Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Suggested Reading Order

#1 User is offline   ForeverTrull 

• Recruit
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 15 December 2016 - 10:32 AM

I've just finished Reaper's Gale (last 20% of the book is probably one of my favourite endings to a book) and am now looking to enjoy the rest of the series. Sadly, I haven't read any of the novellas or Esslemont books up to this point.

So my question: should I continue to read the main series or start reading the other books before continuing? According to the suggested reading order on the wiki, there are 5 such books I have missed out.

I'm certainly looking to read all the novels and novellas at some point, so it makes sense to go back and read them now to enrich my enjoyment of the rest of the series, but I'm perhaps a little apprehensive of confusing myself by going so far back.

Appreciate all and any thoughts. Thanks!

#2 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 15 December 2016 - 10:53 AM

It would help if you linked the suggested reading order from the wikipedia. It sounds like you're referencing a chronological reading order which would spoil the series over all for a new reader.

As far as I recall, before reading Reapers'a Gale the only Esslemont novel you should have read was Night of Knives, since characters from that book appear in Bonehunters.

The next one you should be reading is Return of the Crimson Guard, in between Reapers's Gale and Toll the Hounds, since events from RCG will be spoiled if you read TTH first.

From my recollection the proper reading order is roughly the publishing order with adjustment for delays of a few releases.

SE = Steven Erikson
ICE = Ian Cameron Esslemont

GOTM SE
DG
MOI
HOC
MT

NOK ICE

BH SE
RG SE

RCG ICE

TTH SE

SW ICE

DOD SE
TCG SE

OST ICE

FOD SE

BAB ICE
Assail ICE
DL ICE

Fall of Light SE

There's also the Bauchelain and Korbald Broach novels but none of them tie into the main series events as far as I recall. I've only read the first two.

This post has been edited by Apt: 15 December 2016 - 12:37 PM

#3 User is offline   ForeverTrull 

• Recruit

Posted 15 December 2016 - 11:23 AM

The suggested reading order that I was looking at (the 'ultimate reading order' one): http://malazan.wikia...d_reading_order

Thanks a lot for the helpful reply. The main difference between your order and the one I've linked to is on when to read the Bauchelain and Korbald Broach novels. Considering I'd have to read a number of them, it'll probably be best for me just to leave them to till after the main series.

Do think it's worthwhile me going back to read Night of Knives before continuing with Return of the Crimson Guard, or should I just return to NoK after I've finished the series?

#4 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 15 December 2016 - 11:30 AM

It's worth reading NOK now.

It's one of my favorite books and it's short. It introduces a few characters that become important in later Esslemont books and also sheds some light on a few characters and events going forth.

Temper's scenes alone are worth the read.

#5 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 15 December 2016 - 11:32 AM

View PostForeverTrull, on 15 December 2016 - 11:23 AM, said:

Do think it's worthwhile me going back to read Night of Knives before continuing with Return of the Crimson Guard....

I'd say yes.Your enjoyment of the series won't 'suffer' if you dont, but it's totally worthwhile.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#6 User is offline   ForeverTrull 

• Recruit

Posted 15 December 2016 - 11:54 AM

View PostApt, on 15 December 2016 - 11:30 AM, said:

It's worth reading NOK now.

It's one of my favorite books and it's short. It introduces a few characters that become important in later Esslemont books and also sheds some light on a few characters and events going forth.

Temper's scenes alone are worth the read.

View PostAbyss, on 15 December 2016 - 11:32 AM, said:

View PostForeverTrull, on 15 December 2016 - 11:23 AM, said:

Do think it's worthwhile me going back to read Night of Knives before continuing with Return of the Crimson Guard....

I'd say yes.Your enjoyment of the series won't 'suffer' if you dont, but it's totally worthwhile.

Perfect. Thanks for the help guys, it's greatly appreciated.

#7 User is offline   Gorefest 

• Witness

Posted 15 December 2016 - 12:25 PM

Yeah, NoK is relatively short, so shouldnt keep you back too much, and a few of the characters that get introduced in it will resurface in RotCG. RotCG is definitely a recommended read between RG and TtH. As someone who didnt interject any ICE novels on my first read, I can reliably say that it doesnt greatly affect any enjoyment of the series or cause major confusion, but in retrospect I would have preferred putting at least those two novels into the mix because there are some events and characters in those ICE books that echo into the SE storylines. Plus they are both very enjoyable books in their own right anyway.

This post has been edited by Gorefest: 15 December 2016 - 12:26 PM

Yesterday, upon the stair, I saw a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today. Oh, how I wish he'd go away.

#8 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 15 December 2016 - 12:41 PM

Re the B/KB novellas, they're totally worth reading, but aside from adding to the two characters' story, they don't impact the other books and you can (and should) read them whenever you chose.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#9 User is offline   D'rek 

• Consort of High House Mafia
  • Group: Super Moderators

Posted 15 December 2016 - 03:08 PM

View PostGorefest, on 15 December 2016 - 12:25 PM, said:

RotCG is definitely a recommended read between RG and TtH. As someone who didnt interject any ICE novels on my first read, I can reliably say that it doesnt greatly affect any enjoyment of the series or cause major confusion, but in retrospect I would have preferred putting at least those two novels into the mix because there are some events and characters in those ICE books that echo into the SE storylines. Plus they are both very enjoyable books in their own right anyway.

^^This

Stonewielder, Blood & Bone, Orb Sceptre Throne and Assail can all wait until after the Erikson books if you want, there won't really be any negative repercussions from leaving those until later.

But you should definitely read RotCG in-between Reaper's Gale and Toll the Hounds. And if you're going to read RotCG, it'd be good to read NoK first.

View Postworrywort, on 14 September 2012 - 08:07 PM, said:

I kinda love it when D'rek unleashes her nerd wrath, as I knew she would here. Sorry innocent bystanders, but someone's gotta be the kindling.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users