Malazan Empire: On Old Man Moon - Malazan Empire

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

On Old Man Moon As relevant to BaB only (Spoilers from FoD as well)

#1 User is offline   Toc_theyounger 

• Recruit
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 15 November 2016 - 07:12 PM

Saw another thread on Old Man Moon in here, but that was as related to another person in another book.
I'm concerned about just Old Man Moon as he appears in BaB.

I quote:

At that time I moved through darkness without being aware what darkness was – it was all I knew. But then, unbidden, the vision came to me of the moon floating among the stars. Glorious, it seemed to me. A hanging pool of quicksilver. Its light was silvery cool. Magical. I swore then that I had found my essence and I took the moon as my patron. My inspiration. My source

So, is this guy an Ascendant, or does his behavior look more like that of an Azathanai? Or perhaps he falls in another category? Keep in mind, he has healed Hanu from a debilitating head injury.

#2 User is online   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 15 November 2016 - 07:35 PM

I am fairly certain either the Queen of Dreams or somebody else mentions what he is but if I am misremembering that I don't want to out right spoil you.

Suffice to say it might be a Read and Find Out thing:

Forge of Darkness spoiler:

Spoiler

But no matter what he is definitely an Ascendant if we go by the broader definition of the title.

This post has been edited by Apt: 15 November 2016 - 07:35 PM

#3 User is offline   Toc_theyounger 

• Recruit

Posted 16 November 2016 - 09:22 AM

That is I believe the essence of the debate in the other thread. We know that that particular Old Man is an Azathanai, but is he the same as the Old Man Moon in this one? If he isn;t then for sure his behavior does suggest he is at least an ascendant. But that was my question, regarding whether Old Man Moon as he appears in BaB is just an ascendant, or is there another category for his type of people that I'm missing

#4 User is online   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 16 November 2016 - 09:30 AM

I'm not sure why you think the two "Old Men" aren't the same? Their names are similar. Their aspects are similar. The stuff revealed about them are linked. It's a common Malazan story telling structure to introduce a character one place and then flesh them out in another.

Old Man Moon is is an Ascendant and a Azathani. If we go by the broader "powerful beings with influence are called Ascendants" definition then you can say that all Azathanai are Ascendants but all Ascendants are not Azathanai. Similarly all Azathanai that were worshipped are Elder Gods because they were worshipped in the Elder Times. But all Elder Gods are not necessarily Azathanai if they ascended after the Azathanai came out of chaos.

Old Man Moon is an Azathanai and an OG Elder God.

This post has been edited by Apt: 16 November 2016 - 09:32 AM

#5 User is offline   Toc_theyounger 

• Recruit

Posted 17 November 2016 - 07:57 AM

Thanks , that clears it upPosted Image

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users