Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Malazan, the setting

#1 User is offline   Lacajenne 

• Recruit
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 19 October 2016 - 07:20 PM

I tend to imagine the Malazan Empire as similar to the Roman Empire. Does that make sense? I mean, the whole setting: cities, clothing, architecture, art and so on...

#2 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 19 October 2016 - 08:07 PM

Yes and no. We're in the GOTM forums so I don't want to spill the beans on info from later books but the Empire spans 3 continents and there are a lot of different cultures and peoples that have been absorbed by the empire.

In terms of "European" influence I'd argue that a lot of the Empire, namely Genebackis and Quon Tali are more like Europe in the era between 1000-1500 AD, maybe even later eras since there are flavors of enlightenment and early industrialization in some areas. The free Cities of Genebackis are of course similar to Italy's city states and there are ideas of colonialism emerging.

But other parts of the empire seems distinctly Asian, like for example the Napans, while others seem like Central Africa, with people like the Dal Hon obviously being black versions of Africans.

#3 User is offline   Lacajenne 

• Recruit

Posted 19 October 2016 - 08:19 PM

That sounds quite interesting! I am even more curious, now :-)

#4 User is offline   Gorefest 

• Witness

Posted 19 October 2016 - 11:19 PM

Yeah, as Apt says it is not a straight forward mapping, but to an extent the comparison is fair. There is quite a big vibe of:

"But apart from better sanitation and medicine and education and irrigation and public health and roads and a freshwater system and baths and public order, what have the Malazans ever done for us?"

"Brought peace."

"What?! Oh, peace... yes... shut up!"

This post has been edited by Gorefest: 19 October 2016 - 11:19 PM

Yesterday, upon the stair, I saw a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today. Oh, how I wish he'd go away.

#5 User is offline   Lacajenne 

• Recruit

Posted 20 October 2016 - 05:13 AM

Well, Malazans do not often look on the bright side... Posted Image

Gorefest, on 19 October 2016 - 11:19 PM, said:

Yeah, as Apt says it is not a straight forward mapping, but to an extent the comparison is fair. There is quite a big vibe of:

"But apart from better sanitation and medicine and education and irrigation and public health and roads and a freshwater system and baths and public order, what have the Malazans ever done for us?"

"Brought peace."

"What?! Oh, peace... yes... shut up!"

#6 User is offline   Kanese S's 

• TMI Frigate Bird of Low House PEN
  • Group: Mott Irregulars

Posted 09 March 2017 - 08:12 AM

Lacajenne, on 19 October 2016 - 07:20 PM, said:

I tend to imagine the Malazan Empire as similar to the Roman Empire. Does that make sense? I mean, the whole setting: cities, clothing, architecture, art and so on...

I see it as more similar to Persia or Imperial China. But that's a valid comparison.
Laseen did nothing wrong.

I demand Telorast & Curdle plushies.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users