• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

So I read some spoilers... Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Kashman 

• Recruit
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 02 January 2017 - 07:47 PM

As I am halfway through Reaper's Gale and couldn't stop looking on the wiki... whew, punished, so I read that:
1. Karsa kills Rhulad
2. Rake dies
3. Tavore liberates tCG
4. Cotillion kills tCG
And now my question is... HOW THE HELL DO I LIVE WITH THAT?!
For now I just keep reading like nothing happened.

#2 User is online   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 02 January 2017 - 07:52 PM

Sure, now you get to pay attention and watch all the little subtle things that hint at what is eventually coming. Erikson hides a lot of meaning in the little things.

#3 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 02 January 2017 - 07:53 PM

Dude, you ruined nearly everything that is worth noting for big moments in the latter books. Hell #3 is the BIG twist that defined the entire series for me.

Make no mistake, it's STILL well well worth reading to the end (and then re-reading)...but you blew some of the most gasp worthy moments in the series for yourself.

It's not going to be easy to live with it, but keep reading. There is a enough TO those events to make them "new" to you anyways. You just won't get the shock value.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#4 User is offline   champ 

• Omnipotent Overseer of the Universe
  • Group: Team Quick Ben

Posted 02 January 2017 - 08:02 PM

Don''t worry... the Wiki lies... it's all LIES I tell you!

Tehol said:

'Yet my heart breaks for a naked hen.'

#5 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 02 January 2017 - 08:45 PM

You should be thrown in prison.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#6 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 02 January 2017 - 09:02 PM

We can deremember those things for you for a small price.

Also, minor surgery.
Are you allergic to llamas? What about balsamic vinegar?
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#7 User is offline   Kashman 

• Recruit

Posted 03 January 2017 - 12:04 PM

Nah, I knew already these things before, you know... ? On some level... They were pretty much easy to foresee except, maybe, Rake's death... Yeah, whatever, series isn't that good to be honest. Okay, it's pretty good. But could be better!
But, seriously, now I'm just like... Meh. I can live with it.

#8 User is online   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 03 January 2017 - 12:50 PM

The series isn't that good? ... HE'S A WITCH!

#9 User is offline   Vengeance 

• High Priest of Shinrei Love and Worship
  • very good...;)

Posted 03 January 2017 - 02:38 PM

View PostKashman, on 03 January 2017 - 12:04 PM, said:

Nah, I knew already these things before, you know... ? On some level... They were pretty much easy to foresee except, maybe, Rake's death... Yeah, whatever, series isn't that good to be honest. Okay, it's pretty good. But could be better!
But, seriously, now I'm just like... Meh. I can live with it.

You only have yourself to blame. If you wish I can spoil all movies that you wish to see and all TV shows that you are also currently addicted to. If spoilers is something that you like.
How many fucking people do I have to hammer in order to get that across.
Hinter - Vengy - DIE. I trusted you you bastard!!!!!!!

Steven Erikson made drowning in alien cum possible - Obdigore

#10 User is offline   Coltaine - 

• First Sword

Posted 03 January 2017 - 02:45 PM

Sounds like a case of post-Rake depression to me. Time to visit a doctor and get some coloured pills. Or just read the missing books. Malazan is the best medicine B)

#11 User is offline   End of Disc One 

• House Knight

Posted 03 January 2017 - 03:11 PM

Man I used to be awful about reading spoilers. I would read slowly yet I was SO interested in this series that it was impossible for me not to peek at the forums. I was mainly interested in "Ho'd Wins" so I would read discussion on that. I spoiled just about every big event pre-TCG for myself, but at least that last book was fresh for me. I still enjoyed the hell out of the books.

#12 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 03 January 2017 - 05:59 PM

View PostKashman, on 03 January 2017 - 12:04 PM, said:

Yeah, whatever, series isn't that good to be honest. Okay, it's pretty good. But could be better

You're in denial. It's ok, this will pass.

Try drinking to forget.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#13 User is offline   Kashman 

• Recruit

Posted 25 June 2017 - 01:31 PM

Whew, I have to say that I don't feel like these spoilers changed that much. More important were reasons and consequences to them... Yeah... that's all i have to say for now.

