Malazan Empire: Just finished Gardens of the Moon! [Spoilers] - Malazan Empire

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Just finished Gardens of the Moon! [Spoilers] ...and i have a few questions and my opinions.

#1 User is offline   Mykar Blackheart 

• Recruit
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 10 October 2016 - 03:32 AM

This may be long, so i apologize in advance and will contain spoilers.

So, i've just finished the first book and i can certainly say i enjoyed myself. So i'll list what i loved, what i hated and then questions.

Loved:
1) Anomander Rake: Awesome guy, super badass. He is now one of my favorite fictional characters.
2) The magic system. i'm no warren expert but i love the way its unique, mysterious, and powerful.
3) The description of power. Whether its a character in the vicinity of two giants clashing or if its just magic flowing through someone. The description is makes it feel so real and amazing.
4) The Apsalar/Sorry plot-line. I started out just being annoyed by her but i've grown to like the characters story.
5) Even though we only caught a glimpse of the crimson guard. They seem like interesting people and i cant wait to read more about them.
6) That first chapter about the Tyrant...the one that ended in "The Jaghut Tyrant walked into the light" was f@#king beautiful and poetic. My favorite from the book. He felt like a true villain.

Hated:
1) The Tattersail and Ganoes romance. felt rushed and fake. (This is why i dont normally enjoy romance novels. It feel like this most of the time.)
2) The Tyrant felt so imposing and scary. I felt so cheated when i didnt get to see him at full power battling Anomander.
3) This might just be my copy of the book, but sometimes the name is spelled "Coll" and sometimes "Coil"
4) I was really hoping to see an epic clash or a massive final battle but i never really got it. I seriously hope this isnt the case for the rest of the series.
5) To be honest, i wasn't really emotionally invested in any of the characters. I was intrigued though. But i desperately want to be attached and to have my heart strings pulled at.
6) Ganoes. I really hated this character, i know he's important but i just didn't like him. He just always seems like the guy that's always around when cool shit is happening, but he'snot really a part of it.
7) I'm getting the feeling that we are supposed to at least kinda like the Bridgeburners, but they felt kinda dull to me. I expected more from them.

Questions:
1) Please don't laugh but i highly suspect that the Jaghut Tyrant may have just been possessed by another being or force. The Jaghut just doesn't seem like crazy warlike beings. was it a possession?
2) Sorry/Apsalar seems to have retained every skill The Rope used while possessing her, Did she? or just traces ?
3) I notice that the author says House of Paran when talking about noble houses, but says things like High House Death, when talking abut gods and warrens and all that. Does it mean that the High Houses are basically organizations of powerful gods, ascendants and mages ruling over a particular warren?
4) Kruppe speaks in the third person. Is this because he's not really Kruppe but The Eel? its like he's talking about someone else when he says "Kruppe"

I have way more likes, dislikes and things to say (such a grand book) but i will stop here for now.

Really looking forward to Deadhouse Gates, i hear its amazing.

This post has been edited by Mykar Blackheart: 10 October 2016 - 03:45 AM

#2 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 10 October 2016 - 04:13 AM

For your Hateds #s 4, 5, and even 6: the next two books are gonna prove to you once and for all what SE can make you feel.

Questions 1 & 2: Read and find out, these topics get elaborated on enough that you'll know one way or the other.
3: The High Houses have more to do with the Deck of Dragons -- you'll get plenty of info on that along the way too -- but this early think of it more like Tarot cards with relationships to each other and sometimes relationships to real beings/influencers in the world. The noble family houses are just normal noble houses.
4: Nah, he's really Kruppe. And really the Eel. And really somethin'!
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#3 User is offline   Coltaine - 

• First Sword

Posted 10 October 2016 - 06:12 AM

L5: You will read more about the guard. They appear in several other malazan books. Like Return of the Crimson Guard by Esslemont.

H3: Funfact: There is actually a minor character named Coil in one book.

And I agree with worry. More explanations. Check. Epic battles. Check. Heart strings pulled out. A lot.

#4 User is offline   Garak 

• Emperor
  • Interests:40k, Star Wars, Babylon 5, WW2, A Song of Ice and Fire, the Drenai series, the Riftwar and all that followed it, D&D, Vikings, the Malazan Book of the Fallen. I think you get the gist of it.

Posted 10 October 2016 - 07:57 AM

Yeah, if you want to see massive battles, don't worry this series has you covered. I think Gardens is the only one without large army clashes. I'm really curious what you'll make of Deadhouse Gates.
The meaning of life is BOOM!!!

#5 User is offline   Mykar Blackheart 

• Recruit

Posted 10 October 2016 - 11:53 AM

The support on this forum has been amazing. Thanks again guys.

As to major battles and epic clashes: Based on the Jaghut Tyrant, i know SE can write good villains. And i know he has the potential to do awesome one on one fights between two badass warriors. So i'm looking forward to it.

Heart Strings: I've heard a couple times that people have cried throughout the series, because of how connected they have become to characters. Once again, i cant wait.

Long before i knew what Malazan was (i was reading ASOIAF) i heard people say this character named Felisin in Deadhouse Gates has some similarities with Danaerys (Who is also a fave of mine), i dont know what they meant but i will be finding out soon enough.

