• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

WHO'S IN CHARGE HERE?

#21 User is offline   D'rek 

• Consort of High House Mafia
  • Group: Super Moderators

Posted 20 October 2016 - 03:45 PM

View PostMalaclypse, on 17 October 2016 - 08:16 AM, said:

I really feel that this is so important that it's the only thing I'm going to address right now. Malazanempire is an obnoxious tyranny right now, though it pains me to say it. WTF Silencer?

Uhhh... wasn't it you and Hetan who coined the phrase "these forums aren't a democracy, they're a [benevolent] tyranny" ? (A phrase that was frequently used in all manner of admin/mod decisions over the years)

View PostAbyss, on 17 October 2016 - 08:53 PM, said:

WHO IS IN CHARGE HERE?

I am.

But you knew that already Mal, since you gave me the job. Didn't even ask me... I just logged in one day and hey, admin powers, cool. You even asked me to be the final word on conflicts between admins/mods. ...A thing I've only ever had to do against you, btw.

Anyone want to help me write a Malazan-admin-X-LotR fanfic?

Anomander Rake1 = Isildor
Hetan/Mal = Arnor and Anárion
Abyss = Denethor
Silencer = Aragorn
Jen'isand = Legolas
Rodeoranch = Gimli!!!

or something

View Postworrywort, on 14 September 2012 - 08:07 PM, said:

I kinda love it when D'rek unleashes her nerd wrath, as I knew she would here. Sorry innocent bystanders, but someone's gotta be the kindling.

#22 User is offline   bubba 

• High Marshall
  • View gallery
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:5.3%
  • Kill all the golfers...

Posted 20 October 2016 - 08:09 PM

View PostD, on 20 October 2016 - 03:45 PM, said:

I really feel that this is so important that it's the only thing I'm going to address right now. Malazanempire is an obnoxious tyranny right now, though it pains me to say it. WTF Silencer?

Uhhh... wasn't it you and Hetan who coined the phrase "these forums aren't a democracy, they're a [benevolent] tyranny" ? (A phrase that was frequently used in all manner of admin/mod decisions over the years)

WHO IS IN CHARGE HERE?

I am.

But you knew that already Mal, since you gave me the job. Didn't even ask me... I just logged in one day and hey, admin powers, cool. You even asked me to be the final word on conflicts between admins/mods. ...A thing I've only ever had to do against you, btw.

Abyss = Denethor
Silencer = Aragorn
Jen'isand = Legolas
Rodeoranch = Gimli!!!

or something

Bubba=Sir Not appearing in this film

#23 User is offline   Slow Ben 

• Ranger
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 20 October 2016 - 08:23 PM

View PostBubba, on 20 October 2016 - 08:09 PM, said:

WHO IS IN CHARGE HERE?

I am.

Abyss = Denethor
Silencer = Aragorn
Jen'isand = Legolas
Rodeoranch = Gimli!!!

or something

Soooo...Tom Bombadil?
I've always been crazy but its kept me from going insane.

#24 User is offline   Vengeance 

• High Priest of Shinrei Love and Worship
  • very good...;)

Posted 21 October 2016 - 01:24 PM

WHO IS IN CHARGE HERE?

I am.

Abyss = Denethor
Silencer = Aragorn
Jen'isand = Legolas
Rodeoranch = Gimli!!!

or something

Vengeance - Hoping to be a main character that nobody had previously heard of in the sequal.
How many fucking people do I have to hammer in order to get that across.
Hinter - Vengy - DIE. I trusted you you bastard!!!!!!!

Steven Erikson made drowning in alien cum possible - Obdigore

#25 User is offline   Whisperzzzzzzz 

• Reaper's Fail

Posted 21 October 2016 - 01:35 PM

View PostSlow Ben, on 20 October 2016 - 08:23 PM, said:

WHO IS IN CHARGE HERE?

I am.

Abyss = Denethor
Silencer = Aragorn
Jen'isand = Legolas
Rodeoranch = Gimli!!!

or something

Soooo...Tom Bombadil?

Tom Bubbadil!

#26 User is offline   Gorefest 

• Witness

Posted 21 October 2016 - 03:38 PM

*shudders*
Yesterday, upon the stair, I saw a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today. Oh, how I wish he'd go away.

#27 User is offline   Malaclypse 

• Banned User
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Banned Users

Posted 31 October 2016 - 02:23 AM

WHO IS IN CHARGE HERE?

I am.

