Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Going all in…

#1 User is offline   frozenfish 

• Recruit
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 13 October 2016 - 05:56 PM

I wanted to introduce myself to what appears to be a greatcommunity. I am doing something that I have never done before. Join a groupdedicated to a specific series. But I get the sense to fully appreciate theawesomeness of this series it is a must.

Ok so a little back story on me. I would say I am fairly newto the fantasy genre as I just recently started reading fantasy. Tend to read alittle bit of everything (Sci-Fi, Post-Apoc, Thriller/Spy Thriller, anythingthat sounds interesting). I'm also the "got into fantasy because of the Game ofThrones TV show" person. But have played games and liked Skyrim/Morrowind in thepast. I have read ASOIAF up to "A Dance with Dragons", and just finished JoeAbercrombie's "First Law Trilogy". Both of which I really enjoyed. Would alsoinclude Harry Potter (still reading through at the ripe old age of 31). All-timemost favorite series I've read so far are "The Dark Tower" series by Stephen King, "The Expanse" series by James S. A. Corey, and "Mitch Rapp" series by Vince Flynn.

My questions are. Would I enjoy this series as the first entryinto Epic Fantasy? Or would I be lost with the magic system, and other fantasytropes? I am looking for an epic series to fall in love with. Would also like aseries where everything is not clear cut, and makes me think. Also wouldeveryone recommend reading the 10 books in the series before starting on theother books tied to this world? Or follow the Ultimate reading order offGoodreads mixing the books together? Would like to know what people have found to be the most enjoyable.

Thank you for your time. Hopefully I will get to knoweveryone better as I begin this journey.

#2 User is offline   Itwęs Nom 

• Inquisitor of High House Mafia
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 13 October 2016 - 06:13 PM

Welcome

About the reading order, Spoiler-free Read Order Thread, including a graph

Based on your requirements MBotF fits perfectly, you should totally go in. Very little is clear cut and there is a lot lot things to think about, that's why this forum is here in the first place. You will probably feel (decreasingly) lost on your first readthrough though, as almost everyone does, don't worry about that much.

This post has been edited by Itwęs Nom: 13 October 2016 - 06:13 PM

All things fall from kings to rose petals

#3 User is offline   Dadding 

• Shaved Knuckle in the Hole

Posted 13 October 2016 - 06:33 PM

Just finished the first book in The Dark Tower series today, and I liked it a lot. I also like Malazan a lot. Therefore, all people who like one series like the other. Logic. n=1

I'd say you're making the right choice.

#4 User is offline   Kruppe of Darujhistan 

• Justly Vilified
  • Cheating Hood since 1955

Posted 13 October 2016 - 06:41 PM

We're all lost as far as the magic system goes, so don't fret there. :p And the Fantasy tropes are mostly turned upside-down and inside-out in the Malazan World, so the fewer expectations you have in that regard, the better. Welcome!
What is not forbidden is mandatory.

#5 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 13 October 2016 - 06:43 PM

Go for it. You won't be sorry (book pun intended... hee...).
Just don't feel like you need to understand 'everything'. The magic systems, the histories, the shifting allegiances.... They're complicated for very good reasons.
Watch out for spoilers and feel free to start your own thread with questions and theories in each book forum as you go.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#6 User is offline   Coltaine - 

• First Sword

Posted 13 October 2016 - 06:55 PM

Welcome frozenfish :p

I agree with Nom that you will feel lost at the beginning, as you are thrown in at the deep end. Nothing to worry about with our support.

About the reading order:
Start with the first books of the MBotF. Until you have finished Book 5 Midnight Tides it isn't really necessary to read one of Esslemonts books. Aside from the first one they also contain spoilers for the books 1-6. Okay, mostly book six.

#7 User is offline   Hairshirt 

• Lieutenant

Posted 13 October 2016 - 08:06 PM

It would be great to have a new readers perspective as you make your way through the series. It would be a cool thread to follow along your journey through Malazan if you were up for it.

Also, avoid Google. The Auto complete search has punched many readers in the face with spoilers.

I tried Dark tower and it didn't work for me, should I have kept reading? I couldn't get past the first book.

#8 User is offline   frozenfish 

• Recruit

Posted 14 October 2016 - 12:00 PM

Thanks for the feedback. Will definitely start with Gardens of the Moon… As soon as I finish the books I'm currently reading. Planning to start in the next week or two.

I have read a few beginners guides (Tor) to see if I might like this series. But going in cold I couldn't tell someone the plot of this series.

As for the Dark Tower, it gets a lot better after the first book. I really like books 2/3 of the series. It's a mashup of several genres(Western, Sci-Fi, Fantasy, and Horror) all in a Post-Apocalyptic setting. And has my all-time favorite character Eddie Dean. I would say if you like King's style and stories. This series is a must. As it ties in/weaves into several of his other books. A lot of people don't like how it ended. But I couldn't see how it could have ended any other way.

One last question. I received a free Kindle copy from Tor for Gardens of the Moon. But are these books better to read in a paper format? I flip flop between my Kindle and paperbacks (liking both equally). Just want the best reading experience.

This post has been edited by frozenfish: 14 October 2016 - 12:03 PM

#9 User is offline   Andorion 

• God
  • Interests:All things Malazan, sundry sci-fi and fantasy, history, Iron Maiden

Posted 14 October 2016 - 12:23 PM

View Postfrozenfish, on 14 October 2016 - 12:00 PM, said:

Thanks for the feedback. Will definitely start with Gardens of the Moon… As soon as I finish the books I'm currently reading. Planning to start in the next week or two.

I have read a few beginners guides (Tor) to see if I might like this series. But going in cold I couldn't tell someone the plot of this series.

As for the Dark Tower, it gets a lot better after the first book. I really like books 2/3 of the series. It's a mashup of several genres(Western, Sci-Fi, Fantasy, and Horror) all in a Post-Apocalyptic setting. And has my all-time favorite character Eddie Dean. I would say if you like King's style and stories. This series is a must. As it ties in/weaves into several of his other books. A lot of people don't like how it ended. But I couldn't see how it could have ended any other way.

One last question. I received a free Kindle copy from Tor for Gardens of the Moon. But are these books better to read in a paper format? I flip flop between my Kindle and paperbacks (liking both equally). Just want the best reading experience.

To be fair I don't think I could explain the entire plot of the series to a non-reader. Its huge and complex. I would say your relative inexperience in the genre might actually help, as old readers tend to have entrenched expectations that the author loves to subvert. I first read the series when I was a relative newbie as well.

I have read the books in both paper and eversions, and this is totally upto individual preference. Given the size of the books, eversions are easier to manage, plus you can use the dictionary and stuff.

Also basic new reader tips:

Do Not expect to understand everything that is going on. The author is throwing you into a story in progress.

Pay Attention to everything. There are tons of foreshadowing.

Do Not Google anything. Just don't. You will be spoiled. Guaranteed.

If you have any questions, post here in the appropriate book forums.

If you want to see fanart, visit the Spoiler free Art galleries. They are ordered by book, a book gallery is spoiler safe for you once you finish that book.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users