Malazan Empire: Malazan Virtual Advent Calendar up and running! SPOILERS ALL - Malazan Empire

• 8 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Malazan Virtual Advent Calendar up and running! SPOILERS ALL

#61 User is offline   Loki 

• Knight Commander of Team Quick Ben
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • WWQBDFTW?

Posted 07 December 2016 - 08:48 PM

View PostPuck, on 07 December 2016 - 08:14 PM, said:

If you can't be bothered to take it at least seriously enough to play by the rules, why are you participating? Several people have done a bunch of work to make this happen, I don't think everyone realizes how much it takes to get all the people together and set up the site accordingly and the stress it is to make sure to gather enough images. Sure, it's fun, but there's a concept behind it. If you can't wait a couple of days to flaunt your stuff, don't agree to do so.

Coltaine already addressed it. It was a mistake. There was no need to make a bigger thing out of it. Certainly no reason to get so catty about it. She got excited or didn't realise they were suppose to hold off posting before it was up on the advent calendar. But 'flaunting'? No reason to try and make them feel bad/worse about it.

This post has been edited by Loki: 07 December 2016 - 08:58 PM

Wry, on 29 February 2012 - 10:50 AM, said:

And you're not complaining, you're criticizing. It's a side-effect of being better than everyone else, I get it sometimes too.

~TQB~

#62 User is offline   Egwene 

• Emperor
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 07 December 2016 - 09:01 PM

That the image was published early elsewhere was definitely all due to a miss-communication between Coltaine and the artist who had not taken part before. She probably thought that we were putting together a kind of gallery for Advent. We did consider pulling the image but thought that just for the one image it wouldn't matter too much if it had already been seen by a few. Unfortunately, with a project like this which involves so many different people from all over the world, sometimes things get lost in translation. Sorry.

Hope you are all enjoying the show anyway... there is a lot of amazing stuff still to come! One contribution had me in stitches for the best part of an hour - every time I look at it I have to giggle... ah... sorry, can't say anymore... need to know basis only and all that :(

#63 User is offline   PLUGO 

• Lieutenant

Posted 07 December 2016 - 10:36 PM

Wow, there's some truly amazing work on display.

#64 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 07 December 2016 - 10:41 PM

Thank you.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#65 User is offline   Jade Raven 

• Corporal

Posted 08 December 2016 - 12:54 AM

The style of the Topper art is diametrically opposite to the "feel" of the Malazan universe, which was a direct repudiation of 1980s fantasy. Thus my mind doesn't want to accept it. Objectively speaking though the quality of the artwork is high and the attention to getting details accurate commendable, except for the curiously caucasion skin complexion where I would have expected grey, probably not a concious decision though. Instantly recognisable as Topper, so well done.

All these images are coming as surprises to me as well by the way, I'm quite enjoying it.
I am an Admin at the Malazan Wiki. [ malazan.wikia.com ]

#66 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 08 December 2016 - 09:38 AM

I feel like yelling "Get off my lawn!"

This isn't the art forum, whats wrong with just saying, cool picture brah.
These are works put together for a fun Christmas calendar, not works to be put into the next sub press edition.

Today picture is ace in its detail

#67 User is offline   Whisperzzzzzzz 

• Reaper's Fail

Posted 08 December 2016 - 05:47 PM

Moonspawn rising out of the lake is stunning. I want a print for my wall!

#68 User is offline   A Demon Llama! 

• First Sword
  • View gallery

Posted 08 December 2016 - 10:36 PM

View PostWhisperzzzzzzz, on 08 December 2016 - 05:47 PM, said:

That can be arranged if serious. I can send you a file for printing if you wish. Tell me what size you want, as long as it's same width/ height ratio. Also, there's a few things I dont like that I noticed after uploading so I'd fix those as well.
No Touchy.

#69 User is offline   Whisperzzzzzzz 

• Reaper's Fail

Posted 09 December 2016 - 03:28 AM

View PostA Demon Llama!, on 08 December 2016 - 10:36 PM, said:

View PostWhisperzzzzzzz, on 08 December 2016 - 05:47 PM, said:

That can be arranged if serious. I can send you a file for printing if you wish. Tell me what size you want, as long as it's same width/ height ratio. Also, there's a few things I dont like that I noticed after uploading so I'd fix those as well.

I'll get back to you on that once I have some free time. Thanks so much!

