• Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Your Best Reads of the Year 2023 ooga chaka ooga chaka ooga ooga ooga chaka

#41 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 14 December 2017 - 02:59 AM

LOL. My 2017 count is in the low 20s. I think maybe doing all of Wheel of Time in 2016 damaged the part of my brain in charge of reading.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#42 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 14 December 2017 - 04:01 AM

View PostBriar King, on 14 December 2017 - 03:25 AM, said:

Best complete book I read this is definitely TIGANA. I thought it was brilliant ...

You are dead to me.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#43 User is offline   acesn8s 

• Soletaken
  • Interests:Reading, video games, role playing games, Fountain Pens, journals...

Posted 14 December 2017 - 12:57 PM

I'm wrapping up The Unholy Consult by the end of the year to make it an even 12.

I think the 2 books I enjoyed the most were The Aeronauts Windlass and Kings of the Wyld.

As stated above I tackled the Aspect-Emperor series this year, as-well-as Fall of Light. Those were excellent books, really heavy hitters, but between work and family I have less time to really focus on reading. I'm enjoying the easier to read books at this point.
“The others followed, and found themselves in a small, stuffy basement, which would have been damp, smelly, close, and dark, were it not, in fact, well-lit, which prevented it from being dark.”
― Steven Brust, The Phoenix Guards

#44 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 14 December 2017 - 01:43 PM

I do believe that Fritz Leiber's Fafhrd & Grey Mouser books may squeak into a "best" category for me to add to my list before the end of the year, as I'm barreling through it and loving every sentence!
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#45 User is offline   End of Disc One 

• House Knight

Posted 14 December 2017 - 02:09 PM

My best reads of the year:

1. Grace of Kings
2. Perdido Street Station (not quite finished but this is a lock)
3. The Unholy Consult

That's a very, very strong top 3. I checked my goodreads and sorry guys but

4. Oathbringer

#46 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 14 December 2017 - 03:25 PM

View PostEnd of Disc One, on 14 December 2017 - 02:09 PM, said:

4. Oathbringer

Don't be... it's a relief to see someone enjoy that when i haven't started it yet.

#47 User is offline   Andorion 

• God
  • Interests:All things Malazan, sundry sci-fi and fantasy, history, Iron Maiden

Posted 14 December 2017 - 03:55 PM

1. Grace of Kings
3. The Unholy Consult

4. Oathbringer

Um... Deadhouse Landing?

#48 User is offline   Andorion 

• God

Posted 14 December 2017 - 03:56 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 14 December 2017 - 01:43 PM, said:

I do believe that Fritz Leiber's Fafhrd & Grey Mouser books may squeak into a "best" category for me to add to my list before the end of the year, as I'm barreling through it and loving every sentence!

That's interesting QT. I have only read the first book and I was rather put off by the sexism.

#49 User is offline   End of Disc One 

• House Knight

Posted 14 December 2017 - 04:20 PM

View PostAndorion, on 14 December 2017 - 03:55 PM, said:

1. Grace of Kings
3. The Unholy Consult

4. Oathbringer

Um... Deadhouse Landing?

Haven't read it yet. And honestly while I thought Dancer's Lament was pretty good, I didn't love it as much as most people did. I'd be surprised if Deadhouse Landing were a top 5 read of the year for me, but would be happy to be proven wrong.

#50 User is offline   Salt-Man Z 

• My pen halts, though I do not
  • View gallery

Posted 14 December 2017 - 04:29 PM

DHL was perfectly fine/great, but I probably read at least 10 books this year that were "better".
"Here is light. You will say that it is not a living entity, but you miss the point that it is more, not less. Without occupying space, it fills the universe. It nourishes everything, yet itself feeds upon destruction. We claim to control it, but does it not perhaps cultivate us as a source of food? May it not be that all wood grows so that it can be set ablaze, and that men and women are born to kindle fires?"
―Gene Wolfe, The Citadel of the Autarch

#51 User is offline   Andorion 

• God

Posted 14 December 2017 - 04:38 PM

View PostEnd of Disc One, on 14 December 2017 - 04:20 PM, said:

View PostAndorion, on 14 December 2017 - 03:55 PM, said:

1. Grace of Kings
3. The Unholy Consult

4. Oathbringer

Um... Deadhouse Landing?