#14 User is offline   Gorefest 

• Witness

Posted 25 June 2017 - 03:05 PM

Meh.
Yesterday, upon the stair, I saw a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today. Oh, how I wish he'd go away.

#15 User is offline   Whisperzzzzzzz 

• Reaper's Fail

Posted 25 June 2017 - 06:42 PM

View PostKashman, on 25 June 2017 - 01:31 PM, said:

...More important were reasons and consequences...

Yes!

#16 User is offline   jamesholver9 

• Recruit

Posted 27 June 2017 - 07:28 AM

And I like spoilers)
Maybe someone not, but I really like to hear about book before I will read it - for me it is more interesting))))

#17 User is offline   Kashman 

• Recruit

Posted 11 July 2017 - 10:18 PM

So, after some digesting all the facts I am kinda confused and I'm not sure what to ask. Was that seeking for warriors for Rhulad actually seeking for help of Crippled God ?You know, Kolanse is a lot closer to Lether than Malazan Empire. I guess Edur with Lether army weren't enough to get his heart back. Also other gods should know about Forkrul's plan so why are they concerned only about CG himself ? They talk a lot about CG poisoning the warrens but not about FA. NOBODY TALKS ABOUT FA until the last book. I know Erikson wanted to surprise us, but... And seems like that poison was problem all the time, though there weren't signs of it after MoI.And I remember in HoC there was some mentioning about huge army destroying worlds, was that something to look at ?

This post has been edited by Kashman: 11 July 2017 - 10:21 PM

#18 User is offline   Gorefest 

• Witness

Posted 12 July 2017 - 10:54 AM

View PostKashman, on 11 July 2017 - 10:18 PM, said:

So, after some digesting all the facts I am kinda confused and I'm not sure what to ask. Was that seeking for warriors for Rhulad actually seeking for help of Crippled God ?You know, Kolanse is a lot closer to Lether than Malazan Empire. I guess Edur with Lether army weren't enough to get his heart back. Also other gods should know about Forkrul's plan so why are they concerned only about CG himself ? They talk a lot about CG poisoning the warrens but not about FA. NOBODY TALKS ABOUT FA until the last book. I know Erikson wanted to surprise us, but... And seems like that poison was problem all the time, though there weren't signs of it after MoI.And I remember in HoC there was some mentioning about huge army destroying worlds, was that something to look at ?

The champions were to increase Rhulad's power. Every time he died he returned slightly stronger, so the CG was creating an ultimately unbeatable champion. I don't think this was specifically to send him to Kolanse to fight; the Cg was just lashing out in general to the gods and the world that had chained him wrecked with pain.

The FA as a species are talked about from very early on. We even meet our first FA (Sister Calm) in book 4, House of Chains, where she is unintentionally freed by a young Karsa. Sister Calm is one of the renegade Pures in Kolanse who end up with the CG heart in DoD and tCG. So I'm not sure what you mean with nobody talking about the FA. At the time of the MBotF, most FA have disappeared from the Malazan realm and human memory, so apart from some ancient ascendants and Gods, nobody even knows about them so they would not be talking about them. The Malazan empire isn't even aware of Kolanse until the Bonehunters go to Lether. The Letherii themselves only know that communications with Kolanse have dried up over the past decade, but the continental geography (the Glass Desert etc) make reliable intel difficult.

The main poison effect discussed and resolved in MoI was the CG poisoning Burn, the Sleeping goddess. This was resolved or at least significantly slowed by the release of Omthose Phellack by the Pannion Seer and his sister and was also mostly geographically contained (eastern Genabackis). However, the presence of the CG still affects the Warrens due to the otherworldly/chaos magic effects on K'rul's paths in particular (and also to a lesser extent on some older racial warrens).

Not sure what army you are referencing from HoC, to be honest. Could be a few that fit the bill (Edur fleets, Malazan hosts, Whirlwind?). Can you specify the passage that you are referring to?
Yesterday, upon the stair, I saw a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today. Oh, how I wish he'd go away.

