Malazan Empire: The UK Politics Thread - Malazan Empire

• 87 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The UK Politics Thread (Formerly the Brexit thread)

#141 User is offline   Kanese S's 

• TMI Frigate Bird of Low House PEN
  • Group: Mott Irregulars

Posted 25 June 2016 - 06:02 AM

View Postamphibian, on 24 June 2016 - 01:54 AM, said:

Another thought: I know a man who will probably vote for Trump come November because he's so financially secure that he could easily ride it a collapse of the economy - which is his estimation of what a Trump presidency would do. The way he spoke of things is very similar to how Tattersail spoke of his reasoning - has house, good job, stable, doesn't need to worry much.

It's a way people think and I speculate that it's a bit more common than pundits acknowledge.

Until the mobs with pitchforks and torches come.

Anyway, nice job ruining your economy, UK. Losing a trillion pounds in a day.
Laseen did nothing wrong.

I demand Telorast & Curdle plushies.

#142 User is offline   Werthead 

• Ascendant
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 25 June 2016 - 10:37 AM

Yorkshire now enquiring if leaving the EU means it will lose its EU funding.

WHAT.
Visit The Wertzone for reviews of SF&F books, DVDs and computer games!

"Try standing out in a winter storm all night and see how tough you are. Start with that. Then go into a bar and pick a fight and see how tough you are. And then go home and break crockery over your head. Start with those three and you'll be good to go."
- Bruce Campbell on how to be as cool as he is

#143 User is offline   Coltaine - 

• First Sword

Posted 25 June 2016 - 10:54 AM

View PostWerthead, on 25 June 2016 - 10:37 AM, said:

First voting and afterwards thinking about the consequences? :D

Explains somehow the overall result.

#144 User is offline   Coltaine - 

• First Sword

Posted 25 June 2016 - 11:30 AM

And Sturgeon makes her move.

http://www.bbc.com/n...rendum-36629331

#145 User is offline   Gust Hubb 

• Necromancer Extraordinaire
  • View gallery
  • Group: High House Mafia
  • Interests:Glass slides with entrapped bits of colored tissue
  • Around, just quiet....er

Posted 25 June 2016 - 12:20 PM

View PostAbyss, on 24 June 2016 - 04:19 PM, said:

Quebec separatists are going to start getting ideas from this.

Fuck.

Texas separatists are going to start getting ideas from this... :D
"You don't clean u other peoples messes.... You roll in them like a dog on leftover smoked whitefish torn out f the trash by raccoons after Sunday brunch on a hot day."
~Abyss

#146 User is offline   Primateus 

• E Pluribus Anus
  • Interests:Stuff, lots of stuff!

Posted 25 June 2016 - 12:28 PM

View PostGust Hubb, on 25 June 2016 - 12:20 PM, said:

Fuck.

But in Texas' case, those would be good ideas, yes?
Screw you all, and have a nice day!

#147 User is offline   Gorefest 

• Witness

Posted 25 June 2016 - 03:27 PM

That's not really what the article says. The Yorkshire areas had been promised by the Leave campaign (obviously a lie again because they cannot make any monetary promises, but Leave were a big bunch of liars throughout) that if theyleft, there would be national compensation for the enormous pot of EU money that had been assigned for area developments.
Yesterday, upon the stair, I saw a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today. Oh, how I wish he'd go away.

#148 User is offline   Nevyn 

• Shield Anvil

Posted 25 June 2016 - 03:55 PM

Regrexit is proving entertaining.

The Brexit vote was dumb and discouraging and worrying. But nice to see some Leave voters openly admitting their mistake and wanting a takeback.

In the states, the reaction to such votes tends to be the dumb voters doubling down on the crazy.
Tatts early in SH game: Hmm, so if I'm liberal I should have voted Nein to make sure I'm president? I'm not that selfish

Tatts later in SAME game: I'm going to be a corrupt official. I have turned from my liberal ways, and now will vote against the pesky liberals. Viva la Fascism.
When Venge's turn comes, he will get a yes from Mess, Dolmen, Nevyn and Venge but a no from the 3 fascists and me. **** with my Government, and i'll **** with yours

#149 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 25 June 2016 - 05:39 PM

View PostGorefest, on 25 June 2016 - 03:27 PM, said:

That's not really what the article says. The Yorkshire areas had been promised by the Leave campaign (obviously a lie again because they cannot make any monetary promises, but Leave were a big bunch of liars throughout) that if theyleft, there would be national compensation for the enormous pot of EU money that had been assigned for area developments.

