Malazan Empire: Part way through - few questions (spoilers) - Malazan Empire

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Part way through - few questions (spoilers)

#1 User is offline   Noxos 

• Recruit
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 08 September 2016 - 11:41 AM

Ok so first off I very much enjoy that things are not explained and that you're just kind of left to figure things out from context etc., so I only want to know the following if it's been revealed please :rtfm: (I read Gardens of the Moon about a year back so I've forgotten some of it - going to get around to reading an in-depth summary soon)
I'm only up to the point where Icarium and Mappo went down into the underground temple or whatever it is in the high priest of shadow's "lair" and are reading through ancient books about assorted menial subjects.

1) What is Kalam's motivation (and Fiddler and the rest of the squad) in wanting to kill Laseen and what is her motivation in wanting to eliminate the squad? (as she tried to do with their suicide mission in "Gardens..." Is it just that she sees the bridgeburners as being loyal to the old emperor and wants to get rid of everyone who does not feel personal loyalty to her?
2) What are Icarium and Mappo's motivations/goals? I have some vague idea that they're headed to the "convergence" in the desert but nothing beyond that. Has it been explained at all? I can't recall but the writing is so dense I may have missed something (not a putdown at all, I like his writing style).

Thanks!

This post has been edited by Noxos: 08 September 2016 - 11:48 AM

#2 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:Football

Posted 08 September 2016 - 02:58 PM

View PostNoxos, on 08 September 2016 - 11:41 AM, said:

Ok so first off I very much enjoy that things are not explained and that you're just kind of left to figure things out from context etc., so I only want to know the following if it's been revealed please :killingme: (I read Gardens of the Moon about a year back so I've forgotten some of it - going to get around to reading an in-depth summary soon)
I'm only up to the point where Icarium and Mappo went down into the underground temple or whatever it is in the high priest of shadow's "lair" and are reading through ancient books about assorted menial subjects.

1) What is Kalam's motivation (and Fiddler and the rest of the squad) in wanting to kill Laseen and what is her motivation in wanting to eliminate the squad? (as she tried to do with their suicide mission in "Gardens..." Is it just that she sees the bridgeburners as being loyal to the old emperor and wants to get rid of everyone who does not feel personal loyalty to her?
2) What are Icarium and Mappo's motivations/goals? I have some vague idea that they're headed to the "convergence" in the desert but nothing beyond that. Has it been explained at all? I can't recall but the writing is so dense I may have missed something (not a putdown at all, I like his writing style).

Thanks!

1. Whelp, the BB view Laseen as attempting to kill all of them in both Pale and Darujhistan. So... not wanting to be murdered is a pretty good rationale. Read and find out more.

2. Read and find out. This is you breaking into the middle of a story kind of material.
Trouble arrives when the opponents to such a system institute its extreme opposite, where individualism becomes godlike and sacrosanct, and no greater service to any other ideal (including community) is possible. In such a system rapacious greed thrives behind the guise of freedom, and the worst aspects of human nature come to the fore....

#3 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 08 September 2016 - 04:38 PM

View PostNoxos, on 08 September 2016 - 11:41 AM, said:

1) What is Kalam's motivation (and Fiddler and the rest of the squad) in wanting to kill Laseen

Early in the book they say it's for the BB's being nearly wiped out at Pale.

and what is her motivation in wanting to eliminate the squad? (as she tried to do with their suicide mission in "Gardens..." Is it just that she sees the bridgeburners as being loyal to the old emperor and wants to get rid of everyone who does not feel personal loyalty to her?

RAFO.

2) What are Icarium and Mappo's motivations/goals? I have some vague idea that they're headed to the "convergence" in the desert but nothing beyond that. Has it been explained at all? ...

Iccy and Mappo weren't in Gardens. As of that point in DG, all you need to know is that they're travelling around looking into things Iccy sort of remembers, and some shapeshifters are around causing trouble.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users