• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Pushing Ice - Alastair Reynolds

#1 Guest_bluesman_*

• Group: Unregistered / Not Logged In

Posted 21 June 2005 - 02:08 PM

Couldn't find the other thread-

From the synopsis.

"Some centuries from now, the exploration and exploitation of the Solar System is in full swing. On the cold edge of the system, Bella Lind, captain of the huge commercial spacecraft Rockhopper IV, helps fuel this new gold rush by attaching mass-driver motors to organic-rich water-ice comets to move them back to the inner worlds. Her crew are tough, blue-collar miners, engineers and demolition experts. Around Saturn, something inexplicable happens: one of the moons leaves its orbit and accelerates out of the Solar System. The icy mantle peels away to reveal that it was never a moon in the first place, just a parked spacecraft, millions of years old, that has now decided to move on. Rockhopper IV, trapped in the pull, is hurled across time and space into the deep, distant future, arriving in a vast, alien-constructed chamber. And the crew are not alone, for each chamber contains an alien culture dragged into this cosmic menagerie at the end of time. The crew of the Rockhopper IV know a lot about blowing up comets, but not much about first contact with ultra-advanced aliens. They have two things to worry about: can they (and their new alien allies) negotiate their way through each harrying contact? And can they assimilate the avalanche of knowledge about their own future - including all the glittering, dangerous technologies that are now theirs for the taking - without destroying themselves in the process? "

Looks like yet another winner from Alastair. Makes me wonder if he's a machine with this writing pace Posted Image.

Incidentally Amazon has a double pack offer with the soon to be released(hopefully) Judas Unchained by Peter F. Hamilton. Actuallly they had an alternative pack with soon to be released Olympus by Simmons. Basically the triumvirate of Sci Fi at the moment Posted Image.

Just wondering why they insist on releasing post summer. Wouldn't these books be excellent for summer reading at the beach?

BM

#2 Guest_bluesman_*

Posted 12 October 2005 - 12:25 PM

Ok so it's out.

Reviews?

bm

#3 Guest_Skar_*

Posted 19 October 2005 - 02:11 PM

bluesman said:

Ok so it's out.

Reviews?

bm

Amazon tells me it's not out yet...

#4 Guest_Fool_*

Posted 19 October 2005 - 02:38 PM

Huh, i read revelation space and wasnt particularly impressed.

But this sounds really interesting.

#5 Guest_bluesman_*

Posted 19 October 2005 - 10:03 PM

I made the mistake of reading the wrong column about release dates. Apparently it's soon due though.

At least Judas Unchained is out (Hamilton). Costs a bit though.

bm

#6 User is offline   caladanbrood 

• Ugly on the Inside
  • Group: Team Quick Ben

Posted 19 October 2005 - 10:14 PM

It is out. In paperback and all. Has been for several weeks. Unless we're getting advanced copies here:Erm:
O xein', angellein Lakedaimoniois hoti têde; keimetha tois keinon rhémasi peithomenoi.

#7 Guest_bluesman_*

Posted 19 October 2005 - 11:50 PM

My bookstore said 26th today but I supsect England gets it first. Reynolds is English after all :D.

I loved Century Rain (I know it got mixed reviews here but). Personally I think he's getting better and better with each book.

Together with Hamilton,Simmons and Stross (and Williams) Space Opera has never been better than now imho. I hated the long wait for something worthwhile but now they just come from everywhere :p.

bm

#8 User is offline   caladanbrood 

• Ugly on the Inside
  • Group: Team Quick Ben

Posted 20 October 2005 - 12:18 AM

bluesman said:

Together with Hamilton,Simmons and Stross (and Williams) Space Opera has never been better than now imho. I hated the long wait for something worthwhile but now they just come from everywhere :D

Couldn't agree more. Theres always something just round the corner to look forward too. I would add to that list Iain M. Banks, but his latest offering was a little dissapointing:(
O xein', angellein Lakedaimoniois hoti têde; keimetha tois keinon rhémasi peithomenoi.

#9 Guest_bluesman_*

Posted 20 October 2005 - 12:56 AM

Banks can be uneven but he's definatelly a good writer(from a technical point of view). I still think Against a Dark Background is his best. Don't know if I'm alone in that but I think that story was really good. Would probably work as a movie too.

bm

#10 Guest_Fool_*

Posted 20 October 2005 - 01:08 AM

I liked Look to Windward best by banks, though i havent read Against a Dark Background yet (its on my read pile).

Also, excession was pretty cool just cause there were so many ships in it.

#11 Guest_bluesman_*

Posted 20 October 2005 - 01:36 AM

I wonder how his regular fiction titles are. Wasp Factory seems like hardcore social realism from the synopsis. Sounds like a Scottish version of Kevin Loach :D. Not that it is bad, i sort of like this type of books. They can be slow to read though.

bm

#12 Guest_Fool_*

Posted 20 October 2005 - 02:45 AM

Social realism? Not even remotely. Its a gothic horror comedy type thing. Pretty damn good, too.

I'd also recommend Complicity and the Crow Road.

#13 User is offline   Dagger 

• Interloper
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 31 October 2005 - 03:53 AM

bluesman said:

My bookstore said 26th today but I supsect England gets it first. Reynolds is English after all ;).

I loved Century Rain (I know it got mixed reviews here but). Personally I think he's getting better and better with each book.

Together with Hamilton,Simmons and Stross (and Williams) Space Opera has never been better than now imho. I hated the long wait for something worthwhile but now they just come from everywhere :p.

bm

Agreed, Space Opera hasn't been this good in decades. I dare suggest that we are in a golden age for that sub-genre. And it goes without saying, with Erikson, Martin, and a couple others, epic fantasy may about to experience the same thing.
"I can see my days of not taking you seriously are coming to a middle." - Mal Reynolds

#14 Guest_bluesman_*

Posted 01 November 2005 - 11:31 PM

It has also made me appreciate the library more, many books I would have skipped without them ;).

bm

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users