTS games, so there is no learning to be done, but I want to play some of the first person stuff and I am wary of the learning curve and time investment.

Also this is probably a hilariously stupid question but if I can get an old copy of Half Life 2, should I get it and play it? I hear this name a lot, but my acquintance with FPS games has never gone beyond HALO, BF Vietname, CoD 2, and Medal of Honour

Would appreciate some help

#2 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 20 January 2017 - 07:34 AM

Half-Life 2 rules.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#3 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 20 January 2017 - 08:02 AM

Definitely try half-life 2. It hasn't aged amazingly well but it's an important and iconic game. I've always loved the feel and sound of the combat in hl2. Something about the bullet penetration is super satisfying.

COD 4 is relatively short and also a seminal game with some innovative ideas about how to make fps campaign.

Is it Farcry 1, 2, 3 or 4? I'd argue you can skip 1 and 2 but 3 and 4 are some of my favorite games ever. They are amazing but also very big and will take you 30+ hours or even a hundred to complete.

If you go for a Elder scrolls game I'd pick Skyrim. It's the better rookie experience.

Personally my order of play would be hl2, cod4 and then either farcry or skyrim.

This post has been edited by Apt: 20 January 2017 - 10:39 AM

#4 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 20 January 2017 - 09:43 AM

Starcraft 2 is worthy and your familiar with RTS.

Agreed about farcry 1 and 2. 3 and 4 are the same game but 4 is the more recent so if you have time for only one play 4. Its a great FPS and its open world, it may work out for you since the open world may let you stay away from any serious encounters untill you adapt.

COD 4 is a good games and can be completed in about 7 hours or less. So perhaps that suits your timeframe best.

#5 User is offline   Andorion 

• God

Posted 20 January 2017 - 09:53 AM

It's Farcry 2. I am not sure 4 would run on my computer.

I'll try to get HL2 then, since everyone seems to like it.

I have played a couple of Starcraft missions and I quite like it so far.

One thing that I constantly look for and rarely get is an RTS game which really emphasises the naval aspect. The old Empire Earth game did that with a variety of naval units but lots of games seem to ignore that aspect totally.

#6 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 20 January 2017 - 10:43 AM

Farcry 2 isn't bad it just pales in comparison to the third one. You could certainly have some fun with the open world experience but it wouldn't be my priority.

I think I remember total war Empire having a large focus on naval warfare?

This post has been edited by Apt: 20 January 2017 - 10:44 AM

#7 User is offline   Mentalist 

• Martyr of High House Mafia
  • Group: High House Mafia
  • Interests:Soccer, Chess, swimming, books, misc
  • Junior Mafia Mod

Posted 20 January 2017 - 01:58 PM

Cossacks: European Wars did naval stuff well. Not sure if the remake (called Cossacks 3) does the same, but you can check out the original either on Steam or GOG.
The problem with the gene pool is that there's no lifeguard
THE CONTESTtm WINNER--чемпіон самоконтролю

View PostJump Around, on 23 October 2011 - 11:04 AM, said:

And I want to state that Ment has out-weaseled me by far in this game.

#8 User is offline   Andorion 

• God

Posted 20 January 2017 - 02:30 PM

View PostApt, on 20 January 2017 - 10:43 AM, said:

Farcry 2 isn't bad it just pales in comparison to the third one. You could certainly have some fun with the open world experience but it wouldn't be my priority.

I think I remember total war Empire having a large focus on naval warfare?

I really wanted to play this game. I love the theme. But the one time I tried Emperor on my computer, it was extremely glitchy.

View PostMentalist, on 20 January 2017 - 01:58 PM, said:

Cossacks: European Wars did naval stuff well. Not sure if the remake (called Cossacks 3) does the same, but you can check out the original either on Steam or GOG.

Do you mean the old Cossacks Ment? Set in the 16th and 17th C? I have that, its great, maps are a bit limited though.

I have never been able to get Cossacks:Napoleonic Wars to actually run. Screen turns black, then back to desktop.

#9 User is offline   Mentalist 

• Martyr of High House Mafia
  • Interests:Soccer, Chess, swimming, books, misc
  • Junior Mafia Mod

Posted 20 January 2017 - 03:40 PM

Yeah, that's the one. There's been a recent re-release, but I haven't had a chance to play it yet.

Also, play Half-life 2. I don't even like shooters, and I mostly enjoyed that game.
The problem with the gene pool is that there's no lifeguard
THE CONTESTtm WINNER--чемпіон самоконтролю

View PostJump Around, on 23 October 2011 - 11:04 AM, said:

And I want to state that Ment has out-weaseled me by far in this game.