Haven't read it yet. And honestly while I thought Dancer's Lament was pretty good, I didn't love it as much as most people did. I'd be surprised if Deadhouse Landing were a top 5 read of the year for me, but would be happy to be proven wrong.

DHL is easily better than Oathbringer. Just the writing and the characters by themselves outclass it.

Also I would say that it is better than Unholy Consult. Bakker's best books were Warrior Prophet and The Thousandfold Thought. He just sort of wandered away in the last two books of Aspect Emperor.

View PostSalt-Man Z, on 14 December 2017 - 04:29 PM, said:

DHL was perfectly fine/great, but I probably read at least 10 books this year that were "better".

Oh I can easily agree that Stone Sky and City of Miracles were better books than DHL, but DHL entertained me the most.

#52 User is offline   Mentalist 

• Martyr of High House Mafia
  • Group: High House Mafia
  • Interests:Soccer, Chess, swimming, books, misc
  • Junior Mafia Mod

Posted 14 December 2017 - 04:42 PM

Okay, let's arrange all the 5-starred books from Goodreads this year (excluding re-reads)

1 "Unholy Consult"
2 "Tyranny of the Night"
3 "Dancer's Lament"
4 "Origins of Political Order" by Francis Fukuyama (non-fiction)
5 "Magic Breaks" (Kate Daniels #7)
6 "The Great Ordeal"
7 Perumov's "Godsdoom-2" , books 4-6 (I read these back-to-back in less than a week, so they basically read as one book to me. One "so-much-awesome-holy-shit-did-Perumov-really-just-do-that-no-way-and-what's-this-gonna-mean...-ohhhhh-well-holy-fuck-what-no-you-can-make-me-wait-for-two-more-books-NOW-aaaaargh!"book. Only reason this isn't top spot is because the series is not done yet, and it left me hanging with a set-up to a massive conclusion)
8 Traitor's Blade (Greatcoats1)
9 Magic Shifts (Kate Daniels no 8)
10 Price of Valour (Shadow Campaigns, vol 3)

This post has been edited by Mentalist: 14 December 2017 - 06:30 PM

The problem with the gene pool is that there's no lifeguard
THE CONTESTtm WINNER--чемпіон самоконтролю

View PostJump Around, on 23 October 2011 - 11:04 AM, said:

And I want to state that Ment has out-weaseled me by far in this game.

#53 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 14 December 2017 - 06:01 PM

My turn... always fun to backtrack thru the READING thread to see what the past year threw into the thinkymeatz...

This was a good year for reading. Seriously the hard majority of books i read/listened to were enjoyable. Actual dislikes were minimal and striking for that.

BEST SINGLE BOOK I READ ALL YEAR: This was haaaaaarrddd... most of my favorite authors produced some solid work this year. After much thinkyfying, it came down to three very different books...
Bakker's THE UNHOLY CONSULT... Clines' PARADOX BOUND... and, Esslemont's DEADHOUSE LANDING.

After much (much, so SO much... like almost 45 seconds) soul searching (SO MUCH SOUL SEARCHING) and review (SO MUCH SOUL REVIEW SEARCHIFYING), i have to give this to Bakker by the slightest edge over ICE, and i wavered more than once (do you know how much one can waver in 45 seconds...? A LOT!)... but when all's said and done, CONSULT was the most original, most epic, most filled with HOLY FLYING DRAGONFUCK DID I JUST READ THAT!???? that i read this year in a year with a LOT of great books in it. The fact that it (more or less) ends a series i've been reading for years, in a satisfying yet mostly unexpected way counts for a lot too. The book isn't without its flaws (could we please just have a tiny bit less philosophically laden cannibalistic rapey stuff maybe), but while i loved LOVED DHL, i have to give this to Bakker for giving me a book with a whole lot i had never seen before.