#6 User is offline   Garak 

• Emperor
  • Interests:40k, Star Wars, Babylon 5, WW2, A Song of Ice and Fire, the Drenai series, the Riftwar and all that followed it, D&D, Vikings, the Malazan Book of the Fallen. I think you get the gist of it.

Posted 10 October 2016 - 12:53 PM

Personally I wouldn't compare the two. At all.
The meaning of life is BOOM!!!

#7 User is offline   Coltaine - 

• First Sword

Posted 10 October 2016 - 04:50 PM

I also can't see a lot of similarities between them.

Felisin got actually mentioned several times in GotM as well. Check the name under the poem in the prologue and the end of chapter one. One reason why I love these books :p

#8 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 10 October 2016 - 08:26 PM

I can see the comparison, but it's best not to get into it yet. Maybe after DG.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#9 User is offline   Coltaine - 

• First Sword

Posted 10 October 2016 - 10:21 PM

It is a better subject for a discussion than hotdogs and sandwichs :p

#10 User is offline   Kanese S's 

• TMI Frigate Bird of Low House PEN
  • Group: Mott Irregulars

Posted 09 March 2017 - 08:35 AM

Mykar Blackheart, on 10 October 2016 - 03:32 AM, said:

This may be long, so i apologize in advance and will contain spoilers.

So, i've just finished the first book and i can certainly say i enjoyed myself. So i'll list what i loved, what i hated and then questions.

I WILL RESPOND QUITE BELATEDLY TO ALL OF THESE, YOUNG PADAWAN.

Loved:
1) Anomander Rake: Awesome guy, super badass. He is now one of my favorite fictional characters.
2) The magic system. i'm no warren expert but i love the way its unique, mysterious, and powerful.
3) The description of power. Whether its a character in the vicinity of two giants clashing or if its just magic flowing through someone. The description is makes it feel so real and amazing.
4) The Apsalar/Sorry plot-line. I started out just being annoyed by her but i've grown to like the characters story.
5) Even though we only caught a glimpse of the crimson guard. They seem like interesting people and i cant wait to read more about them.
6) That first chapter about the Tyrant...the one that ended in "The Jaghut Tyrant walked into the light" was f@#king beautiful and poetic. My favorite from the book. He felt like a true villain.

1) Yes. He is. Mine, too.
2) No one is a warrens expert. Except maybe K'rul. Maybe. But yes, the magic system is super cool.
3) I agree.
4) Oh, just you wait.
5) You will.
6) First of many. True villains, not Jaghut Tyrants.

Hated:
1) The Tattersail and Ganoes romance. felt rushed and fake. (This is why i dont normally enjoy romance novels. It feel like this most of the time.)
2) The Tyrant felt so imposing and scary. I felt so cheated when i didnt get to see him at full power battling Anomander.
3) This might just be my copy of the book, but sometimes the name is spelled "Coll" and sometimes "Coil"
4) I was really hoping to see an epic clash or a massive final battle but i never really got it. I seriously hope this isnt the case for the rest of the series.
5) To be honest, i wasn't really emotionally invested in any of the characters. I was intrigued though. But i desperately want to be attached and to have my heart strings pulled at.
6) Ganoes. I really hated this character, i know he's important but i just didn't like him. He just always seems like the guy that's always around when cool shit is happening, but he'snot really a part of it.
7) I'm getting the feeling that we are supposed to at least kinda like the Bridgeburners, but they felt kinda dull to me. I expected more from them.

1) They both just nearly died and Tattersail is heartbroken. Ganoes is, in Worry's words, this young doofus in puppy love with an older woman. Also it's basically his first big adventure and he's very flattered that this powerful mage lady is interested in him. It's not really a traditional romance so much as a "hooking up."
2) Nobody wanted to let him get to full power. That was the point.
3) Probably just your copy. Mine has it spelled consistently throughout.
4) Oh ha ha, you'll see. The first book is kinda weird in that respect.
5) Again, you'll see. GotM is more about the awkwardness of good people being on opposite sides of a conflict, IMO.
6) I wonder if you'll be saying the same thing later.
7) Can't wait to quote this post at you when you get further in the series, lol.

Questions:
1) Please don't laugh but i highly suspect that the Jaghut Tyrant may have just been possessed by another being or force. The Jaghut just doesn't seem like crazy warlike beings. was it a possession?
2) Sorry/Apsalar seems to have retained every skill The Rope used while possessing her, Did she? or just traces ?
3) I notice that the author says House of Paran when talking about noble houses, but says things like High House Death, when talking abut gods and warrens and all that. Does it mean that the High Houses are basically organizations of powerful gods, ascendants and mages ruling over a particular warren?
4) Kruppe speaks in the third person. Is this because he's not really Kruppe but The Eel? its like he's talking about someone else when he says "Kruppe"

1) Most of them aren't crazy warlike beings. I also want to believe that most humans aren't horrible assholes... but the ones who are have so much effect, you know?
2) Read and find out.
3) Different things than noble houses. It's complicated and you'll figure out more about how the Deck of Dragons works as you go along. Sorta.
4) Yes, he does. He just likes doing that. You'll also notice that he always uses purple prose; that is, he speaks overly dramatically at all times. It's why his parts are so fun to read.
Laseen did nothing wrong.

I demand Telorast & Curdle plushies.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users