Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Malazan Musings With some questions Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Planck 

• Recruit
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 03 July 2016 - 04:53 PM

I've read The Crippled God (and the whole series) twice now and I think it is absolutely fantastic and having read lots of threads in this part of the forum I just had this urge to post some of my thoughts on this book and parts of the series as a whole.

(I apologise if some of these questions have been asked before).

Firstly, considering the Forkrul Assail's utter contempt for humans, I'm surprised that the Watered exist. Unless I have the wrong end of the stick, Watered are part human and part Forkrul Assail?

The battle at The Shore was superb although it makes me oddly sad that there don't seem to be any Hounds of Light left. There seemed to be four hounds in this book yet it didn't seem like six died in Toll the Hounds? In which case could there still be some out there?

I think it was Withal who commented on the fact that there seemed to be thousands of Tiste Andii. It could have been shock that made him think this, but I thought there were only some 1500 left or something like that? I believe Korlat made some reference to there being that number in Memories of Ice related to the unleashing of Kurald Galain at Coral.

What exactly were the Shriven? Was that just another name for the Kolansii or Watered?

What happened to the dragons after they failed to unleash Tiam? Did they all just die? Did they go back to Starvald Demalain? Are they around but no one mentions giant flying lizards?

I like people's ideas that the point of the last few pages with Fiddler relate to the beginning of the entire series but I interpreted it differently. At some point in this book (can't remember which part exactly) Tavore mentioned that when she talked about The Bonehunters being Unwitnessed it was in reference to this war being "forgotten" as it was just another war in history and some parts of history are more likely to be remembered more than others. I thought that kid talking to Fiddler had "forgotten" about The Bonehunters but remembered things from before like this demon at the bottom of Malaz Bay. (I don't know if this makes any sense but I gave it a shot Posted Image).

#2 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 03 July 2016 - 06:47 PM

View PostPlanck, on 03 July 2016 - 04:53 PM, said:

Firstly, considering the Forkrul Assail's utter contempt for humans, I'm surprised that the Watered exist. Unless I have the wrong end of the stick, Watered are part human and part Forkrul Assail?

Not all Forkrul Assail think alike. The humans are being used. I don't actually remember the various FAs own thoughts on the humans but for the most part it seemed to be a mix of they have a use and in slavery they can be the hand of justice or something like that.

The battle at The Shore was superb although it makes me oddly sad that there don't seem to be any Hounds of Light left. There seemed to be four hounds in this book yet it didn't seem like six died in Toll the Hounds? In which case could there still be some out there?

Not sure if new information has been unveiled in Fall of Light but as far as we know, from what we heard in TTH, there could be an endless amount of Hounds of Light.

At some points they are spoken of as a species that exists like any other. At other times, namely in TTH, they are spoken of as an elemental answer to some kind of need or pressure or maybe a danger. If there exists hounds of shadow there has to be hounds of light. The warrens, uh... finds a way.

I think it was Withal who commented on the fact that there seemed to be thousands of Tiste Andii. It could have been shock that made him think this, but I thought there were only some 1500 left or something like that? I believe Korlat made some reference to there being that number in Memories of Ice related to the unleashing of Kurald Galain at Coral.

Those are just Rake's Andii. There are other Andii spread around the world, like in the Bluerose Mountains and on Drift Avalii. Depending upon how cataclysmic the Tiste Wars became, and how pissed Mother Dark got, there could be thousands or millions more Tiste Andii living in Kurald Galain to this day.

What happened to the dragons after they failed to unleash Tiam? Did they all just die? Did they go back to Starvald Demalain? Are they around but no one mentions giant flying lizards?

I don't think that any of Esslemonts post Crippled God books mention a dragon tsunami so most likely they just went back to where they came from.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users