Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

What did Osserc do?

#1 User is offline   Orsettocattivo 

• Recruit
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 22 October 2016 - 03:37 PM

so, i am not sure i understood what Osserc did. What i think happened is: Kallor tried to suicide by letting the thaumaturgs take the Jade Giants down on him (?), but Osserc stopped the impact by taking it upon himself so Kallor failed?
If that is right, what was the point of leading the Adwami campaign? Vengeance?
Also, does Azathanai mean Ascendant or Elder God?

#2 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 22 October 2016 - 04:35 PM

As far as I recall the entire Adwami campaign was one big faint, it was never meant to succeed or win anything. But my memory is hazy so don't take that as gospel.

Azathanai is a term that in later books has replaced the term Elder God from the earlier books. More specifically there may be an important distinction between and Azathanai Elder God and a vanilla Elder God.

Some light lore spoilers from Forge of Darkness:

Spoiler

However there are other beings we describe as Elder Gods that might not be Azathanai. Elder God in terms of the pantheons ancestry may simply refer to gods who were around in the Elder Times. The time of the holds when the warrens wandered. Before Kallor burned a continent and K'rul made a whole new magic system.

#3 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer
  • Interests:Football

Posted 22 October 2016 - 04:39 PM

Fall of Light:
Spoiler

Trouble arrives when the opponents to such a system institute its extreme opposite, where individualism becomes godlike and sacrosanct, and no greater service to any other ideal (including community) is possible. In such a system rapacious greed thrives behind the guise of freedom, and the worst aspects of human nature come to the fore....

#4 User is offline   Orsettocattivo 

• Recruit

Posted 22 October 2016 - 04:44 PM

Ugh. Haven't read Fod and fall of light so i am not openingh those spoilers. I guess it's RAFO.
I'll read Assail then i'll start them

#5 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer
  • Interests:Football

Posted 22 October 2016 - 04:48 PM

Osserc basically went and flew into those things as far as I can remember. So he destructed them himself, as for Kallor, I don't know what his deal was other than just wanting revenge against those guys.
Trouble arrives when the opponents to such a system institute its extreme opposite, where individualism becomes godlike and sacrosanct, and no greater service to any other ideal (including community) is possible. In such a system rapacious greed thrives behind the guise of freedom, and the worst aspects of human nature come to the fore....

#6 User is offline   Orsettocattivo 

• Recruit

Posted 22 October 2016 - 07:23 PM

HoosierDaddy said:

1477154888[/url]' post='1257049']
Osserc basically went and flew into those things as far as I can remember. So he destructed them himself, as for Kallor, I don't know what his deal was other than just wanting revenge against those guys.

Kallor story is so confusing. He goes ln a campaign with the adwami then starts riding incredibly fast (jatal has to push hard to reach him) and he is found bloodied in a crater

#7 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 22 October 2016 - 08:53 PM

Osserc doesn't just put himself in the way of the impact, he also destroys the Temple of Light that the Circle of Masters had activated.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#8 User is offline   Orsettocattivo 

• Recruit

Posted 22 October 2016 - 09:01 PM

worry said:

1477169635[/url]' post='1257081']
Osserc doesn't just put himself in the way of the impact, he also destroys the Temple of Light that the Circle of Masters had activated.

So...what did Saeng do? Did she just take the power ?

#9 User is offline   nacht 

• Mortal Sword

Posted 23 October 2016 - 01:12 AM

I just reread the book and it is still not entirely clear to me, but this is what I think happened.

As far as I know Kallor was just seeking to bash up the thaumaturgs. He never indicated any suicide motive for this campaign. He actually ran away from Anditi pura once he noticed that something was chasing him.
The thaumaturgs started a ritual that was bringing down the jade statutes to get rid of Kallor. After thinking about this, I dont think they were stupid enough to bring down the statue to destroy Kallor. It is possible they were trying to harness the power of the ritual and a side effect of it might be to bring down the statute (or at least accelerate the process)

Osserc stopped at least one of the statutes and broke it into smaller pieces.
Saeng and Ponlor stopped the ritual by getting rid of several thaumaturgs and Saeng might have stepped into the light and stopped the beacon (figuratively) which could have attracted even more jade statues.

#10 User is offline   korik 

• Corporal

Posted 24 October 2016 - 04:19 PM

I must admit that I haven't read this book for a while but my memory was that Kallor was trying to cheat his curse and ascend. We know from Baruk that "there are many paths to ascendancy" and dying is one of them. I figured that that dying in this momentus way would have caused him to ascend, but the actions of Osserc and Saeng prevented this...

#11 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 24 October 2016 - 07:11 PM

I dunno. I think it's pretty explicit from Kallor's own words at the end that he was trying to kill himself. He failed in TTH to get the Throne of Chains, but once Dragnipur is shattered he knows that his curses are all done, so he figures he'd give death a shot. When that doesn't pan out, he gives bitter mercy to the similarly suicidal Jatal in front of a horrified Scarza, then decides on his next course of action (hunting Drac).
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users