• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

No Man's Sky

#501 User is offline   Khellendros 

• Saboteur of High House Mafia
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 24 May 2021 - 07:46 AM

View PostBriar King, on 24 May 2021 - 04:07 AM, said:

Ha I now see what you were asking about! I thought you were losing it asking about the Normandy. That’s kinda cool crossing over like that but no I haven’t seen one yet. I’m still in opening system working on my hyperdrive and no other players have come into my system yet.

In order to get it, you need to play in the new Expedition mode. You start off on the same planet as everyone else and there are specific goals you need to complete. In this expedition (the second one they’ve done), you start with a ship with no hyperdrive but you also own a freighter from the very beginning with a fully upgraded hyperdrive. You then have to complete goals ranging from rendezvousing at specific planets to learning a certain number of alien words, etc. This Expedition is much easier than the first one, it took me about 7 hours total to complete (the first one took about 30!).

This post has been edited by Khellendros: 24 May 2021 - 07:50 AM

"I think I've made a terrible error of judgement."

#502 User is offline   Khellendros 

Posted 24 May 2021 - 07:48 AM

Oh, once you complete the Expedition, you can also access the rewards (like the Normandy) in all your other saves as well through the Quicksilver merchant on The Anomaly.

#503 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile
  • Group: Malazan Artist

Posted 28 May 2021 - 06:04 AM

It's like every other nms addition though - nice looking, but ultimately just wallpaper change. I put so many hours into this game but the recent additions don't add any change to gameplay, they just add a new look after completing some fairly lengthy collection missions.

I just wish it all felt more.. populated I guess. Warping five galaxies away and landing on a planet with the same bases and containers dotted around and the same races, standing in the same places.. I think maybe I just reached the limits where it remains entertaining.
So that's the story. And what was the real lesson? Don't leave things in the fridge.

#504 User is offline   Khellendros 

Posted 31 May 2021 - 01:50 PM

View PostTraveller, on 28 May 2021 - 06:04 AM, said:

It's like every other nms addition though - nice looking, but ultimately just wallpaper change. I put so many hours into this game but the recent additions don't add any change to gameplay, they just add a new look after completing some fairly lengthy collection missions.

I just wish it all felt more.. populated I guess. Warping five galaxies away and landing on a planet with the same bases and containers dotted around and the same races, standing in the same places.. I think maybe I just reached the limits where it remains entertaining.

Expeditions, especially the first one, were definitely more aimed at new players, giving them a shortcut to experiencing many of the things on offer.

They have allowed me to visit a lot of player-created bases, though (due to the rendezvous points putting everyone in the same place). I’ve seen some truly brilliant creative ones, funny ones, and immensely useful for the rest of the journey ones. So that community side of things has been nicely highlighted with them.

The Expedition storyline, such as it is, is also hinting at some potentially big change/addition further down the line, though I also may be reading too much into it!

#505 User is offline   Obdigore 

• ThunderBear

Posted 02 June 2021 - 12:49 PM

View PostKhellendros, on 31 May 2021 - 01:50 PM, said:

View PostTraveller, on 28 May 2021 - 06:04 AM, said:

Expeditions, especially the first one, were definitely more aimed at new players, giving them a shortcut to experiencing many of the things on offer.

They have allowed me to visit a lot of player-created bases, though (due to the rendezvous points putting everyone in the same place). I’ve seen some truly brilliant creative ones, funny ones, and immensely useful for the rest of the journey ones. So that community side of things has been nicely highlighted with them.

The Expedition storyline, such as it is, is also hinting at some potentially big change/addition further down the line, though I also may be reading too much into it!

They do indeed hint at bigger changes, I guess we'll see if something happens.

There is a patch that dropped today, but no patch notes yet. Rumors suggest a flora update and new stuff on stations in each system, but I guess we'll see whats up when the host comes up.

Sean always tweets small a small emoji or two with update, and this one is the light going through a crystal much like on Dark Side of the Moon album by Pink Floyd. Could be a ton of things :)

Edit - they just posted patch notes. Looks like big lighting changes, more tamable/ridable creatures, cave changes, and they added a big new 'station overseer' node to stations. Biggest feature I see is you can now save your freighter build design, and if you get a new freighter, just reproduce it on the new freighter from the save instead of having to rebuild everything, which is pretty cool.

This post has been edited by Obdigore: 02 June 2021 - 01:14 PM

Monster Hunter World Iceborne: It's like hunting monsters, but on crack, but the monsters are also on crack.

#506 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile

Posted 02 June 2021 - 02:28 PM

And rain.. more weather effects. Damn but they do keep at it.

If I wasn't into Subnautica right now I'd have look.
So that's the story. And what was the real lesson? Don't leave things in the fridge.

#507 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile

Posted 08 September 2021 - 09:05 AM

So massive update, this time I fired it up for a look. I have a love/hate relationship with this game. On the one hand I've spent a lot of time building and exploring and upgrading everything; on the other, I find the updates make a lot of pretty new things that look great in screenshot, but add pretty much zero to the gameplay, while still retaining a kind of amateur, clunky feeling to the whole endeavour.

So now there is a settlement management aspect. You find one, take over as Overseer, improve buildings with materials and make the inhabitants content.

This is weird to me because the most fun part in this game is finding new stuff and exploring - and now there's something that keeps you on one planet. It's good to see some new buildings, but the inhabitants stomp about on set paths not doing a lot, and the buildings have timers on so you have to wait while they get completed. And it still crashes frequently.

I really want to like it, I'm always on the fence between investing more time and getting back into it, and putting it away for good as something that just isn't ever going to be what I'd like it to be.

This post has been edited by Traveller: 08 September 2021 - 09:06 AM

Share this topic:

• 26 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users