BEST OLD FRIENDS IT WAS GREAT TO SEE AGAIN: It wasn't a bad year for 'next book in a series'es... i got to two books in THE EXPANSE, a whole pile of COSMERE from Sanderson, another PETER GRANT book from Aaronovich, last book in the HEART OF THE WORLD, another solid LAUNDRY FILES book from Stross... but i cannot pretend that anything was as awesome as getting back to Malazanland with DEADHOUSE LANDING. ICE just hit all the right notes with this book, the characters, the action beats, the Malazan history and little story asides and everything else...coming off of DANCER'S LAMENT i was trying not to have overblown expectations, but did, and they were exceeded. Awesome, can't wait for the next book.

BEST WHAT THE FUCK WAS THAT WEIRD FUN BOOK: No contest, THE LIBRARY AT MOUNT CHAR was original, epic, ridiculous, surprising, action-packed and just fun to read. This post pretty much sums it up. With a side of guacamole.

BEST ROCK AND ROLL CONCERT IN BOOK FORM: Nicholas Eames KINGS OF THE WYLD. Brilliant? No. Wildly original? Nope. Novel characters? Far from it. Couldn't put it down? OH HELL YES. A love letter to classic fantasy, and classic rock, in a fast paced utterly entertaining package. Great forum reco.

WORSE THING I READ ALL YEAR: I think i'm in a dysfunctional relationship with Kevin Hearne's Iron Druid series. STAKED... this is the second book in a row where tiny little story beats kept me going through a story was i found was just meh, characters who actually irritated me by about halfway, and an earbook narrator who should probably never be allowed near anyone who isn't a white english speaking human male ever again. A character punching a troll's cock off wasn't enought to save this book.

OTHER BOOKS I DIDN'T LOVE BUT DIDN'T HATE: Skovron's HOPE AND RED, Sanderson's WARBREAKER. I read Warbreaker because coming off a soldi binge of Mistborn/Wax n Wayne and heading into ARCANA, i wanted the complete Cosmere story. So ok, yeah, check, got it. but this ranks down with ELANTRIS for Sanderson work i just barely avoided skimming. HOPE AND RED was a freebie that had a classic fantasy vibe to it that drew my attention but just barely held it. Anyone's guess whether I'll pick up the second book which is already out.

And then there was Leckie's ANCILLARY JUSTICE. Interesting book, but i found the earbook narrator so utterly awful that i couldn't get into it. Not the book's fault tho.

BEST SCIFI: Peter Clines' PARADOX BOUND. Everything i love about this author and so much i didn't know he had in him. Less weird, more 'sf' than his 14/FOLD books, less action than his EX HEROES series, but overall better writing and a fun ntake on time travel that so many authors fail to pull off.

HONOURABLE SF MENTION: The RED RISING trilo by Pierce Brown... tho as the fourth book hits in Feb i guess that's not accurate. Despite a slow star, this series really grew on me, held my attention, and gave some fun spaceship vs spaceship, power armor and lasers action. I didn't read a lot of sf this year, but this nailed the craving nicely. I enjoyed how the scope of the series gradually expanded as it moved forward, and while the protag was never in any real risk of dying, the author was suitably brutal to him and the supporting cast that it maintained a nice 'anything can happen' feel to the story.

BESTEST PRETTY PICTURES: LOCKE & KEY. Thank you forum for nudging me to buy that humble-bundle because this series was such a treat to read beginning to end. I though Joe Hill was a mediocre writer trading on his daddy's rep. I no longer think that. Notwithstanding that i was disappointed with the audiodrama version, am looking fwd to the TV show of this.

BEST NEW AUTHOR: VE Schwab is not technically 'new' but she's new to me, and her SHADES OF MAGIC trilo was a treat to read in one go.

