Malazan Empire: Singularity Sky by Charles Stross - Malazan Empire

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Singularity Sky by Charles Stross

#1 User is offline   stone monkey 

• I'm the baddest man alive and I don't plan to die...
  • Group: Grumpy Old Sods

Posted 30 January 2004 - 04:22 AM

This is one of my recent purchases. For those of you who like a load of cool technology, there's definitely plenty of that in here: for example: the heroine has a nanofactory with her that constructs a spaceship escape pod that is powered by a nuclear saltwater rocket [technical note: these are a very cool and utterly insane idea, admittedly no-one's actually sure if they'd work...]; out of her spaceship stateroom.

The plot deals with, amongst other things: what happens when a repressive government encounters a post-scarcity society, post-singularity intelligences, interstellar warfare and time travel.

Stross' writing style is a little breathless. He seems to get a little overexcited about all the neat tech-stuff he's showing you, almost to the point of fetishism. It reminds me a little of William Gibson's early approach to writing about sexy tech - which was okay when I was 16, but grates a little now. He has, on the evidence of this book, a problem with constructing a satisfying ending (this is a vice shared by quite a few writers IMO)

I've read a few of Stross' short stories in the past, and I think his writing probably works better at that length: allowing his style not to outstay it's welcome. That having been said, the universe of Singularity Sky is an interesting one and I will be interested to see what he does with it in the forthcoming sequel.

In brief: I like the book, but I don't think it's going to set the world on fire. Although I have been wrong about this kind of thing before.

ps I met Charles Stross a very long time ago (over a decade ago): he managed to leave a not-so-good impression with me by referring to the particularly British strain of cyberpunk he was writing at the time as: "TechnoGoth".
Exit me uttering, "Arse," under my breath.
I would sincerely hope he's grown out of that sort of thing...

----------------
'On Christmas morning they came downstairs to find that Santa Claus had left them some gits under the tree."

If an opinion contrary to your own makes you angry, that is a sign that you are subconsciously aware of having no good reason for thinking as you do. If some one maintains that two and two are five, or that Iceland is on the equator, you feel pity rather than anger, unless you know so little of arithmetic or geography that his opinion shakes your own contrary conviction. … So whenever you find yourself getting angry about a difference of opinion, be on your guard; you will probably find, on examination, that your belief is going beyond what the evidence warrants. Bertrand Russell

#2 Guest_bluesman_*

• Group: Unregistered / Not Logged In

Posted 13 October 2005 - 09:26 PM

I have to say that after about half the book I'm very impressed. Stross is definatelly a contender for the most impressive new Sci Fi author.

Personally I think this is about as good as Reynolds and maybe even at the same level as Arthur C Clarke. Very fluid writing as well. But there's also other depht, like interesting political analysis and potential future societies.

He obviously has knowledge of real science which helps with the immersion, while of course still being fiction but still. Nothing is totally magical.

I can only see him becoming better and better.
He looks quite cool too. A bit like Peter Jackson.

BM

#3 Guest_Fool_*

Posted 13 October 2005 - 10:49 PM

I got that book from the library. Read a page. Figured theres way too much better stuff out there and returned it.

#4 User is offline   ObsoleteResolve 

• Fist
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 14 October 2005 - 04:31 AM

Stross... OH. I read one of his books recently, the first book in the "Merchant Princes" series or something- a very Amber-esque world. Pretty good stuff, enough that I can't wait for the second to come out in paperback.

.david
-Reading Altered Carbon and I r luving Richard K. Morgan.
"Say what you will about the sweet miracle of unquestioning faith, I consider a capacity for it terrifying and absolutely vile!"- Kurt Vonnegut

#5 Guest_bluesman_*

Posted 15 October 2005 - 09:50 PM

How could one possibly judge any book from one page? The first page hardly says anything about the rest of the book

What's really better btw? I can only think of Alastair Reynolds, Peter F. Hamilton and Mc Leod possibly.

Not much else to choose from at this level imho :D.

bm

#6 Guest_Fool_*

Posted 15 October 2005 - 10:07 PM

Well i read the summary on the back, too.

And looking at the size of my read pile it just seemed like reading what SEEMED like a 500 page mediocre to above-average (certainly not ground-breaking) space opera would be a waste of time.

Too many really good books to read.

