• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Favorite Moments Prazek & Dathenar

#1 User is offline   Knowing 

• Corporal
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 20 August 2016 - 05:03 PM

Prazek & Dathenar

I've glanced at a few threads regarding this book, and after having just finished it myself last week I still find myself reminiscing over these two characters. It's funny how Erikson can turn certain characters through a novel. By that I mean at first, upon the bridge I despised the fucks. They were long worded pretentious assholes. Yet the story goes on and I grew to love their exchanges. They used this silly thing we have called language to communicate and dissect such weighted topics which is such a common theme that SE can attack in just a few pages.

It's funny though what really won those two characters over for me was the scene with Hish Tulla commentating on the two, saying how breathtaking their prowess on the battlefield was, only to set up the next big part in their story. Not sure about anyone else but their arrival and interaction with the Hust Legion was one of the best segments of literature I've ever read. All of the tension leading up to the army of convicts receiving their insane weapons and armor. The way they dealt with it was just... awesome lol.

Was hoping for more from them from the final battle, but like always I'm itching for the next chapter in the series.

Anyways thanks SE. Anyone else have favorite scenes, moments or exchanges?
More life may trickle out of men through thought than through a gaping wound.
--Thomas Hardy

#2 User is online   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 20 August 2016 - 08:44 PM

It's been a while, but off the top: Narad Yedan's flash-forwards and accompanying myth epicentering. The entire fall of Dracons Hold. The girl murdering the boy who threw rocks at her at the top of the first battle. Any moment from Rancept's POV.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#3 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 21 August 2016 - 02:41 AM

View PostKnowing, on 20 August 2016 - 05:03 PM, said:

Prazek & Dathenar

I've glanced at a few threads regarding this book, and after having just finished it myself last week I still find myself reminiscing over these two characters. It's funny how Erikson can turn certain characters through a novel. By that I mean at first, upon the bridge I despised the fucks. They were long worded pretentious assholes. Yet the story goes on and I grew to love their exchanges. They used this silly thing we have called language to communicate and dissect such weighted topics which is such a common theme that SE can attack in just a few pages.

It's funny though what really won those two characters over for me was the scene with Hish Tulla commentating on the two, saying how breathtaking their prowess on the battlefield was, only to set up the next big part in their story. Not sure about anyone else but their arrival and interaction with the Hust Legion was one of the best segments of literature I've ever read. All of the tension leading up to the army of convicts receiving their insane weapons and armor. The way they dealt with it was just... awesome lol.

Was hoping for more from them from the final battle, but like always I'm itching for the next chapter in the series.

Anyways thanks SE. Anyone else have favorite scenes, moments or exchanges?

Pretty much agreed on all points.I even enjoyed their discussions more than most of the other philosophical moments.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#4 User is offline   Kellanveds_Herald 

• Recruit

Posted 22 August 2016 - 03:27 PM

For me, it was Caladan Brood going CRAZY on the Envy and Spite. That entire battle scene was just AMAZING.

I also have to admit, I found myself DYING in laughter when Hunn Raal is standing in the fire and I forget the name of the legion solders who were watching, but him masturbating into the flames was PRICELESS! I was just like this is AMAZING, but that may be because I'm sick pervert.

Prazek & Dathenar was pretty good too. I love how they left their post on the bridge and all hell ensued and of course, them interacting with the Hust Legion
Apprentice of Kellanved...

#5 User is offline   Puck 

• Mausetöter

Posted 22 August 2016 - 05:28 PM

"Hunn Raal fucked a cookfire." had me in stitches.

Same for Gothos' "More tea. Less angst." to Arathan.

Tulas enquiring if there was room enough for two additional carcasses in the cellar after discovering Silchas and Scara's 'presents'.

Anything involving Raest.

Bursa's (was it Bursa? I think it was him) opinion of Spinnock, culminating in wishing Telorast would just eat him alive.

Basically, many, many of the smaller things.

Also, Sharenas taking action against the other Legion captains. That entire chapter was beautiful. And then, after dreading that I'd not care for the Deniers at all, the entire part of Glyph and his followers slowly becoming Edur. Basically, everything that happened in that forest had me on the edge of my seat. It was beautiful.

I also liked the part when Wareth got introduced into the story.

And also, there's the absolute inability of Emral and Rise at playing in palace intrigue.

And also the moment when Endest vistis the market place and Silanah drops by.