BEST TRILOGY/SERIES READ IN ONE FELL SWOOP THIS YEAR: People say Mark Lawrence's RED QUEEN'S WAR is a parallel or companion story to his earlier BROKEN EMPIRE series. I call bullshit on this and say EMPIRE was just a good precursor to WAR, because dear gods i loved this trilogy so so much. Great characters, multiple great fantasy epic moments per book, terrific story running right through with solid pace, fun twists, killer action. Just everything i read fantasy lit for. Sure, much tropes were had, but they were so well handled i didn't care. Jalan was probably one of my favorite pov characters in fantasy in ages. Snorry van Snoggersen put the viking epic in epic fantasy.

Honourable mention to Abercrombie's HALF A KING trilo, which was fun.

BEST GAME CHANGER: Full credit to Charlie Stoss for not being afraid to seriously shake up the world in his LAUNDRY FILES series. THE DELIRIUM BRIEF did that and more.

BEST SHOOT NOW AND HAVE OPINIONS LATER: Nic Smith's HELL DIVERS series. Read bks 1 and 2. Pure candy, cannot overthink, doesn't stand up to any level of thought really, but damn, Smith writes crazy Hollywood level action.

BEST WELL THAT WAS DIFFERENT: Wecker's THE GOLEM AND THE JINNI. A quieter, more human bit of urban fantasy than i usually enjoy, but i think that was likely a good thing. Nicely different.

All told, +/- 37 books this year, not counting comics or short stories. And very little fail in there. Nice!

#54 User is offline   Andorion 

• God

Posted 14 December 2017 - 06:39 PM

View PostAbyss, on 14 December 2017 - 06:01 PM, said:

My turn... always fun to backtrack thru the READING thread to see what the past year threw into the thinkymeatz...

This was a good year for reading. Seriously the hard majority of books i read/listened to were enjoyable. Actual dislikes were minimal and striking for that.

BEST SINGLE BOOK I READ ALL YEAR: This was haaaaaarrddd... most of my favorite authors produced some solid work this year. After much thinkyfying, it came down to three very different books...
Bakker's THE UNHOLY CONSULT... Clines' PARADOX BOUND... and, Esslemont's DEADHOUSE LANDING.

After much (much, so SO much... like almost 45 seconds) soul searching (SO MUCH SOUL SEARCHING) and review (SO MUCH SOUL REVIEW SEARCHIFYING), i have to give this to Bakker by the slightest edge over ICE, and i wavered more than once (do you know how much one can waver in 45 seconds...? A LOT!)... but when all's said and done, CONSULT was the most original, most epic, most filled with HOLY FLYING DRAGONFUCK DID I JUST READ THAT!???? that i read this year in a year with a LOT of great books in it. The fact that it (more or less) ends a series i've been reading for years, in a satisfying yet mostly unexpected way counts for a lot too. The book isn't without its flaws (could we please just have a tiny bit less philosophically laden cannibalistic rapey stuff maybe), but while i loved LOVED DHL, i have to give this to Bakker for giving me a book with a whole lot i had never seen before.

BEST OLD FRIENDS IT WAS GREAT TO SEE AGAIN: It wasn't a bad year for 'next book in a series'es... i got to two books in THE EXPANSE, a whole pile of COSMERE from Sanderson, another PETER GRANT book from Aaronovich, last book in the HEART OF THE WORLD, another solid LAUNDRY FILES book from Stross... but i cannot pretend that anything was as awesome as getting back to Malazanland with DEADHOUSE LANDING. ICE just hit all the right notes with this book, the characters, the action beats, the Malazan history and little story asides and everything else...coming off of DANCER'S LAMENT i was trying not to have overblown expectations, but did, and they were exceeded. Awesome, can't wait for the next book.

