Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Final Thoughts on Reaper's Gale a little disappointed

#1 User is offline   nicetrout 

• Sergeant
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 08 January 2017 - 08:34 PM

So I finished Reaper's Gale this morning and I was a little disappointed. The ending was pretty great, especially enjoying the Marines cutting their way across the countryside to Letheras which ended up being maybe my favorite part of the book. Beak, all of that and their entire fight was pretty awesome. I found the battle over the finnest with Silchas Ruin to be pretty awesome however I was underwhelmed by several parts of the ending.

Chiefly, the duel between Karsa and Rhulad.
The duel, which essentially has been being hyped up since the end of Bonehunters was continued to be built up over the entirety of the book, only to end in a brief confrontation towards the end of the book. The duel was pretty cool to read about but, I don't know I suppose I just expected more after all the hype. Karsa just beat him because you know Karsa is the coolest and best. Like I love Karsa being the world's biggest bad ass and all but it slightly made the duel feel without drama. I know Brys had his hand in it and all, I understand in a way that Rhulad was already defeated by the time they dueled but the whole thing just felt kind of Matter of Fact.

I enjoy that Tehol's scheme did kind of pay off in a satisfying way, we had been told for so long he's a genius and creating this collapse. I was afraid that was going to be abstract but it manifested in a really awesome way in the end of the book. Also Emperor Tehol is sure to be the best.

The battle with Silchas Ruin in Starvald Demelain was awesome and that whole sequence is probably the stand out of the book for me, it felt like drama their that was lacking in some parts of the final book for me. Also very interested to see how that Azath comes back to play, it feels to be very important.

Tanal Yathvanar and his rape dungeon felt gratuitous to me. I do not feel like this was a good use of sexual assault in a narrative, it felt through away and for shock not trying to seriously talk about sexual assault.

The Redmask, Brohl and Attri-Preda plot line just ended up feeling just like a sideshow. Maybe I don't yet know why it was important but just like why did I learn about this side war? I'm just confused. I didn't hate it and Redmask was cool, like I'm always down for some K'chain'che'malle.

Overall I would say I was disappointed in Reaper's Gale. It was especially disappointing considering I think of Midnight Tides as probably my favorite of the books for telling a really unique and tight story in one book. I think all the world of Midnight Tides and I found it to be a just decent follow up to. I'd place this book next to House of Chains in my ratings, just above Gardens of the Moon.
Looking forward to Toll the Hounds, pretty curious what's it about considering a lot of stuff seemed to be wrapped up in a way in this.

#2 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer
  • Interests:Football

Posted 08 January 2017 - 08:41 PM

RG is pretty important. Like, vital to the series. TTH is also necessary but it's its own tale.
Trouble arrives when the opponents to such a system institute its extreme opposite, where individualism becomes godlike and sacrosanct, and no greater service to any other ideal (including community) is possible. In such a system rapacious greed thrives behind the guise of freedom, and the worst aspects of human nature come to the fore....

#3 User is offline   Gorefest 

• Witness

Posted 08 January 2017 - 08:54 PM

Yeah, Reaper's Gale is very much a transitional book to set up the end game. It is moving a large number of players into position. TtH will move the remaining players into their required story slots and will tie up some important storylines, after which DoD and tCG together are the final chapter of the tale. I found RG a lot more rewarding on a reread, because if you don't know where certain plot elements are going, it can feel confusing or unneccessary. However, there actually is very little digression, although you can of course argue about the effectiveness of some of the chosen storytelling approaches. I, as yourself, thought the whole rape business was rather gratuitous and unneccessary.
Yesterday, upon the stair, I saw a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today. Oh, how I wish he'd go away.

#4 User is offline   nicetrout 

• Sergeant

Posted 08 January 2017 - 09:18 PM

I definetly see how it's necessary, I don't think I accused Erikson of that. I just found the book to be a disappointing follow up to midnight tides, for the reasons listed above.

#5 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 09 January 2017 - 06:13 AM

Karsa didn't go all badass on Rhulad. He used his brains and resources to free himself and the Letherii from the CG. That was the point.

The Awl storyline, I think, showed the futility of a native people resisting an uncaring civilization, but also shows us that the Kchain Chemalle are active.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#6 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 09 January 2017 - 06:35 AM

If'n I were a bettin' man, I'd wager these won't be your final thoughts on Reaper's Gale.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#7 User is offline   nicetrout 

• Sergeant

Posted 09 January 2017 - 02:05 PM

Lol I just read that I should probably read night of knives and return of the crimson guard before toll the Hounds. Is that true?

#8 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer
  • Interests:Football

Posted 09 January 2017 - 02:21 PM

You don't need to, but publication order is a very common read-order.
Trouble arrives when the opponents to such a system institute its extreme opposite, where individualism becomes godlike and sacrosanct, and no greater service to any other ideal (including community) is possible. In such a system rapacious greed thrives behind the guise of freedom, and the worst aspects of human nature come to the fore....

#9 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 10 January 2017 - 03:56 AM

nicetrout, on 09 January 2017 - 02:05 PM, said:

Lol I just read that I should probably read night of knives and return of the crimson guard before toll the Hounds. Is that true?

Yep.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users