Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Thinking about getting a 3DS Should I?

#1 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 24 December 2016 - 12:53 PM

I have an option to get a 2DS for about 50$. I always wanted one but the price stopped me. 50$ is pretty cheap though and these days you can get all the games you want.

I want it for the mario games and bravely default, luigi Mansion and preffesor layton etc. I think there are enough games I will enjoy playing. The thing that has me hesistating is I wonder that if I am willing to pay the 50$ for a 2DS maybe its better to spend the 200$ (hopefully cheaper if I can get it second hand) for a new 3DS or even new 3DS XL for the clamshell design, the 3D effect, better screen size and better CPU.

Anyone on the forum own a 2DS and 3DS that can comment?

#2 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile
  • Group: Malazan Artist

Posted 24 December 2016 - 01:23 PM

I have a 3DS Xl. Used to use it more, not so much these days. I guess I'd use it more if I was commuting it something.

I tend not to use the 3d much, i keep it on a lower setting. Zelda, Prof Layton, Fire Emblem and Fantasy Life are all fun.

I don't use it often anymore as it's hard to hold onto for any real length of time. I mean, the thing is thin and rectangular, and puts your hands in an unnatural posture. When you have gaming time and you have that or a 48inch tv with a controller, there's no contest. Also, my galaxy tab has an amazing screen and some great games on now for when I'm out and about or on nightshift or something, and it makes the Ds screen look decidedly dated.
So that's the story. And what was the real lesson? Don't leave things in the fridge.

#3 User is offline   Raymond Luxury Yacht 

• Throatwobbler Mangrove
  • Group: Grumpy Old Sods
  • Interests:Quiet desperation and self-loathing

Posted 24 December 2016 - 03:19 PM

I've got an old 3ds I don't use. I got it for free so I was never invested in it. Mario is the only game I have for it. I should play it more, that game was fun. I just rarely bring a portable game system other than my phone with me, and if I do it's my vita with 64 gb of games saved on it.

It's a neat little system though for sure.
Error: Signature not valid

#4 User is offline   polishgenius 

• Heart of Courage
  • Group: LHTEC

Posted 24 December 2016 - 04:06 PM

The other bonus to a New 3DS, which might factor into your decision, is that Nintendo released some SNES ports that only work on it and not the older systems. As someone who grew up without those it irks me that I can't play them on my regular XL.

Anyway, I've not played a 2DS or the new 3DS but the system as a whole is a great bit of kit.
I can't carry it for you, but I can carry you.

#5 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 24 December 2016 - 06:20 PM

If you'd be willing to go all the way up to 200 for the 3ds, I'd probably just wait for Nintendo Switch. It will almost certainly get Alle the 3ds/ds titles ported to it and the rumor suggests the Base model will cost 250. That way you will have access to Nintendos past and future catalogue.

On the other hand if it's just the back catalogue you're interested in and don't play that many games anyway I think I'd get the 50 dollar offer.

#6 User is offline   Stefan 

• Recruit

Posted 28 January 2017 - 04:58 AM

Also, take into consideration the difference between the 3DS and the New 3DS. Many games run much, much better on the New 3DS, and if you are interested in playing Virtual Console games, Super Nintendo titles are exclusive to the New as well.

#7 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 28 January 2017 - 02:05 PM

I decided to try get a new 3DS but I cant get ahold of one. They are as rare as hens teeth.

#8 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 26 July 2021 - 02:00 PM

View PostAptorian, on 24 December 2016 - 06:20 PM, said:

If you'd be willing to go all the way up to 200 for the 3ds, I'd probably just wait for Nintendo Switch. It will almost certainly get Alle the 3ds/ds titles ported to it and the rumor suggests the Base model will cost 250. That way you will have access to Nintendos past and future catalogue.

On the other hand if it's just the back catalogue you're interested in and don't play that many games anyway I think I'd get the 50 dollar offer.

So I wrote this laughably optimistic post 4 years ago, thinking that SURELY Nintendo would get with the times and create a library of all their handheld titles on the Switch. Oh, how naive I was.

I've been looking at the prices for a 3DS and downloadable games. They're sorta cheap. I think I'm slowly convincing myself to buy this dead platform for the sole purpose of playing games like A Link Between Worlds and Picross 3D and what ever other dross has accumulated in their exclusive pile of dust.

I mean I HAVE to get in now, right? Before they close the 3DS e-shop? It would be irresponsible not to... right???

This post has been edited by Aptorian: 26 July 2021 - 02:49 PM

#9 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 28 July 2021 - 01:31 AM

I'm playing the Zelda Wii U games before they shut down the online shop. On Twilight Princess right now. Wind Waker is my favorite so far.

Fuck Majora's Mask (the figuring out where to go and what to do is significantly harder than the other games, so referring constantly to a walkthrough gets lame).
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#10 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 28 July 2021 - 03:36 AM

I have to believe Nintendo will do some kind of GameCube Zelda collection sooner rather than later. Surely Windwaker will get moved eventually. But weirdly they seem very hesitant to port their DS games to the Switch.

It's like they only like to earn truck loads of money instead of several truck loads of money.

In the meantime the shop I was looking to buy the 3DS now shows as out of stock. This made me look around the net and I realized it's been 2-3 years since they stopped producing 3DSs. Everything I could find was either refurbished models costing around 400 dollars or used listings from people I think stole their console.

Sigh.

This post has been edited by Aptorian: 28 July 2021 - 03:43 AM

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users