Malazan Empire: R. Scott Bakker - Prince of Nothing information - Malazan Empire

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

R. Scott Bakker - Prince of Nothing information

#21 Guest_EnlightenmentHK_*

• Group: Unregistered / Not Logged In

Posted 26 August 2005 - 03:53 AM

I've just read the first book, but got to say, one of the best fantasy works I've read in quite a while. His characters have depth and life too them. His story epic, complex, well thought out and well played. Yet epic as it is, he can convey it without a cast of thousands. One of the first books in a long time that I haven't had to scramble to an appendix every 20 pages or so. (Much as I love Erickson, he's one of the worst culprits when it comes to that). He can convey scale and scope while concentrating on just a few characters. Allows an intimate understanding of them, while still telling a grand tale.

His take on the Prince character, if not unique, is definately a breath of fresh air. Finally an uber-character whose powers seem reasonable, are well written out, and convincing.

I'll get the second as soon as I finish Midnight Tides.

#22 Guest_Edge_*

• Group: Unregistered / Not Logged In

Posted 26 August 2005 - 09:00 PM

Just finished reading the second book, The Warrior Prophet.

Enjoyed the general plot and the battle scenes, but I am finding the "philosophising" bits, for want of a better description, a bit of a drag.

#23 User is offline   No-God 

• Fist
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 27 August 2005 - 06:18 AM

Edge said:

Just finished reading the second book, The Warrior Prophet.

Enjoyed the general plot and the battle scenes, but I am finding the "philosophising" bits, for want of a better description, a bit of a drag.

Oh? I loved it. I loved all the unique ways the characters analyzed situations, and reacted to certain things. Each character was so complex that you could almost predict what they'd do, but to a lesser degree of accuracy than you'd think.

#24 User is offline   First Seguleh 

• Sergeant
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 29 August 2005 - 07:18 PM

I've just read the Warrior-Prophet, and it was excellent. tDtCB had a bit of a problem with an occasionally slow pace and a bit of a non-climax (I'm taking this on trust from people who I've recommended it to; I was so fascinated by the setting that I hardly noticed the rest), but tWP remedies this perfectly. I love the way Bakker can make Kellhus a viable character, as in most cases if/when a character gets that kind of personal power, they tend to disappear from the narrative as a PoV, and, to be frank, they're a bit boring. But Bakker pulls it off with Kellhus, and that makes me happy :)

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users