Also, I guess I'm among the few people who really liked the way SE handled the end battle.

Caplo Dreem, Resh and Ruvera encountering the D'ivers (?).

Seeing how Draconus has already started building the wagon.

And I've most certainly forgotten something.

This post has been edited by Puck: 22 August 2016 - 05:31 PM

Puck was not birthed, she was cleaved from a lava flow and shaped by a fierce god's hands. - [worry]
Ninja Puck, Ninja Puck, really doesn't give a fuck..? - [King Lear]

#6 User is offline   Kellanveds_Herald 

• Recruit

Posted 22 August 2016 - 07:12 PM

I LOVED the Sharenas chapter. That had me on edge the entire time.

Also, did LOVE the way the ending battle was done

View PostPuck, on 22 August 2016 - 05:28 PM, said:

"Hunn Raal fucked a cookfire." had me in stitches.

Same for Gothos' "More tea. Less angst." to Arathan.

Tulas enquiring if there was room enough for two additional carcasses in the cellar after discovering Silchas and Scara's 'presents'.

Anything involving Raest.

Bursa's (was it Bursa? I think it was him) opinion of Spinnock, culminating in wishing Telorast would just eat him alive.

Basically, many, many of the smaller things.

Also, Sharenas taking action against the other Legion captains. That entire chapter was beautiful. And then, after dreading that I'd not care for the Deniers at all, the entire part of Glyph and his followers slowly becoming Edur. Basically, everything that happened in that forest had me on the edge of my seat. It was beautiful.

I also liked the part when Wareth got introduced into the story.

And also, there's the absolute inability of Emral and Rise at playing in palace intrigue.

And also the moment when Endest vistis the market place and Silanah drops by.

Also, I guess I'm among the few people who really liked the way SE handled the end battle.

Caplo Dreem, Resh and Ruvera encountering the D'ivers (?).

Seeing how Draconus has already started building the wagon.

And I've most certainly forgotten something.

Apprentice of Kellanved...

#7 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 24 August 2016 - 05:13 PM

View PostRakesBastard, on 22 August 2016 - 07:12 PM, said:

I LOVED the Sharenas chapter. That had me on edge the entire time.

She took a really weird turn, didn't she...

Am very curious where SE is going with her whole shamanistic cannibal thing.

#8 User is offline   Andorion 

• God
  • Interests:All things Malazan, sundry sci-fi and fantasy, history, Iron Maiden

Posted 24 August 2016 - 05:36 PM

Every Skillen Droe and K'rul moment was gold.Awesome mixture of comedy and information

#9 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 24 August 2016 - 07:55 PM

I really enjoyed Korya's segments. There was a lot going on around her that was just fascinating.

#10 User is offline   Coltaine - 

• First Sword

Posted 24 August 2016 - 09:15 PM

Renarr stabing Vatha Urusander. Oh man. Fanatastic scene.

Skillen Droe and K'rul, Sharenas killing Legion officiers, Brood vs. Envy and Spite, Prazek and Dathenar, ... Too much epic, crazy stuff ^_^

#11 User is online   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 24 August 2016 - 09:36 PM

I liked that after his absence for most of the book we finally reunite with Osserc and he proves himself to be every bad thing we ever thought he was.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#12 User is offline   Puck 

• Mausetöter

Posted 24 August 2016 - 11:09 PM

^ Indeed. That, and how Scara proves to be the opposite, keeping his cool. Loved that chapter. Scara's really grown on me even with what little we see if him in FoD and FoL, especially considering the contrast to his portrayal in MT and RG.
Puck was not birthed, she was cleaved from a lava flow and shaped by a fierce god's hands. - [worry]

#13 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 25 August 2016 - 12:06 AM

View Postworry, on 24 August 2016 - 09:36 PM, said:

I liked that after his absence for most of the book we finally reunite with Osserc and he proves himself to be every bad thing we ever thought he was.

Totally. Tho to be fair, dragonrape probably isn't much fun.

#14 User is offline   Andorion 

• God

Posted 25 August 2016 - 02:29 AM

Osserc is fulfilling every assumption I ever made about him - basically that he was an arrogant thoughtless idiot

#15 User is offline   nacht 

• Mortal Sword

Posted 25 August 2016 - 04:48 PM

View PostAndorion, on 25 August 2016 - 02:29 AM, said:

Osserc is fulfilling every assumption I ever made about him - basically that he was an arrogant thoughtless idiot

Actually in the end, he got a dose of humility.
Also, at some point he really becomes powerful. He goes toe to toe with Anomander, destroys an Azath, forsakes the Liosan and overall seems to grow into a person reluctant to use power.
Interesting titbit at the end where whoever ends up as the gate gets power back in return.