#10 User is offline   Dadding 

• Shaved Knuckle in the Hole

Posted 20 January 2017 - 04:12 PM

I've been playing a lot of Morrowind lately. 50 hours or so in the last two weeks, become a bit obsessed. It's a lot of fun, a bit hard to get into initially if you're not used to old-school RPGs, which I wasn't. Every time I try to do the main quest I get distracted with the dozens of side quests that all seem to catch my attention. Very different from Skyrim, but that's worth playing too, it was my first foray into the Elder Scrolls series. But I've found myself engrossed in the lore and worldbuilding, I wrote up own timeline and I'm taking notes, nerding out.

I'll also toss my vote in for HL2, can't go wrong with anything Half Life or Portal related.

#11 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 20 January 2017 - 08:08 PM

View PostApt, on 20 January 2017 - 08:02 AM, said:

Definitely try half-life 2. It hasn't aged amazingly well but it's an important and iconic game.

Gonna disagree with this. Shooters are like the most dire genre in gaming, and so few have learned the right lessons from HL2 it's incredible. This remains the antidote to CoD-style mechanized blandness or the braindead machismo of so many games. It's fun, diverse, challenging, and actually has good characters in a worthwhile story. It's the Terminator 2 to all the Ecks vs. Severs in the shooter world.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#12 User is offline   Avatar 

• High Fist

Posted 20 January 2017 - 11:03 PM

What Apt said. Also, Star Craft 2 and Farcry (3 and 4 are my favourites as well) do fine when you have an hour per day. Both have quests or levels you can finish within an hour, i find them easier to let go then most rpg.

#13 User is offline   Dadding 

• Shaved Knuckle in the Hole

Posted 21 January 2017 - 02:05 AM

View PostCheesewiz, on 20 January 2017 - 10:03 PM, said:

Just get past the dated graphics(they were so good back then)

And / or get the Morrowind graphics overhaul if you decide to play it. Really easy to install, and makes a world of difference + fixes some gameplay stuff too.

#14 User is offline   MTS 

• Fourth Investiture

Posted 21 January 2017 - 03:13 AM

View PostAndorion, on 20 January 2017 - 09:53 AM, said:

One thing that I constantly look for and rarely get is an RTS game which really emphasises the naval aspect. The old Empire Earth game did that with a variety of naval units but lots of games seem to ignore that aspect totally.

I know it's not on the list, but for all its faults, Rome II: Total War did naval warfare fairly well I thought. I haven't played Attila, which is supposed to be better, but if you're looking for an RTS with naval elements in the future, it's certainly there.

I'd continue with COD4 after HL2 as the single-player campaign is pretty good and at your speed you'll knock it out in under a week. I remember spending some time replaying a few of those missions, as they're quite fun and quickly doable.
Antiquis temporibus, nati tibi similes in rupibus ventosissimis exponebantur ad necem.

Si hoc adfixum in obice legere potes, et liberaliter educatus et nimis propinquus ades.

#15 User is offline   Andorion 

• God

Posted 21 January 2017 - 04:09 AM

View PostDadding, on 20 January 2017 - 04:12 PM, said:

I've been playing a lot of Morrowind lately. 50 hours or so in the last two weeks, become a bit obsessed. It's a lot of fun, a bit hard to get into initially if you're not used to old-school RPGs, which I wasn't. Every time I try to do the main quest I get distracted with the dozens of side quests that all seem to catch my attention. Very different from Skyrim, but that's worth playing too, it was my first foray into the Elder Scrolls series. But I've found myself engrossed in the lore and worldbuilding, I wrote up own timeline and I'm taking notes, nerding out.

I'll also toss my vote in for HL2, can't go wrong with anything Half Life or Portal related.

View PostCheesewiz, on 20 January 2017 - 10:03 PM, said:

MOOOORRRRRROOOOOWINDDDDD in case you missed it the 1st time.

Seriously epic game. Just get past the dated graphics(they were so good back then) and you will be treated to some epic story. You ll spend hrs devouring The in game bks building up your info on the world and legends. Spend hrs getting lost in the landscape and not mind one bit. You can fly or do Hulk like leaps(pick acrobatics and atheletics as 2 of the 10 skills to lvl up faster.

Skyrim is good eye candy but takes place 200 yrs afterward. Play Morrowind 1st then enjoy Skyrim.

The problem with open world games like Morrowind or Skyrim for me is time. These require a serious time commitment, which is a bit of a problem for me.

Also all the attributes make no sense for me at least.

I played a little bit of Morrowind and died on the first quest I think - it was a training quest and I got killed by a giant ratPosted Image

#16 User is offline   Andorion 

• God

Posted 21 January 2017 - 04:10 AM

View PostAvatar, on 20 January 2017 - 11:03 PM, said:

What Apt said. Also, Star Craft 2 and Farcry (3 and 4 are my favourites as well) do fine when you have an hour per day. Both have quests or levels you can finish within an hour, i find them easier to let go then most rpg.

