Malazan Empire: The UK Politics Thread - Malazan Empire

• 87 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The UK Politics Thread (Formerly the Brexit thread)

#81 User is offline   D'iversify 

• First Sword
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 24 June 2016 - 07:48 AM

I am the Onyx Wizards

#82 User is offline   Mezla PigDog 

• Malazan Yo Yo Champion 2009
  • Group: Mezla's Thought Police

Posted 24 June 2016 - 07:52 AM

Consequences for the country and the union aside I'm genuinely concerned for my household finances. This makes my UK based job in EU regulation slightly precarious (and my section is currently the lowest profit maker AND I'm on maternity leave) and Mr PigDog works for an Anglo/German/French engineering company who get a lot of money from the European Space Agency. Can see that money going to the German and French sites first now.

It's weird to have family members who voted leave despite me telling them these worries in advance so it's a bit of a fuck you from them. When they come to meet my son I might put the begging platter out for contributions to his future! We have our answer for next time they ask to borrow cash at least.
Burn rubber =/= warp speed

#83 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 24 June 2016 - 07:54 AM

Well Farage has already said that they wouldn't be putting £350m a week into the NHS which pretty much half the country could have told you. He said this only minutes after the result. He has also said that they won without a single bullet being fired, despite someone being murdered by a guy who had taken all his hate and fear to heart. Despicable human being.

In other news, Cameron will be stepping down in October and while a lot of people will be happy about this I fear that he may look like a good PM in retrospect, purely based on his successors.

I hope that, because this referendum was just a glorified opinion poll, the vote goes to the house of commons and is soundly defeated. If Cameron is already stepping down he might do it anyway as a last "screw you."
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#84 User is offline   Coltaine - 

• First Sword

Posted 24 June 2016 - 08:09 AM

And now PM Cameron no more. I did expect that.

Will the Trump-look-alike Boris Johnson now follow?

#85 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 24 June 2016 - 08:18 AM

I hope this spurs a torie collapse

Eta - by this I dont mean I want the ukip an co to.come in, I want labour to resurge and hopefully repair some of the damage the tories have done to our public sector (a distant hope)

Listening to the radio this morning is depressing. Already the DUP and SF going at it. We dont need this shit to start again.

This post has been edited by Macros: 24 June 2016 - 08:20 AM

#86 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl
  • Interests:Redacted

Posted 24 June 2016 - 08:32 AM

Fuck's sake, UK. You went full retard.
Debut novel 'Incarnate' now available on Kindle

#87 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile
  • Group: Malazan Artist

Posted 24 June 2016 - 08:38 AM

Holy hells. This is what happens when you let the majority decide something.

I've come into work to find a load of smug halfwits that think that this is a good thing.
So that's the story. And what was the real lesson? Don't leave things in the fridge.

#88 User is offline   Gorefest 

• Witness

Posted 24 June 2016 - 08:47 AM

Fuck.

Just fuck.

Excuse my French.

Oh wait.

This post has been edited by Gorefest: 24 June 2016 - 08:47 AM

Yesterday, upon the stair, I saw a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today. Oh, how I wish he'd go away.

#89 User is offline   Egwene 

• Emperor

Posted 24 June 2016 - 09:07 AM

It hurts to say 'I told you so' :D

Well, it is going to be an almighty mess for a lot of people if they put this through Parliament.

Was thinking of a shop not far from here that imports all its goods from the continent - I would not be surprised if they closed down within the year. I also see a lot of people leaving the UK who don't want to be part of the intolerance that this result is based on. Likely this will leave to the breakdown of the UK - with Scotland having another referendum and Northern Ireland seeing a resurgence of the Troubles.

I'd like to think that one or two newspaper editors will have a bad conscience. I very much blame the tabloids for spreading such a negative 'anti anyone who looks like they were not born here' campaign over the last year or so. They may just have been out to sell papers with headlines that fed into their customers phobias but, intended or not, they are responsible for much of this result and its consequences. Especially amongst the very elderly there are a lot of people who believe that if it is printed in the newspapers it must be true.

In search for voting statistics, I came across this page - pre-referendum, they listed three age-based prognosis - based on these, had they added another for voting turn-out higher amongst older voters, the graph would have been pretty spot on to what happened:

http://www.express.c...ferendum-brexit

I am pretty sure that when votes are analysed they will show a comparatively higher turn-out amongst older voters.

It is interesting to see people talking about being willing to bear short-term hardship for longer-term gain...