BEST WHAT THE FUCK WAS THAT WEIRD FUN BOOK: No contest, THE LIBRARY AT MOUNT CHAR was original, epic, ridiculous, surprising, action-packed and just fun to read. This post pretty much sums it up. With a side of guacamole.

BEST ROCK AND ROLL CONCERT IN BOOK FORM: Nicholas Eames KINGS OF THE WYLD. Brilliant? No. Wildly original? Nope. Novel characters? Far from it. Couldn't put it down? OH HELL YES. A love letter to classic fantasy, and classic rock, in a fast paced utterly entertaining package. Great forum reco.

WORSE THING I READ ALL YEAR: I think i'm in a dysfunctional relationship with Kevin Hearne's Iron Druid series. STAKED... this is the second book in a row where tiny little story beats kept me going through a story was i found was just meh, characters who actually irritated me by about halfway, and an earbook narrator who should probably never be allowed near anyone who isn't a white english speaking human male ever again. A character punching a troll's cock off wasn't enought to save this book.

OTHER BOOKS I DIDN'T LOVE BUT DIDN'T HATE: Skovron's HOPE AND RED, Sanderson's WARBREAKER. I read Warbreaker because coming off a soldi binge of Mistborn/Wax n Wayne and heading into ARCANA, i wanted the complete Cosmere story. So ok, yeah, check, got it. but this ranks down with ELANTRIS for Sanderson work i just barely avoided skimming. HOPE AND RED was a freebie that had a classic fantasy vibe to it that drew my attention but just barely held it. Anyone's guess whether I'll pick up the second book which is already out.

And then there was Leckie's ANCILLARY JUSTICE. Interesting book, but i found the earbook narrator so utterly awful that i couldn't get into it. Not the book's fault tho.

BEST SCIFI: Peter Clines' PARADOX BOUND. Everything i love about this author and so much i didn't know he had in him. Less weird, more 'sf' than his 14/FOLD books, less action than his EX HEROES series, but overall better writing and a fun ntake on time travel that so many authors fail to pull off.

HONOURABLE SF MENTION: The RED RISING trilo by Pierce Brown... tho as the fourth book hits in Feb i guess that's not accurate. Despite a slow star, this series really grew on me, held my attention, and gave some fun spaceship vs spaceship, power armor and lasers action. I didn't read a lot of sf this year, but this nailed the craving nicely. I enjoyed how the scope of the series gradually expanded as it moved forward, and while the protag was never in any real risk of dying, the author was suitably brutal to him and the supporting cast that it maintained a nice 'anything can happen' feel to the story.

BESTEST PRETTY PICTURES: LOCKE & KEY. Thank you forum for nudging me to buy that humble-bundle because this series was such a treat to read beginning to end. I though Joe Hill was a mediocre writer trading on his daddy's rep. I no longer think that. Notwithstanding that i was disappointed with the audiodrama version, am looking fwd to the TV show of this.

BEST NEW AUTHOR: VE Schwab is not technically 'new' but she's new to me, and her SHADES OF MAGIC trilo was a treat to read in one go.

BEST TRILOGY/SERIES READ IN ONE FELL SWOOP THIS YEAR: People say Mark Lawrence's RED QUEEN'S WAR is a parallel or companion story to his earlier BROKEN EMPIRE series. I call bullshit on this and say EMPIRE was just a good precursor to WAR, because dear gods i loved this trilogy so so much. Great characters, multiple great fantasy epic moments per book, terrific story running right through with solid pace, fun twists, killer action. Just everything i read fantasy lit for. Sure, much tropes were had, but they were so well handled i didn't care. Jalan was probably one of my favorite pov characters in fantasy in ages. Snorry van Snoggersen put the viking epic in epic fantasy.

Honourable mention to Abercrombie's HALF A KING trilo, which was fun.

BEST GAME CHANGER: Full credit to Charlie Stoss for not being afraid to seriously shake up the world in his LAUNDRY FILES series. THE DELIRIUM BRIEF did that and more.