#70 User is offline   Hocknose 

• High Fist

Posted 09 December 2016 - 09:35 AM

That picture of Karsa today by Corporal Nobbs is stunning...this is how I will now forever picture Karsa when I read about him.

Really good work. All of the art in the calendar this year has been really really good...

#71 User is offline   Egwene 

• Emperor

Posted 09 December 2016 - 12:15 PM

I find that when I read the books I now imagine the characters like some of the portraits the artists have done. CN's black and white portrait series for many of the Bridgeburners and Bonehunters, Seraph's Tavore, Puck's Apsalar and Coltaine, Dolmen's Masan Ghilani, Yapattack's Bauchelain, Mr. Adam's Fiddler to name but a few - the list goes on and on... blame Paradanmellow that I will forever see Envy knitting!!! We are sooooooooooo lucky to have so many amazing artists amongst the fans :p

You may be surprised at our next artist - hidden talents will be revealed :p

#72 User is offline   Gorefest 

• Witness

Posted 09 December 2016 - 12:43 PM

If it's Worry, I'm not holding my breathPosted Image

Amazing stuff so far though, really enjoying it. The Moon's Spawn Rising image is epic, I can indeed see it as a great wall picture although I'm not sure if missus Gorefest would approve. Tehol and Bugg is fantastic, love the fortuitous wing flap placement. But really all impressive stuff all around. And Korbal Broach's creation is just disturbing ;P

This post has been edited by Gorefest: 09 December 2016 - 12:44 PM

Yesterday, upon the stair, I saw a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today. Oh, how I wish he'd go away.

#73 User is offline   Loki 

• Knight Commander of Team Quick Ben
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • WWQBDFTW?

Posted 10 December 2016 - 08:49 AM

Today's artwork is by far my favourite submission. The attention to detail, the lighting, the way the colours stay within the lines. Absolutely superb.

Wry, on 29 February 2012 - 10:50 AM, said:

And you're not complaining, you're criticizing. It's a side-effect of being better than everyone else, I get it sometimes too.

~TQB~

#74 User is offline   Gorefest 

• Witness

Posted 10 December 2016 - 12:03 PM

I must admit, I am impressed. Such vibrant green. Such a powerful statement. My only slight point of critique would be that it looks more like a frog, whereas Gumble is supposed to be a toad. But that's artistic freedom for you, I guess.
Yesterday, upon the stair, I saw a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today. Oh, how I wish he'd go away.

#75 User is offline   Puck 

• Mausetöter

Posted 10 December 2016 - 02:41 PM

Worry has outdone himself!
Puck was not birthed, she was cleaved from a lava flow and shaped by a fierce god's hands. - [worry]
Ninja Puck, Ninja Puck, really doesn't give a fuck..? - [King Lear]

#76 User is offline   A Demon Llama! 

• First Sword
  • View gallery

Posted 10 December 2016 - 03:55 PM

Truly a work of art. We should just get rid of all the images and just put that one for every single day.
No Touchy.

#77 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 10 December 2016 - 04:07 PM

worry is my hero

#78 User is offline   Egwene 

• Emperor

Posted 10 December 2016 - 08:13 PM

I thought the artist really managed to capture the essence of the critic with those eyes that seem to see right through you - and of course, the fashion - definitely the latest from the catwalks of the best fashion houses in Darujhistan - must have arrived by Trygalle moments before the sitting for this memorable portrait :p

... and I am now convinced that Gorefest is an Adept and in possession of a Deck of Dragons!!!

#79 User is offline   Coltaine - 

• First Sword

Posted 10 December 2016 - 08:40 PM

View PostEgwene, on 10 December 2016 - 08:13 PM, said:

I thought the artist really managed to capture the essence of the critic with those eyes that seem to see right through you - and of course, the fashion - definitely the latest from the catwalks of the best fashion houses in Darujhistan - must have arrived by Trygalle moments before the sitting for this memorable portrait :p

... and I am now convinced that Gorefest is an Adept and in possession of a Deck of Dragons!!!

Shall I tell them that there is also a second version? It may blow some minds. :p

#80 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 10 December 2016 - 09:20 PM

Thanks to all! It was a labor of love.

And thanks for the reminder, Coltaine. There is a Special Double Christmasy Edition. I suppose I can make it a bonus for board-only. I don't know if that breaks the Advent Calendar rules, but the Malazan Empire Forum has been a good boy/girl this year.

Spoiler

They came with white hands and left with red hands.

Share this topic:

• 8 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users