Malazan Empire: Just finished my first read and I have a question - Malazan Empire

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Just finished my first read and I have a question Mael and Gothos

#1 User is offline   Aventinus 

• Dassem's First Sword
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 02 December 2016 - 07:47 PM

During the intro we see Mael asking Gothos to "freeze" the land. This results in the magic system never evolving in Letheras.

My question is: Why? Why did Mael asked Gothos to do this?

"Show me a god that does not demand mortal suffering. Show me a god that celebrates diversity, a celebration that embraces even non-believers, and is not threatened by them. Show me a god that understands the meaning of peace. In life, not in death."

#2 User is offline   Puck 

• Mausetöter

Posted 02 December 2016 - 07:55 PM

Because Gothos was about to weave a Ritual that would have destroyed everything there. Mael, thinking that'd be overkill, asks him to preserve everything instead.
Puck was not birthed, she was cleaved from a lava flow and shaped by a fierce god's hands. - [worry]
Ninja Puck, Ninja Puck, really doesn't give a fuck..? - [King Lear]

#3 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 02 December 2016 - 08:29 PM

Also reflects a difference in nature.
Gothos, a old and bitter Jaghut, was inclined to wipe the slate clean of everything he saw before him... the Andii, Edur, Kchain, all of it.
Mael , an Elder God aspected to the sea, is less absolute, more gradual. Telling Gothos to do nothing wouldn't have worked, but this way there were survivors, who became the Edur tribes and others.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#4 User is offline   Aventinus 

• Dassem's First Sword

Posted 02 December 2016 - 09:58 PM

View PostPuck, on 02 December 2016 - 07:55 PM, said:

Because Gothos was about to weave a Ritual that would have destroyed everything there. Mael, thinking that'd be overkill, asks him to preserve everything instead.

View PostAbyss, on 02 December 2016 - 08:29 PM, said:

Also reflects a difference in nature.
Gothos, a old and bitter Jaghut, was inclined to wipe the slate clean of everything he saw before him... the Andii, Edur, Kchain, all of it.
Mael , an Elder God aspected to the sea, is less absolute, more gradual. Telling Gothos to do nothing wouldn't have worked, but this way there were survivors, who became the Edur tribes and others.

I see. Thank you.

"Show me a god that does not demand mortal suffering. Show me a god that celebrates diversity, a celebration that embraces even non-believers, and is not threatened by them. Show me a god that understands the meaning of peace. In life, not in death."

#5 User is offline   Embrasure of Folly 

• Omtose Redact

Posted 05 December 2016 - 06:21 AM

View PostAbyss, on 02 December 2016 - 08:29 PM, said:

This. Also god***, Gothos is such a bad***.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users