Malazan Empire: A New Journey Begins... - Malazan Empire

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

A New Journey Begins... How and why i started this series.

#1 User is offline   Mykar Blackheart 

• Recruit
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 24 September 2016 - 01:36 PM

Hello All,

Just introducing myself actually and explaining how I got into the series.

I've always been a huge fantasy fan since I read "Pirates of the Deep Green Sea" and "The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe". But after a while it started to feel a bit repetitive; like the tropes of LOTR and Wheel of Time were being re-used constantly.

Then I encountered ASOIAF which changed all/most the things I got tired of and provided me with a fresh new look at fantasy and I loved it! I just couldn't get enough But alas the series is incomplete and so in a few months I was right back to square one. The problem was that ASOIAF had spoiled me for regular vanilla fantasy (no insult to vanilla lol)

It was around that time I started looking for the next fantasy series to get lost in, I wanted:

1. Epic GrimDark Fantasy (as epic and as dark as I could get)

2. A Complex and intricate plot

3. Political Intrigue

2. Complex and intricate Storyline

3. Multiple POVs and a larger than average cast of characters

4. Big battles, cool warriors, and awesome abilities

5. gods

6. An extreme amount of magic wasn't a necessity but I wouldn't mind it at all

But above all I wanted something that would stimulate my mind the way ASOIAF did, I wanted to create my own plot theories, I wanted to solve sub-plot mysteries, I wanted something I could re-read, and I wanted a series that would keep me occupied for a while...I needed it or I would die of boredom.

It got to a point where I started creating my own fantasy world (which is coming along nicely I might add)

Then I heard about Malazan Book of the Fallen. And based on everything I've heard from the dedicated fanbase told me that this was the series I've been searching for. But it was soooo hard to get into the first time I attempted it. The story was confusing, the characters were unlikable, nothing was really explained and so I felt disappointed that I'd never find my new favorite fantasy series (so to speak).

But, all the reviews by dedicated readers and re-readers couldn't all be lying about this series being amazing, could they? Naaahhh. so I tried again (I even read the prologue of Deadhouse Gates which was suggested to me by a fan), and again. It want until about my fourth attempt that I got past the 200 page mark which ive been told is basically the first checkmark for GotM and things started to get interesting:

1. There was a battle (not as big as I'd hope but still good)

2. There was magic (some interesting stuff)

3. There are plots and conspiracies that have already begun by the time we pick up the first book.

4. There was gods and lesser gods

5. There was an assassins/theives battle on the rooftops of a city

6. I met a character that I'm really looking forward to seeing more of: Anomander Rake (I really hope he doesn't die too soon)

...etc.

Unfortunately I still don't fully get what's going on, and I'm still not exactly attached to any character (except for my interest in Anomander and Dragnipur) but regardless I am interested and looking forward to experience the epicness I've heard so much about.

I will have questions so I hope there are people here willing to answer.

#2 User is offline   Andorion 

• God
  • Interests:All things Malazan, sundry sci-fi and fantasy, history, Iron Maiden

Posted 24 September 2016 - 02:38 PM

View PostMykar Blackheart, on 24 September 2016 - 01:36 PM, said:

Hello All,

Just introducing myself actually and explaining how I got into the series.

I've always been a huge fantasy fan since I read "Pirates of the Deep Green Sea" and "The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe". But after a while it started to feel a bit repetitive; like the tropes of LOTR and Wheel of Time were being re-used constantly.

Then I encountered ASOIAF which changed all/most the things I got tired of and provided me with a fresh new look at fantasy and I loved it! I just couldn't get enough But alas the series is incomplete and so in a few months I was right back to square one. The problem was that ASOIAF had spoiled me for regular vanilla fantasy (no insult to vanilla lol)

It was around that time I started looking for the next fantasy series to get lost in, I wanted:

1. Epic GrimDark Fantasy (as epic and as dark as I could get)

2. A Complex and intricate plot

3. Political Intrigue

2. Complex and intricate Storyline

3. Multiple POVs and a larger than average cast of characters

4. Big battles, cool warriors, and awesome abilities

5. gods

6. An extreme amount of magic wasn't a necessity but I wouldn't mind it at all

But above all I wanted something that would stimulate my mind the way ASOIAF did, I wanted to create my own plot theories, I wanted to solve sub-plot mysteries, I wanted something I could re-read, and I wanted a series that would keep me occupied for a while...I needed it or I would die of boredom.

It got to a point where I started creating my own fantasy world (which is coming along nicely I might add)

Then I heard about Malazan Book of the Fallen. And based on everything I've heard from the dedicated fanbase told me that this was the series I've been searching for. But it was soooo hard to get into the first time I attempted it. The story was confusing, the characters were unlikable, nothing was really explained and so I felt disappointed that I'd never find my new favorite fantasy series (so to speak).

But, all the reviews by dedicated readers and re-readers couldn't all be lying about this series being amazing, could they? Naaahhh. so I tried again (I even read the prologue of Deadhouse Gates which was suggested to me by a fan), and again. It want until about my fourth attempt that I got past the 200 page mark which ive been told is basically the first checkmark for GotM and things started to get interesting:

1. There was a battle (not as big as I'd hope but still good)

2. There was magic (some interesting stuff)

3. There are plots and conspiracies that have already begun by the time we pick up the first book.

4. There was gods and lesser gods

5. There was an assassins/theives battle on the rooftops of a city

6. I met a character that I'm really looking forward to seeing more of: Anomander Rake (I really hope he doesn't die too soon)

...etc.

Unfortunately I still don't fully get what's going on, and I'm still not exactly attached to any character (except for my interest in Anomander and Dragnipur) but regardless I am interested and looking forward to experience the epicness I've heard so much about.

I will have questions so I hope there are people here willing to answer.

Basically this series has everything you want and more. Just accept that you will not understand everything, and that this is perfectly ok

#3 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 24 September 2016 - 04:03 PM

That.

And welcome!
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#4 User is offline   Whisperzzzzzzz 

• Reaper's Fail

Posted 24 September 2016 - 05:27 PM

You're in for a great ride. And the best part is you don't need to wait in a queue when you want to go on a second time!

#5 User is offline   Mykar Blackheart 

• Recruit

Posted 24 September 2016 - 07:00 PM

This all sounds very amazing. I cannot wait to get home and attack those books....(I'm actually at work right now but don't tell anyone sshhhhh)

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users