Malazan Empire: Felisin - Malazan Empire

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Felisin

#1 User is offline   Caira 

• Recruit
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:Fantasy, SF, celtic & instrumental music, nature.

Posted 02 December 2016 - 09:02 PM

I just ended "House of Chains" and I feel a bit... hmm. Disappointed is not exactly the right word. Maybe aggrieved is better.

I mean, Felisin?... Really, I hoped Felisin's end would be different. Not happy, of course, since taking into account her personality, past experiences and being used by the goddess of the Whirlwind, the final outcome couldn't be "living happy ever after", but not like that one. Not with such tragic, bitter-ironic ending, without real confrontation with Tavore, without being able to receive (well deserved and earned) even slightest explanation concerning the past and Tavore's motives.

And, finally, without any atonement from Tavore. I really, really hoped she would discover the identity of sha'ik. Especially after their final encounter. After all the fatal decision she made, in that pitiful attempts to find misinterpreted "golden mean" between the loyalty to Laseen and not hurting Felisin too much (I think "saving" Felisin would be an exaggeration; above all, T. risked her life and she had to know, or at least should have known, that throwing young naive girl into otataral mines wasn't good idea and could result in irreversible harm, even with Baudin's questionable help).

I adore Erikson's writing, for the mixed emotions I end his books with, and for the decisions which left me like this - with a internal desire to protest :( Malazan series is great (at least as far, since this is my first read :p).

Really, I felt less touched with a death of Whiskeyjack. I really liked Felisin's character, she always seemed to me authentically psychologically believable and true.

How did you find this part of the ending?

#2 User is offline   nacht 

• Mortal Sword

Posted 02 December 2016 - 09:17 PM

And Baudin too, a tough fate.

#3 User is offline   Gorefest 

• Witness

Posted 02 December 2016 - 09:20 PM

I completely sympathise, I had similar feelings on my first read. It hurts and it feels unfair and wrong. SE does that to you, and unfortunately for us poor readers he does it expertly. He won't give you what you expect or what you desire, but he will make you feel, whether you like it or not. All I can say is that Felisin's storyline is one of those reasons why this series is so incredibly rewarding on a reread.
Yesterday, upon the stair, I saw a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today. Oh, how I wish he'd go away.

#4 User is offline   Andorion 

• God
  • Interests:All things Malazan, sundry sci-fi and fantasy, history, Iron Maiden

Posted 03 December 2016 - 01:54 AM

Felisin is one of the things that hit me like a gut-punch when I reread the series.

The Whirlwind Goddess releases her hold on Felisin, for the first time weeks she is thinking with clarity, she recognises her sister, and then she dies.

Your point about Tavore not knowing about Felisin is good, but, this little moment will have a lot more resonance later.

Read on

#5 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 05 December 2016 - 07:04 AM

Trust in SE.

SE is good. SE is great.

And he has a plan.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#6 User is offline   TheRetiredBridgeburner 

• House Knight

Posted 19 December 2016 - 07:20 AM

Also felt very unfair on the first read, and was much more emotionally resonant the second time around. Do read on, as Abyss says, there's a plan!
- Wyrd bið ful aræd -

#7 User is offline   Bonehunters 

• Recruit

Posted 03 December 2019 - 09:07 AM

I cried when Tavore killed her had to put it down before finishing the book.

This post has been edited by Bonehunters: 03 December 2019 - 10:32 AM

#8 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 03 December 2019 - 02:59 PM

View PostBonehunters, on 03 December 2019 - 09:07 AM, said:

I cried when Tavore killed her had to put it down before finishing the book.

I had to reread the scene thrice to be sure i hadn't missed something. The way it plays out... the confrontation, the Goddess withdrawing, Tavore striking, Felisin's last thoughts... it hits at gut level. Hard.
...because by that point the reader has been thru SO much with both of these characters, and you know, you KNOW, they cannot possibly have a nice happy huggy reunion, but some little shred of hope remains, and then, and then, and then.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#9 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile
  • Group: Malazan Artist

Posted 03 December 2019 - 04:26 PM

I think because we've seen Felisin change so much over a long journey - and followed through all her trauma, lashing out, eventual acceptance somewhere, and then her acceptance of herself... right THEN is when she gets killed. No words said, no realisation or reunion.

I think SEs training as a short story writer shows here. Although he had an end in mind for the series, and was pacing himself for the long haul, the books are densely filled; Felisins arc is a whole story on it's own, even if it turns out to be one chapter of Tavores.

This post has been edited by Traveller: 03 December 2019 - 04:28 PM

So that's the story. And what was the real lesson? Don't leave things in the fridge.

#10 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile
  • Group: Malazan Artist

Posted 05 December 2019 - 09:52 PM

Hang on, does Felisin die because of the deal Oponn made with Hood back in GotM?

When Paran is killed, he gets stopped at the gate by Oponn, who cuts a deal with Hood/Hoods servant, for his continuing life. 'Someone close to you shall walk through Deaths Gates... in your place.'
'I shall look for another, a death premature. Meaningless, even.'

Does that turn out to be Felisin? I really need a reread.

This post has been edited by Traveller: 05 December 2019 - 09:52 PM

So that's the story. And what was the real lesson? Don't leave things in the fridge.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users