BEST SHOOT NOW AND HAVE OPINIONS LATER: Nic Smith's HELL DIVERS series. Read bks 1 and 2. Pure candy, cannot overthink, doesn't stand up to any level of thought really, but damn, Smith writes crazy Hollywood level action.

BEST WELL THAT WAS DIFFERENT: Wecker's THE GOLEM AND THE JINNI. A quieter, more human bit of urban fantasy than i usually enjoy, but i think that was likely a good thing. Nicely different.

All told, +/- 37 books this year, not counting comics or short stories. And very little fail in there. Nice!

Agree entirely about Peter Grant, Mount Char and Charles Stross. Stross really made me sit up and take notice. A breathless book.

Your review of Iron Druid just confirms my impression that the series is going downhill fast. I don't think I will finish it.

I have to disagree about DHL vs Consult. All the originality of Consult is let down by totally unnecessary cannibalistic sex orgy that refused to stop.

#55 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 14 December 2017 - 07:39 PM

View PostAndorion, on 14 December 2017 - 06:39 PM, said:

...I have to disagree about DHL vs Consult. All the originality of Consult is let down by totally unnecessary cannibalistic sex orgy that refused to stop.

That's your prejudice against philosophical cannibal necrophiliac rapists showing.

#56 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 14 December 2017 - 07:42 PM

View PostAbyss, on 14 December 2017 - 07:39 PM, said:

...I have to disagree about DHL vs Consult. All the originality of Consult is let down by totally unnecessary cannibalistic sex orgy that refused to stop.

That's your prejudice against philosophical cannibal necrophiliac rapists showing.

These two posts just prove that I was right to stop reading this series at WARRIOR PROPHET. LOL
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#57 User is offline   Mentalist 

• Martyr of High House Mafia
  • Interests:Soccer, Chess, swimming, books, misc
  • Junior Mafia Mod

Posted 15 December 2017 - 09:45 PM

I'm not sure necrophiliac is the correct term when they're terminally ill but not dead yet.

This post has been edited by Mentalist: 15 December 2017 - 09:46 PM

The problem with the gene pool is that there's no lifeguard
THE CONTESTtm WINNER--чемпіон самоконтролю

View PostJump Around, on 23 October 2011 - 11:04 AM, said:

And I want to state that Ment has out-weaseled me by far in this game.

#58 User is offline   Puck 

• Mausetöter

Posted 15 December 2017 - 11:34 PM

I didn't get around to read much this year, but my favourites for the year are:

Individual books:
1. Too Like the Lightning
2. The Sorcerer of the Wildeeps
3. The Unholy Consult (would be number 1 if not for the obvious filler)

Favourite series: Southern Reach Trilogy

Least liked book: City of Stairs (I know, deal with it)

Honourable mentions:
1. Loyal Enemies (an obscure Russian fantasy book for which there is no translation but which catered perfectly to my sense of humor and had me in stitches from laughter)
2. The Traitor Baru Cormorant (loved the concept, but the execution fell too flat for me for it to be in my fav reads of the year)

This post has been edited by Puck: 15 December 2017 - 11:44 PM

Puck was not birthed, she was cleaved from a lava flow and shaped by a fierce god's hands. - [worry]
Ninja Puck, Ninja Puck, really doesn't give a fuck..? - [King Lear]

#59 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 16 December 2017 - 12:53 AM

View PostMentalist, on 15 December 2017 - 09:45 PM, said:

I'm not sure necrophiliac is the correct term when they're terminally ill but not dead yet.

Given the events in the book it's correct in at least some of the instances. Also, ew.

#60 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 16 December 2017 - 10:52 AM

View PostPuck, on 15 December 2017 - 11:34 PM, said:

Least liked book: City of Stairs (I know, deal with it)

Read it last year.
Same page as you, wasn't much of a fan, didn't bother reading the sequel

This post has been edited by Macros: 16 December 2017 - 10:52 AM

Share this topic:

• 10 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users