#16 User is offline   Andorion 

• God

Posted 25 August 2016 - 05:04 PM

View Postnacht, on 25 August 2016 - 04:48 PM, said:

Also, at some point he really becomes powerful. He goes toe to toe with Anomander, destroys an Azath, forsakes the Liosan and overall seems to grow into a person reluctant to use power.
Interesting titbit at the end where whoever ends up as the gate gets power back in return.

Actually, if you look at Osserc in the non-Kharkanas book, he is stuck in a collapsing warren/dimension, he is trapped in a sword, he headbutts an Azath and gets hurt badly and then has to run from Draconus, he is being drained by a sorcerer, he is supposed to distract Rake but fails miserably, and he gets into a staring contest with Gothos for an entire book.

#17 User is offline   Coltaine - 

• First Sword

Posted 25 August 2016 - 05:15 PM

View PostAndorion, on 25 August 2016 - 05:04 PM, said:

View Postnacht, on 25 August 2016 - 04:48 PM, said:

Actually, if you look at Osserc in the non-Kharkanas book, he is stuck in a collapsing warren/dimension, he is trapped in a sword, he headbutts an Azath and gets hurt badly and then has to run from Draconus, he is being drained by a sorcerer, he is supposed to distract Rake but fails miserably, and he gets into a staring contest with Gothos for an entire book.

Becoming a god and staying a fool. The story of Ossercs live :)

#18 User is offline   TheRetiredBridgeburner 

• House Knight

Posted 30 August 2016 - 06:04 PM

View Post- Coltaine -, on 24 August 2016 - 09:15 PM, said:

Renarr stabing Vatha Urusander. Oh man. Fanatastic scene.

Probably still mine. "Vatha Urusander, there will be justice." - absolutely chilling.
- Wyrd biğ ful aræd -

#19 User is offline   gandrin 

• Lieutenant
  • Interests:Deciphering truth and escaping into fantasy

Posted 31 August 2016 - 08:07 PM

As much as I liked P&D, I have a hefty fear that they are planning on just walking off the bridge and killing themselves, immediately. I'd be surprised if they survive to the next book at all beyond a passing comment that they have disappeared.

Overall though, I was disappointed in the "favorite moments" department. The book was too dark with only VERY rare bright points. Very little comic relief. Very little heroism or hope. Yes, I know, this is "fall of light". I get it, it's "impending doom" for the whole book, I get it. But it makes for drudgery for much of the book.

Who and what, exactly, were we supposed to be cheering for? Looking back, I think the only true heroes are 1) K'rul 2) um.... it gets hard after that. Maybe Wareth? P&D but I think they are no longer heroes and will probably kill themselves. Endest Silann?

The characters who fail to be heroes:
Arathan and Spinnock Durav essentially disappeared from this book (which is weird because I think they are the ones with possible interesting futures in the later books).
The Thel Akai were pretty good but essentially pointless.
The several young kids are all broken, but I guess we are supposed to see them grow in typical Erikson fashion. So we'll see.
The several lady-warriors are all broken.
Anomander and Caladan have both managed to remain closed to us now after two (or should I say 12, or maybe 17?) books.

As for favorite moments not yet mentioned: Every scene with Raest. I wonder when he became a Tyrant? Or did he really?

#20 User is offline   Puck 

• Mausetöter

Posted 31 August 2016 - 08:22 PM

View Postgandrin, on 31 August 2016 - 08:07 PM, said:

As much as I liked P&D, I have a hefty fear that they are planning on just walking off the bridge and killing themselves, immediately. I'd be surprised if they survive to the next book at all beyond a passing comment that they have disappeared.

They both make it to The Crippled God, so unless SE decides to pull something funny, I doubt it they'll die in the next book. On the other hand, Dathenar is female in tCG, so who knows :)

The Thel Akai were pretty good but essentially pointless.

My guess is, that was exactly the point of the exercise.

Anomander and Caladan have both managed to remain closed to us now after two (or should I say 12, or maybe 17?) books.

I don't think that should come as a surprise. As Gallan has pointed out in FoD, this is not about Anomander and his importance has been played up in the time between this and the MBotF.

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users