But the important part Mal... The importantest part and the reason I feel no conflict whatsoever in seeing your posts ninja'd... is that the one rule I have always stood by, the one thing (other than no spoilers in wrong places) i actually give a crap about in this space you so kindly created and handed to me is very simple: 'be nice'. You seem to have a problem with that, and when you stopped being nice, you gave up any right to be protected and respected and treated the same as everyone else here.

please spare me this kind of thinking. WTF are you even talking about? I never asked you or directed you to be nice to anybody. Fuck being nice - some, no, a LOT of people are dumb as rocks and need to be put in their place so that the adults can solve the problems. I don't regret putting you in charge - I wanted a free forum in which anybody could say anything and have a scrap if they wanted one. It's unfortunate that you turned out to be such a twat but it doesn't harm my vision necessarily - your strategy results in a tumultuous public that is used to having their way. What happens when they don't get their way? As if 'being nice' was something worth seeking...grow up ffs

ETA: OK I realize I'm pissing in the wind. Fair enough and fuck all of you. The only reason I haunt this place is to make contact with people I already know and for those people, contact me at william.logan.hunter"gmail.com. I'm fucking ashamed at what this place has become - it makes me sick to witness it and so I won't trouble you losers any further.

Now if you'll excuse me, I have goats to lick as I weep softly to myself and try to drag together the thin shreds of my self respect. Waaaaaahhhh.... I'm so lonely.

#28 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 31 October 2016 - 03:23 AM

Soooo.... same time next year?
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#29 User is offline   bubba 

• High Marshall
  • View gallery
  • Interests:5.3%
  • Kill all the golfers...

Posted 31 October 2016 - 10:02 AM

What a twat....Posted Image

#30 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 31 October 2016 - 10:24 AM

#31 User is offline   Gorefest 

• Witness

Posted 31 October 2016 - 12:02 PM

Wow. Is that what a breakdown looks like, dad?
Yesterday, upon the stair, I saw a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today. Oh, how I wish he'd go away.

#32 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile
  • Group: Malazan Artist

Posted 31 October 2016 - 12:43 PM

I'm afraid so *nods sagely*

Let's hope that's all for now.
So that's the story. And what was the real lesson? Don't leave things in the fridge.

#33 User is offline   D'rek 

Posted 31 October 2016 - 03:03 PM

View PostMalaclypse, on 31 October 2016 - 02:23 AM, said:

I don't regret putting you in charge - I wanted a free forum in which anybody could say anything and have a scrap if they wanted one.

Ah, yes, just like when some members decided to "say anything" and "have a scrap" in the Naina thread and Mal went ballistic, making a huge rant going all "how dare you do this, you're ruining the forum", getting posts deleted, etc. Sure was a "free forum".

Personally, I think there was indeed some deplorable behaviour in that thread and then the spin-off threads, and personally I am glad it was not treated as a "free forum" at all. But by its very existence (and other incidents like it) I think it is hard to argue this was ever a "free forum", except maybe in the Rake days.

Heck, if you wanted a "free forum" like you describe, why would you have let Rodeo write all the stuff outlawing personal attacks and scrappy behaviour in the Code of Conduct in the first place?

View PostAbyss, on 31 October 2016 - 03:23 AM, said:

Can we start a betting pool? I'll put 13 sharpers on February 2018!

View PostGorefest, on 31 October 2016 - 12:02 PM, said:

Well, son, it's either that or a prelude to the majestic mating ritual of the southwestern pacific drama llama.

I kinda love it when D'rek unleashes her nerd wrath, as I knew she would here. Sorry innocent bystanders, but someone's gotta be the kindling.

#34 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 31 October 2016 - 03:09 PM

I've always looked at the changes in the forum over the years I've been here as a shaping of rough clay into something resembling a neighbourhood of sorts where....barring small flareups....we generally get along. I don't understand what's wrong with that, or why Señor Old Timer has an issue with it. I'd never want it to change.

I think the admins and mods all do a wonderful job of keeping that neighbourhood vibe...and again I see zero issue with it. Why does Mal want it to be the wild west?

Also, "some people are dumb and need to be put in their place"...sounds awfully despotic to me.

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 31 October 2016 - 03:10 PM

"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#35 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 31 October 2016 - 03:36 PM

View PostD, on 31 October 2016 - 03:03 PM, said:

View PostMalaclypse, on 31 October 2016 - 02:23 AM, said:

I don't regret putting you in charge - I wanted a free forum in which anybody could say anything and have a scrap if they wanted one.

Ah, yes, just like when some members decided to "say anything" and "have a scrap" in the Naina thread and Mal went ballistic, making a huge rant going all "how dare you do this, you're ruining the forum", getting posts deleted, etc. Sure was a "free forum".

What is this Naina thread you're talking about?

View PostAbyss, on 31 October 2016 - 03:23 AM, said:

Can we start a betting pool? I'll put 13 sharpers on February 2018!

I'd give it 2 weeks max.

View PostGorefest, on 31 October 2016 - 12:02 PM, said:

Well, son, it's either that or a prelude to the majestic mating ritual of the southwestern pacific drama llama.

In all seriousness, and I don't care if Mal takes offense about this, I am worried about the guy.