#19 User is offline   Kashman 

• Recruit

Posted 12 July 2017 - 04:40 PM

The champions were to increase Rhulad's power. Every time he died he returned slightly stronger, so the CG was creating an ultimately unbeatable champion

I didn't remember he was getting stronger, just... more insane, whew since he was "immortal" it didn't really matter. But, I just wonder what was in tCG's mind: "I want everyone to feel pain, cuz I don't know anything else and FA have my heart so... what do I do with that ?" Maybe assuming he knew what was happenning with his heart is too much ? Or maybe he was fine with that ? Ok, then.

The FA as a species are talked about from very early on. We even meet our first FA (Sister Calm) in book 4, House of Chains, where she is unintentionally freed by a young Karsa. Sister Calm is one of the renegade Pures in Kolanse who end up with the CG heart in DoD and tCG. So I'm not sure what you mean with nobody talking about the FA. At the time of the MBotF, most FA have disappeared from the Malazan realm and human memory, so apart from some ancient ascendants and Gods, nobody even knows about them so they would not be talking about them. The Malazan empire isn't even aware of Kolanse until the Bonehunters go to Lether. The Letherii themselves only know that communications with Kolanse have dried up over the past decade, but the continental geography (the Glass Desert etc) make reliable intel difficult.

Whew, someone should know what are FA doing and we have no signs of that before DoD, just Tavore going somewhere to do... something. Even when it is said that she wants to free tCG I thought it was from chains, not from FA. And does freeing Calm tells us something about it ?

The main poison effect discussed and resolved in MoI was the CG poisoning Burn, the Sleeping goddess. This was resolved or at least significantly slowed by the release of Omthose Phellack by the Pannion Seer and his sister and was also mostly geographically contained (eastern Genabackis). However, the presence of the CG still affects the Warrens due to the otherworldly/chaos magic effects on K'rul's paths in particular (and also to a lesser extent on some older racial warrens).

I guess, just some signs that warrens aren't completely fine after MoI would be appreciated.

Not sure what army you are referencing from HoC, to be honest. Could be a few that fit the bill (Edur fleets, Malazan hosts, Whirlwind?). Can you specify the passage that you are referring to?

I can't find it, but maybe I remember it wrong and it was reference to Edur/FA/something.

#20 User is offline   Nevyn 

• Shield Anvil

Posted 12 July 2017 - 06:03 PM

View PostKashman, on 12 July 2017 - 04:40 PM, said:

I didn't remember he was getting stronger, just... more insane, whew since he was "immortal" it didn't really matter. But, I just wonder what was in tCG's mind: "I want everyone to feel pain, cuz I don't know anything else and FA have my heart so... what do I do with that ?" Maybe assuming he knew what was happenning with his heart is too much ? Or maybe he was fine with that ? Ok, then.

You missed rather a lot then. The whole point of the Rhulad storyline was that he would come back stronger if someone could kill him.

Whew, someone should know what are FA doing and we have no signs of that before DoD, just Tavore going somewhere to do... something. Even when it is said that she wants to free tCG I thought it was from chains, not from FA. And does freeing Calm tells us something about it ?

The series is related from the point of view of various characters. And most of those characters did not know the full details, or were hiding those details. It is a stylistic choice.

You are used to a god's eye view. That's fine, but if you don't like it I'm amazed you got all the way through.

In addition, a big part of the flavor of the series is all these powerful characters with unclear motives (gods, Empresses, adjuncts, high mages). And a further key component is the pathos of the Bonehunters as they March off without really understanding the destination or motive they are being driven towards. Not to mention a lot of the suspense in the series is in finding out what is going on, rather than simply how it resolved or who wins. Which would also explain where spoiling every major plot point multiple 1000 page books before the conclusion probably didnt help you enjoy it.

This post has been edited by Nevyn: 12 July 2017 - 06:04 PM

Tatts early in SH game: Hmm, so if I'm liberal I should have voted Nein to make sure I'm president? I'm not that selfish

Tatts later in SAME game: I'm going to be a corrupt official. I have turned from my liberal ways, and now will vote against the pesky liberals. Viva la Fascism.
When Venge's turn comes, he will get a yes from Mess, Dolmen, Nevyn and Venge but a no from the 3 fascists and me. **** with my Government, and i'll **** with yours

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users