• You cannot reply to this topic

Just a few questions

#1 User is offline   Mykar Blackheart 

• Recruit
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 24 September 2016 - 02:18 PM

Hello All,

I've just started the series but first

Regardless of what answers I receive I will be continuing the series but there are a few general questions I wanted to ask before moving forward.

If its possible to keep the answers spoiler free I would greatly appreciate it.

1. Do you eventually get attached to characters in the story ? (I'm a big fan of good character development.)

2. I don't mind if there is romance or love stories, I expect there to be some. But are they believable ?

3. How many re-reads before you stop discovering new things in the story ? (I hear this series is amazing upon re-reads)

4. Are the one on one fights as epic as some say ?

5. I've heard that GotM is the worst of the series, is this a big exaggeration ?

6. I figure that the magic system (or most things ) will not be fully explained but will we at least have a decent enough understanding by the end of the 10 book series ?

If these are unacceptable questions to ask so early on, I apologize in advance. But thank you for any insight you veterans can provide.

#2 User is offline   Andorion 

• God
  • Interests:All things Malazan, sundry sci-fi and fantasy, history, Iron Maiden

Posted 24 September 2016 - 02:37 PM

View PostMykar Blackheart, on 24 September 2016 - 02:18 PM, said:

Hello All,

I've just started the series but first

Regardless of what answers I receive I will be continuing the series but there are a few general questions I wanted to ask before moving forward.

If its possible to keep the answers spoiler free I would greatly appreciate it.

1. Do you eventually get attached to characters in the story ? (I'm a big fan of good character development.)

2. I don't mind if there is romance or love stories, I expect there to be some. But are they believable ?

3. How many re-reads before you stop discovering new things in the story ? (I hear this series is amazing upon re-reads)

4. Are the one on one fights as epic as some say ?

5. I've heard that GotM is the worst of the series, is this a big exaggeration ?

6. I figure that the magic system (or most things ) will not be fully explained but will we at least have a decent enough understanding by the end of the 10 book series ?

If these are unacceptable questions to ask so early on, I apologize in advance. But thank you for any insight you veterans can provide.

Hi! Welcome to the forum! Generally speaking questions should be asked in the dedicated book subforums, and you should visit the General Topic subforum only when you are done with the series.

1. Character attachment - lets just say lots of people (including me) have cried because of these books. So yes.

2. Romance is not a dominant feature, but it is present though quite differently from other works

3. Well on my third read I was still picking up new stuff, so...

4. Yes. This series may give you a new definition of epic.

5. GotM was published a decade before the rest of the series and was originally conceptualised as a film script. So the tone of the book is different and there are a few inconsistencies.

6. Magic system is strictly a learn as you go thing

Also be comfortable with the concept of RAFO - Read and Find out. Its the best policy when you have no clue whats going on.

Also standard tips - Do Not google anything, there is a high chance that you will be spoiled. If you are curious about what the characters might look like, here is a link to the Malazan Fan Art Galleries which are arranged by book to avoid spoilers

#3 User is offline   Coltaine - 

• First Sword

Posted 24 September 2016 - 06:22 PM

1. Agreed

2. There are a lot of great Bromances Posted Image

#4 User is offline   Kruppe of Darujhistan 

• Justly Vilified
  • Cheating Hood since 1955

Posted 25 September 2016 - 07:51 PM

1. There are characters I loved from the start and still love, though many of them left me disappointed in their actions, but i can't but love them still. There are characters I thought I liked but came to hate them. And by hate, i mean, despise. There are characters that I hated from the start and came to hate them even more. There are characters that I admire, if only because the choices they had were all bad choices, and if they chose to do the worst, I could not really fault them, knowing that I may too have done the same. There are characters who do things I don't understand, and still don't, but they've left a huge impression on my mind.

Characters a lot like the real characters I know in life, whom I hate, love, admire, am in awe of, am disappointed by. Sometimes all at once. Real characters.
What is not forbidden is mandatory.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users