Star Craft 2 looks very interesting, but I think I need to adapt a bit to play it. I have always subscribed to the "build huge fortress" school of thought, but I think Starcraft asks for something different.

#17 User is offline   Andorion 

• God

Posted 21 January 2017 - 04:12 AM

View Postdeath rattle, on 20 January 2017 - 08:08 PM, said:

View PostApt, on 20 January 2017 - 08:02 AM, said:

Definitely try half-life 2. It hasn't aged amazingly well but it's an important and iconic game.

Gonna disagree with this. Shooters are like the most dire genre in gaming, and so few have learned the right lessons from HL2 it's incredible. This remains the antidote to CoD-style mechanized blandness or the braindead machismo of so many games. It's fun, diverse, challenging, and actually has good characters in a worthwhile story. It's the Terminator 2 to all the Ecks vs. Severs in the shooter world.

I played a little bit of HL2 last night. Got to say that was the longest intro to any game I have ever played. I saved and quit at the point when the other guy gave me a crowbar.

This has me a little puzzled. All melee weapons in FPS are usually blades. A crowbar is new.

#18 User is offline   Messremb 

• Honorary Symp of High House Mafia
  • High Artificer of Team Quick Ben

Posted 21 January 2017 - 08:15 PM

View PostAndorion, on 21 January 2017 - 04:12 AM, said:

I played a little bit of HL2 last night. Got to say that was the longest intro to any game I have ever played. I saved and quit at the point when the other guy gave me a crowbar.

This has me a little puzzled. All melee weapons in FPS are usually blades. A crowbar is new.

Go play HL1 before you comment on long openings :(

HL was set in a science facility. Not many science facilities have swords hanging around. All science facilities have a crowbar for those times when some gentle encouragement of equipment is called for.

I think you're missing out by not playing HL1 first but the game hasn't aged particularly well with graphics.

Black Mesa: Source (remake of the original) seems to have jumped to Steam and has a price tag now - here - although you can still get the mod from the "Mod Download" section of the official website for free although I think you do need to have a Source game installed on Steam or the Source SDK or some such.

I'd been debating what to play myself, Mass Effect series has been due a first run through for a while but I think I'm going to run through HL1 first for old times sake.
"see that stranger's arm crushing the life from him - do you understand? Not an eternal prison for Messremb"

#19 User is offline   Andorion 

• God

Posted 22 January 2017 - 01:43 AM

I have actually made some progress in HL2. I almost got eaten by a noodle alien thingy but my main problem is helicopters keep shooting at me and I have a pistol.

Also does anyone here know how to get past that stupid sniper flashback mission in CoD4?

BK, if I actually finish HL2, I shall take a look at the others, I promise

#20 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 22 January 2017 - 04:52 PM

View PostAndorion, on 20 January 2017 - 06:33 AM, said:

So now that I have some free time again I was just sorting through my stuff and I discovered that I actually have some games

Elder Scrolls Morrowind
Elder Scrolls Skyrim
CoD 4

Fifa 10(Can play this)

Starcraft 2
Rome Total War
Supreme Commander 2
Rise of Nations
Civilisation 4
Sins of a Solar Empire

So which game should I play? I know this sounds stupid, but I can give like 1 hour a day for gaming at the moment.

I basically know all the RTS games, so there is no learning to be done, but I want to play some of the first person stuff and I am wary of the learning curve and time investment.

Also this is probably a hilariously stupid question but if I can get an old copy of Half Life 2, should I get it and play it? I hear this name a lot, but my acquintance with FPS games has never gone beyond HALO, BF Vietname, CoD 2, and Medal of Honour

Would appreciate some help

Elder Scrolls Morrowind
Elder Scrolls Skyrim
CoD 4

Fifa 10(Can play this)

Starcraft 2
Rome Total War
Supreme Commander 2
Rise of Nations
Civilisation 4
Sins of a Solar Empire

Starcraft 2
Rome Total War
Supreme Commander 2
Rise of Nations
Civilisation 4
Sins of a Solar Empire

Rome Total War

Rome Total War

You put Rome Freaking Total War on your list and no-one mentioned it?

It is quite simply the greatest game ever made. So many happy hours have been sunk into that game. My new Windows 10 PC doesn't like it (something to do with the age of the game and Direct X) but it sounds like your computer will play it just fine.

I mean,

I can give like 1 hour a day for gaming at the moment.
might be a problem, seen as it is relentlessly addictive. The first time I ever played it was in uni, and I thought I'd play for a couple of hours one evening, starting playing around half past seven. I next looked up and it was half past two in the morning...
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users