Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The Malazan Army

#1 User is offline   Svaran 

• Captain
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 21 December 2003 - 05:18 PM

Have you guys noticed that with the glaing exception of the Korbolo Dom and his whirlwind Legion, the Malazan army seems to have a general sense of loyalty amongst themseleves that seems very similar to a small unit and that even though they don't have that spit and polish look about them they still maintain a very strong sense of discipline when dealing with officers who have attained rank through merit. I mean look at the way Ranal is treated with utter contempt but then compare that to the likes of Dujek, Whiskeyjack, Greymane and of course Dassem Ultor. But its a respect that flows on down through the ranks Fiddler is respected by the NCO's of other units because he's a bridegburner but more importantly that he's very experienced and competent.

You can see that Kalam is shocked when he learns of Korbolo Dom's betrayal by responding by saying that he is a fist. And then you see an example of the Malazan discipline when half his legion refuses to defect and are then slaughtered by those who do, of course the worse case is at the end when the Arren Legion voluntairly disarms itself at the command of its High Fist despite the better judgement I'm sure of its senior officers.

Also have you noticed that the Malazan army always seems to be facing numerically superior forces and usaully beats them or gives them an extremely bloody nose before losing; case in point the "Chain of Dogs" Obivously Erickson has based the Malazan Legions on the Roman Legion with a few twists thrown in with Sappers using explosives. But I have to say it works for me.

Any thoughts guys?

#2 Guest_Merkur_*

• Group: Unregistered / Not Logged In

Posted 20 November 2005 - 07:12 AM

I am taking on this old post, since i am very interested in its observations,
and do not find any newer ones apart from the complaint, that each Malazan soldier seems to be a kind of pragmatic heroe.

For me the description of attitude and companionship in the army is one of the finest points of these books and actually are describing the feelings inside a professional army quite well, apart (as noted somewhere) there seems to be no real nutheads in it. (well - maybe Antsy)

As said the organization seems to be modeled after the Roman army, applying the kind of tactics and structure.
There exists a general core-structure, but commanding officers are in agreement with their staff allowed to adjust to circumstances.
That all armys are undermanned strikes fine for me, fighting quite a few times.

If you ever met on-duty professional soldiers (off-duty they mostly are drunk or sleeping, sorry to say) you saw the same kind of pragmatism and phlegmatic approach towards death, and before mission jokes are flying.
On mission you have to trust on your instincts (so you need good drilling), your comrades and most of all your officer to not lead you into wrong direction.
So its clear there is a strange relation to your chief. If he is not to be trusted, as in buying rank, you scourn him, but have to do, what he says anyway, cause no professional army could afford soldiers to choose, whom to obey. Nevertheless you privately flame him endlessly.

But if you know you can trust him, and know he knows how to keep you alive and kicking ass, it is only a small step to adoration, since it is he who provides you anything, like a small god.
So you have to say, even the Dogslayers did, what was expected of them, in keeping loyal to their fist.

As an officer you firstmost have responsibility to your men, to your mission, and to your own life, in this order, but you have to keep distance, since you cant afford to be just "one of the guys", and i found to description of Parans command of the Bridgeburners a very good one. Its a lonesome position to be ranking commander of a fighting unit.
In my opinion Erikson is only the second fantasy author (after Stackpole) who got it right, even if the average soldier in the Malazan army is indeed surprisingly intelligent, but i take this for artists license and some funny reading (if you recall Pickers response to the necromancers in MoI).

I enjoy the military section in the books very much.

#3 User is offline   rofl75 

• Recruit

Posted 12 August 2015 - 08:38 PM

The grave has been undug.

#4 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 12 August 2015 - 08:58 PM

So now we're discussing zombie soldiers?
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#5 User is offline   Ammanas_ 

• Recruit
  • My twitter: @Ammanas_

I play goodgame Empire and Teeworlds, if anyone else does, check me out I'm LK901 on both.

Posted 19 August 2015 - 08:32 PM

View PostAbyss, on 12 August 2015 - 08:58 PM, said:

So now we're discussing zombie soldiers?

Nah, Shurq Ellale.
"[...] I have walked this land when the T'lan Imass were but children. I have commanded armies a hundred thousand strong. I have spread the fire of my wrath across entire continents, and sat alone upon tall thrones. Do you grasp the meaning of this?' 'Yes,' [said Caladan Brood.] 'You never learn."

#6 User is offline   Toc_theyounger 

• Recruit

Posted 21 December 2015 - 06:30 AM

It is certainly a specialty if the Malazan army. If I remeber correctly, Corabb is similarly very impressed this camaraderie and so is that Perish Grey Helm guy. These people only do all this because they all understand that on the battlefield, there is no replacing a good competent and level headed commander, which is why all these marines such as Gesler and Fiddler seem to dislike the nobles. The only exception I know of is Ganoes.Posted Image

#7 User is offline   Kanese S's 

• TMI Frigate Bird of Low House PEN
  • Group: Mott Irregulars

Posted 28 December 2015 - 12:36 AM

View PostToc_theyounger, on 21 December 2015 - 06:30 AM, said:

It is certainly a specialty if the Malazan army. If I remeber correctly, Corabb is similarly very impressed this camaraderie and so is that Perish Grey Helm guy. These people only do all this because they all understand that on the battlefield, there is no replacing a good competent and level headed commander, which is why all these marines such as Gesler and Fiddler seem to dislike the nobles. The only exception I know of is Ganoes.Posted Image

Yeah, and he had to earn their respect.
Laseen did nothing wrong.

I demand Telorast & Curdle plushies.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users