Mals first post in ages was about him being prescribed crazy pills, and later I brought the issue up in the chat forum one time, but he blew me off. Everything Mal has been doing and saying the past couple of months looks like some kind of mania or bipolar issue to me. Completely irrational behaviour and a distorted view of everything surrounding the man.

I hope he eats those pills and gets his shit together.

#36 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 31 October 2016 - 06:02 PM

View PostApt, on 31 October 2016 - 03:36 PM, said:

Do you remember the Indian fan who came on here and was really enthusiastic? Her nom de plume was Naina. She was/is pretty awesome and unfortunately, when she was really new, she did something out of pure newbieness that caused a few people to jump all over her in a really mean way. Erikson himself got ticked off over it and rightly so. I think she's mostly a Twitter user now.

Mals first post in ages was about him being prescribed crazy pills, and later I brought the issue up in the chat forum one time, but he blew me off. Everything Mal has been doing and saying the past couple of months looks like some kind of mania or bipolar issue to me. Completely irrational behaviour and a distorted view of everything surrounding the man.

Do not call these medications "crazy pills". This specific use of language is not good to do in this specific situation. It hurts, it belittles, and it makes you sound like the arbiter of what is "crazy" and what is "not crazy". Mal does not have to talk to you - he can avoid the topic as he likes or talk to whomever he pleases. I would certainly avoid anyone who called what I or someone else go through "crazy" without a lot of friendship history behind that talk.

As for his words on what he's going through, he was initially upfront about what he was going through, but as I've noted elsewhere, it's an ever shifting game with only him knowing the rules and only him getting any level of satisfaction from it. It's really hard for me to deal with and I think it's the same for other people - especially since most of us are not personal friends of his, none of us are family, and nobody's being paid to do this. I don't think it's particularly healthy to do the things he's been going on here about and would really prefer that he go do it elsewhere for a while.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#37 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 31 October 2016 - 06:38 PM

View Postamphibian, on 31 October 2016 - 06:02 PM, said:

Do not call these medications "crazy pills". This specific use of language is not good to do in this specific situation. It hurts, it belittles, and it makes you sound like the arbiter of what is "crazy" and what is "not crazy". Mal does not have to talk to you - he can avoid the topic as he likes or talk to whomever he pleases. I would certainly avoid anyone who called what I or someone else go through "crazy" without a lot of friendship history behind that talk.

As for his words on what he's going through, he was initially upfront about what he was going through, but as I've noted elsewhere, it's an ever shifting game with only him knowing the rules and only him getting any level of satisfaction from it. It's really hard for me to deal with and I think it's the same for other people - especially since most of us are not personal friends of his, none of us are family, and nobody's being paid to do this. I don't think it's particularly healthy to do the things he's been going on here about and would really prefer that he go do it elsewhere for a while.

You know I actually agree with you about the use of the term "crazy pills" but I was quoting Mals own words.

This post has been edited by Apt: 31 October 2016 - 06:48 PM

#38 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 31 October 2016 - 06:41 PM

Oh wow. That's not a good place to be in for Mal to use those words, but he's allowed to self-referent since it's him.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#39 User is offline   D'rek 

Posted 31 October 2016 - 09:39 PM

View Postamphibian, on 31 October 2016 - 06:02 PM, said:

Do you remember the Indian fan who came on here and was really enthusiastic? Her nom de plume was Naina. She was/is pretty awesome and unfortunately, when she was really new, she did something out of pure newbieness that caused a few people to jump all over her in a really mean way. Erikson himself got ticked off over it and rightly so. I think she's mostly a Twitter user now.

As Amph says, new member named Naina joined up and made some sort of whoopsy (I forget what). Worth noting that IIRC there was lots of members who were purely welcoming. But there was also some very dumbass comments and even a bordering-on-racism one. (Not exactly our finest hour...)

Mal then made a big long "debate" thread about the forum and users needing to be more welcoming and civil to new members. Called out certain members directly, so of course they showed up to argue back. Debate/rant turned into very heated argument. Parts of the argument spun out into various different rants about cliqueyness in the forum, too. Something something eurocentrism something something Westeros something something external perceptions something.

Cougar deletes a bunch of posts, then people got mad about posts being deleted... I think he ended up just nuking the whole thread in the end. The drama kept going though, as some people were upset with the drastic deleting, and that spiralled into more drama (I don't remember if this is exactly when Frook left, but if not it was almost certainly a factor) and so on.

Admins reconvene, pronouncements are made on high to "be nice", Naina probably never returns, and the forum goes on... hopefully better. Lisheo shows up 3 months later and says "Oh, sorry I wasn't around to help." then promptly disappears again until the next solar eclipse.

Late 2009, IIRC.

#40 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 01 November 2016 - 07:22 AM

Ah yeah, that's the one big event that happened where I wasn't around to actually see it happen. I think I was in the middle of a move and didn't have internet at the time.

Share this topic:

• 4 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users