#7 Guest_bluesman_*

Posted 16 October 2005 - 06:07 AM

Well. My reading pile is pretty empty at the moment so it wasn't a problem :D.
Mainly because there arent any books out currently by my top authors.

I'll admit that it isn't ground breaking but in my book it's good enough to be up there with Reynolds, Hamilton and Clarke etc. Otoh, one way of keeping those reading piles down is probably to only read truelly ground braking stuff :p.

bm

#8 Guest_Fool_*

Posted 16 October 2005 - 12:34 PM

If you dont limit yourself to SF/fantasy you can read a life time's worth of really good books.

#9 Guest_Jay Tomio_*

Posted 20 October 2005 - 07:13 AM

Big fan of Stross and I think he is one of the chief players in a possible revitilization of Science Fiction (including other authors like Macleod, Wright, among others). I enjoyed Reynolds but I don't think he is quite on that same level (as a writer - he is definitely apt at the field). Stross's best book thus far (and will probably get some Hugo mention next year ) is Accelerando IMHO. It's available free for download here here. I enjoyed both Singularity Sky and Iron Sunrise, but consider Accelerando his very best work.

Regarding his Fantasy related efforts, this is apparently ongoing ot be quit a log nseries, and I rather enjoyed it. It does (as mentioned above invoke a bit of Zelazny; which is a good thing) and I like the possibilities. I'm definitely looking forward to his efforts next year Jennifer Morgue, and Glass House.

Regarding Stross's personality - i have nevr met him but he was definitely kin denough to particiapte i na short interview with me while he had 3 deadlines looking in a couple of months. Thsoe interested can read that here.

Regarding his short work, (again if any are inetrested) last year's hugo award winning short story is here

#10 User is offline   stone monkey 

• I'm the baddest man alive and I don't plan to die...
  • Group: Grumpy Old Sods

Posted 21 October 2005 - 01:27 PM

My comments on his personality were based on a single meeting which is now the best part of 13 years ago...Certain things about him, I'm guessing, will have changed. I've now read Iron Sunrise, which does fix some of the flaws apparent in Singularity Sky and moves things on to the end of the trilogy.

His short stories are interesting and he does have a surprising turn of phrase. I believe Accelerando (which is a lovely word that I believe was coined by Kim Stanley Robinson in his Mars Trilogy) is actually a fixup of some of his shorter works.
If an opinion contrary to your own makes you angry, that is a sign that you are subconsciously aware of having no good reason for thinking as you do. If some one maintains that two and two are five, or that Iceland is on the equator, you feel pity rather than anger, unless you know so little of arithmetic or geography that his opinion shakes your own contrary conviction. … So whenever you find yourself getting angry about a difference of opinion, be on your guard; you will probably find, on examination, that your belief is going beyond what the evidence warrants. Bertrand Russell

#11 User is offline   williamjm 

• Sergeant

Posted 28 October 2005 - 10:06 PM

I like some of Stross' work a lot - "The Atrocity Archives" is great fun and he's written some good short stories (I particularly like "Antibodies" and "A Boy and His God"). Despite that I wasn't too impressed with "Singularity Sky", it seemed a bit derivative and I didn't care what happened to the characters, it's not bad but I wouldn't really recommend it. Some of Stross' comments I've read suggest that he doesn't think too highly of it either.

#12 Guest_bluesman_*

Posted 28 October 2005 - 11:20 PM

Just got started with Iron Storm and it started with a bang to say the least :p. This is how Space Opera should be. Really massive events with multiple plots and twists. Combined with hard tech and epic battles.

I agree that the characters can be a bit shallow but Iron Storm is definatelly an improvement over Singularity Sky. Which imho is very good. Considering how little Space Opera there has been there isn't too much to "derive from" at the moment.

It's quite gritty and dark too. Reading about the coup aftermath reminded me a bit about the coup in Chile. Possibly the intention too.

I've heard alot of good stuff about Accelerado but it seems awfully short. Only 270 pages ;). Compared with Judas Unchained with almost 1000. Though quantity is not necessary quality (except in Hamiltons case).

bm

#13 User is offline   Dagger 

• Interloper

Posted 31 October 2005 - 03:41 AM

I really enjoyed Singularity Sky. Not equal to Hamilton and Reynolds but close enough to keep me reading his stuff.
"I can see my days of not taking you seriously are coming to a middle." - Mal Reynolds

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users