Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The Quest for Scabandari Bloodeye

#1 User is offline   nicetrout 

• Sergeant
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 05 January 2017 - 06:30 PM

So I only have about two hundred pages left in RG and I have to say I have been bamboozled and confused in regards to this plot line.
I loved Midnight Tides, really loved the whole new setting and the conflict between the Edur and the Letherii, I like all of the people involved, loved Udinaas, Fear and Seren Pedac. So the whole story line has just felt like this slog even now when they have gone into Mockra to and are getting closer to Scabandari?
Just why am I supposed to care? I don't feel like I ever understood why all of these people are together on this journey? Like I know Kettle was speaking for Bloodeye or something but why does Fear go along? Why is Seren there? Why did Udinaas go? Can somebody help me out? I'm out of the loop and confused about why anybody is on this quest and as a result have been having little fun with this plot.

Thanks, first post here. I was finally driven to some forum cause I was desperate to talk about these awesome books.
Posted ImagePosted Image

#2 User is offline   Vengeance 

• High Priest of Shinrei Love and Worship
  • Group: Administrators
  • very good...;)

Posted 05 January 2017 - 08:57 PM

NiceTrout I am a little unsure of how to answer this question with out spoiling major things in the book. I can sympathize with the struggling that you are having. But since you have made it thus far into the books it shouldn't be that difficult to continue through and see where the journey takes them. Depending on where you are at some of the characters don't yet know why they are on the trip. Those are discoveries that they make along the way.
How many fucking people do I have to hammer in order to get that across.
Hinter - Vengy - DIE. I trusted you you bastard!!!!!!!

Steven Erikson made drowning in alien cum possible - Obdigore

#3 User is offline   Puck 

• Mausetöter

Posted 05 January 2017 - 09:03 PM

It's a dig at a typical D&D adventuring party, complete with getting sidetracked at various points. I think Udinaas at one point comments on that at length.

As to why they are there, well.. Fear sets out at the end of MT to find Scabby and return triumphantly to bring Rhulad to heel again and is actually the instigator of the whole adventure. Most of the others just more or less get dragged along. Silchas and Kettle have Azath business to take care of which you probably have yet to read about and Silchas is the only one powerful enough to keep them all alive through the trek. They hire Seren as a guide to get out of Letheras at the end of MT, making it basically impossible for her to return, and besides, Fear is convinced that she is betrothed to Trull and would probably not let her out of his 'protection' anyway. Udinaas just had no say on whether to go along or not, as he was unconscious at the time and is a fugitive for whom half the empire is looking, courtesy of abandoning Rhulad at a crutial moment. They're basically a bunch of people who have no business to be on a mythical quest together but go along because they have nowhere else to go. Half of them hate each other. If it feels like a slog, that's likely to be intentional.
Puck was not birthed, she was cleaved from a lava flow and shaped by a fierce god's hands. - [worry]
Ninja Puck, Ninja Puck, really doesn't give a fuck..? - [King Lear]

#4 User is offline   nacht 

• Mortal Sword

Posted 06 January 2017 - 09:55 AM

Fear is pursuing the hope of redemption for the Edur.
Seren is running away from the memory of her rape.
Udinaas is running away from Rhulad who has become dependent on him.
Silchas and Kettle are on a mission.

There are many complex emotional reasons but bottom line is they dont want to be where they were and as the saying goes "misery loves company".

#5 User is offline   nicetrout 

• Sergeant

Posted 06 January 2017 - 04:10 PM

Thanks everbody they just got to Starvald Demelain so shit's gonna get all topsy turvy. Looking forward to it

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users