Isn't this exactly why they want to oust the Tories and get out of Europe? I.e. both are asking us to make short-term sacrifices to keep long-term gain?! Seems to me that it is the illusion of instant gain that has spurred this vote. I do not believe that those who voted 'leave' think that it will really affect them in any negative way. There will be a lot of rude awakenings in the weeks to come.

Hope I will be proven wrong - being able to say 'told you so' is no consolation :D

Edited: the emo was definitely meant to be a sad one, not a happy one at all!!!!

This post has been edited by Egwene: 24 June 2016 - 12:58 PM

#90 User is offline   D'iversify 

• First Sword

View PostTraveller, on 24 June 2016 - 08:38 AM, said:

Holy hells. This is what happens when you let the majority decide something.

I've come into work to find a load of smug halfwits that think that this is a good thing.
"But thanks to Farage, Boris and company, we'll be able to have our cake and eat it, rather than having to share with pesky foreigners".

"Yes, but unfortunately due to budget cuts brought on by economic recession and the withdrawal of European funding, the cake will now primarily be composed of human waste and children's tears".

"But at least it's an Independent British cake!"

In other news, using a sawn-off shotgun to treat an ingrown toenail is also an excellent idea.
I am the Onyx Wizards

#91 User is offline   TheRetiredBridgeburner 

• House Knight

View PostTapper, on 24 June 2016 - 07:35 AM, said:

On the plus side, the UK Independence Party just lost its official raison d'etre.

Every cloud and all that!
- Wyrd bið ful aræd -

#92 User is offline   Khellendros 

• Saboteur of High House Mafia

Posted 24 June 2016 - 09:10 AM

View PostTheRetiredBridgeburner, on 24 June 2016 - 05:57 AM, said:

Just seen the region by region figures - Leave won everywhere except London and Scotland. And by more than 10% in most regions.

I don't know what to say. The country seems to have used this as a vote to express its anger and disillusionment, but if we follow through and leave the EU none of that will be fixed. In fact, it will just hand more power to the government the country is so angry with.

I'm so disappointed. I've never felt more disconnected from my own country. This is like waking up after the last general election to find the Tories had won, only worse. The country didn't learn, did it?

Not just hand over more power, but hand over more power to the ultra right faction of the Conservative party. Congratulations, working class. But more than that, congratulations Labour Party on singularly failing to inform the people you are supposed to represent. And congratulations Cameron, you total dickhead, for demonising the European Union and scapegoating them for every failing of your government when it was convenient to do so, you shorttermist twat. You reap what you sow, but as ever, it will be the people who suffer. Not just of the UK, but of Europe as a whole ultimately.

Maybe I'll start a petition for a London independence referendum, maybe we can join up as a Scottish territory (not that they'll have us). I (half) joke, but I'm so angry and disappointed.
"I think I've made a terrible error of judgement."

#93 User is offline   Silencer 

• Manipulating Special Data
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Malazan Book of the Fallen series.
    Computer Game Design.
    Programming.

Posted 24 June 2016 - 09:17 AM

Welp, can't wait to see what happens, now that Britain has done the equivalent of electing Trump but with more immediate consequences that can't be fixed by just electing someone better.

What the fuck, UK?

Shinrei said:

<Vote Silencer> For not garnering any heat or any love for that matter. And I'm being serious here, it's like a mental block that is there, and you just keep forgetting it.

#94 User is offline   Khellendros 

• Saboteur of High House Mafia

Posted 24 June 2016 - 09:26 AM

On the plus side, I assume the leavers will now be building one hospital every week? After all, that's where they said the EU money should go. Oh no wait, they also feel the NHS should be privatised. Oh well, sucks to be us, I guess.

This post has been edited by Khellendros: 24 June 2016 - 09:26 AM

"I think I've made a terrible error of judgement."

#95 User is offline   TheRetiredBridgeburner 

• House Knight

Posted 24 June 2016 - 09:26 AM

View PostKhellendros, on 24 June 2016 - 09:10 AM, said:

View PostTheRetiredBridgeburner, on 24 June 2016 - 05:57 AM, said:

Just seen the region by region figures - Leave won everywhere except London and Scotland. And by more than 10% in most regions.

I don't know what to say. The country seems to have used this as a vote to express its anger and disillusionment, but if we follow through and leave the EU none of that will be fixed. In fact, it will just hand more power to the government the country is so angry with.

I'm so disappointed. I've never felt more disconnected from my own country. This is like waking up after the last general election to find the Tories had won, only worse. The country didn't learn, did it?

Not just hand over more power, but hand over more power to the ultra right faction of the Conservative party. Congratulations, working class. But more than that, congratulations Labour Party on singularly failing to inform the people you are supposed to represent. And congratulations Cameron, you total dickhead, for demonising the European Union and scapegoating them for every failing of your government when it was convenient to do so, you shorttermist twat. You reap what you sow, but as ever, it will be the people who suffer. Not just of the UK, but of Europe as a whole ultimately.

Maybe I'll start a petition for a London independence referendum, maybe we can join up as a Scottish territory (not that they'll have us). I (half) joke, but I'm so angry and disappointed.

Dear Scotland,

Can we come too?

Sincerely

The North (and London).

This post has been edited by TheRetiredBridgeburner: 24 June 2016 - 09:26 AM

- Wyrd bið ful aræd -

#96 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile
  • Group: Malazan Artist

Posted 24 June 2016 - 09:29 AM

View PostSilencer, on 24 June 2016 - 09:17 AM, said:

Welp, can't wait to see what happens, now that Britain has done the equivalent of electing Trump but with more immediate consequences that can't be fixed by just electing someone better.

What the fuck, UK?

Well, just over half the UK. I know, a majority is a majority but 16 million of us didn't want this.
So that's the story. And what was the real lesson? Don't leave things in the fridge.

#97 User is offline   Morgoth 

• executor emeritus

Posted 24 June 2016 - 09:42 AM

Considering how irritated the different European tax authorities have been about the City of London, I wouldn't be surprised if we'll get a new - and this time maybe even successful - push to place it on the EU blacklist. They can finally hang out with the Bahams and Cayman Islands where they belong.
Take good care to keep relations civil
It's decent in the first of gentlemen
To speak friendly, Even to the devil

#98 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 24 June 2016 - 09:59 AM

Couple questions:
I've heard it actually takes a few years of negotiation before the Brexit is actually finalized. Any chance that say in one year a new vote might just reverse this decision?

As Tiste has pointed out, this is essentially a poll -- a pretty exhaustive one, with plenty of apparent power, but nevertheless technically non-binding. And yah I've heard it described as political suicide to defy the popular vote -- but is it really? And aside from those political stakes, isn't one of the points of a representative government to overrule the worst impulses of popular opinion? What exactly would the fallout be?
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#99 User is offline   Morgoth 

• executor emeritus

Posted 24 June 2016 - 10:04 AM

View PostKanyemander West, on 24 June 2016 - 09:59 AM, said:

Couple questions:
I've heard it actually takes a few years of negotiation before the Brexit is actually finalized. Any chance that say in one year a new vote might just reverse this decision?

As Tiste has pointed out, this is essentially a poll -- a pretty exhaustive one, with plenty of apparent power, but nevertheless technically non-binding. And yah I've heard it described as political suicide to defy the popular vote -- but is it really? And aside from those political stakes, isn't one of the points of a representative government to overrule the worst impulses of popular opinion? What exactly would the fallout be?

The new leader of the Tories will either be Boris Johnson, or someone equally pleased with the choice to leave. I suppose if there was a new parliamentary election before the choice is made, and that labour won by a strong margin, and that labour acquired a more pro EU leader, they might be willing to ignore the popular vote. Maybe.

This post has been edited by Morgoth: 24 June 2016 - 10:04 AM

Take good care to keep relations civil
It's decent in the first of gentlemen
To speak friendly, Even to the devil

#100 User is offline   Gorefest 

• Witness

Posted 24 June 2016 - 10:49 AM

View PostKanyemander West, on 24 June 2016 - 09:59 AM, said:

Couple questions:

Even though a referendum technically speaking is not binding, the current government has said throughout the process that they will respect the outcome and act accordingly. The expectation is that, with the resignation of Cameron, the Tories will choose a new leader at their next party conference in October. The new leader will undoubtedly be someone who is in favour of an EU withdrawal, as they will have to guide the country through negotiations. The new leader will then most likely enact article 50, which is the EU legislation that sets in motion a full withdrawal from the EU. Once that process is started, it is very hard to see how it can be reverted even if people wanted it to. So although the actual negotiations will take years (people talk about a full withdrawal by 2020 at the very earliest, probably more like 7 years), when it is set in motion in October, that's it.

As I mentioned above, although technically speaking the result is not binding, all parties agreed to abide by the outcome. Once a new, pro-leave PM is in place (possibly *shudders* Boris Johnson), it is hard to see it being stopped from there on in. It is more likely that the EU itself will change or break up before the negotiations finish than that the UK will do a U-turn.
Yesterday, upon the stair, I saw a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today. Oh, how I wish he'd go away.

Share this topic:

• 87 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users