So many people are still in denial that the leave campaign did any wrong. Like, the lies are so obvious and some of them have been more or less publicly admitted but people are still "hah! Screw em!"
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#150 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 25 June 2016 - 07:39 PM

Any agitation on mainland Europe for exits? Or wishful thinking by the brexit supporters

#151 User is offline   Primateus 

• E Pluribus Anus

Posted 25 June 2016 - 08:02 PM

https://www.theguard...MP=share_btn_fb

An interesting opinion piece. I'm putting it here for further consideration.

#152 User is offline   Gnaw 

• Recovering eating disordered addict of HHM
  • View gallery

Posted 25 June 2016 - 08:38 PM

fucking limeys.

my portfolio lost 8% Friday.
"Between stimulus and response there is a space. In that space is our power to choose our response. In our response lies our growth and our freedom." - Viktor Frankl

#153 User is offline   Primateus 

• E Pluribus Anus

Posted 25 June 2016 - 09:39 PM

View PostGnaw, on 25 June 2016 - 08:38 PM, said:

fucking limeys.

my portfolio lost 8% Friday.

Depending on the former value, this can either be a lot, or just peanuts. In either case, ouch.

#154 User is offline   Stalker 

• House Knight

Posted 25 June 2016 - 10:15 PM

http://www.bbc.com/n...rendum-36629324

Seems like Bregret is setting in. There are a lot of people interested in a do-over now that some of the truths are coming out (NIH funding, economic concerns, etc). It's got to be frustrating to see these people saying that they didn't think that their leave vote would count or that they'd like to change it in hindsight.

#155 User is offline   Werthead 

• Ascendant

Posted 25 June 2016 - 11:54 PM

Latest fun point to debate: Section 29 of the Scotland Act 1998 requires the devolved Scottish Parliament to act in accordance with EU law at all times. Only the Scottish Parliament can agree to repeal that provision. The chances of the SNP agreeing to this are zero. The UK could repeal the Scotland Act altogether, but that would also de facto require ending Scottish devolution, which would certainly lead to a major constitutional crisis, rioting and massive legal challenges in the supreme court and appealing to the European Courts (since we'd still be members of the EU, they would still have a say).

If Scotland votes to leave the UK, of course, that point becomes moot. But if Scotland votes to remain part of the UK, it would still have to agree to that provision. And because the Scottish Parliament still has a mandate from the Scottish electorate to act in their interests (regardless of the impact elsewhere on the UK), they would be perfectly in their rights to not agree. And if the UK government can't make them, the UK de facto cannot withdraw from the European Union. The same clause is in place for Wales and Northern Ireland, and Northern Ireland also voted to remain in the EU.

There is also no provision in law for England to kick Scotland out of the union. So WTF would happen if that issue came up is completely unknown. It would be profoundly undemocratic for the 7.1 million inhabitants of Scotland and Northern Ireland to keep the 57 million people of the rest of the UK in the EU against its will, but it's also undemocratic for England and Wales to pull Scotland and Northern Ireland out of the EU against their will either.

There's also the slight problem that continued membership of the European Union is a cornerstone of the Good Friday Agreement between the UK and the Republic of Ireland, which ended the Troubles. Rebuilding the border between Northern Ireland and the Republic will be very expensive, massively unpopular and reignite sectarian divides that have been (mostly) quite for a generation. Politicians of every stripe are having migraines even thinking about it.

So many people are still in denial that the leave campaign did any wrong. Like, the lies are so obvious and some of them have been more or less publicly admitted but people are still "hah! Screw em!"

In the last 36 hours the Leave campaign has admitted that they won't be spending £350 million extra a week on the EU and they might not be able to halt free movement across borders if they want that trade deal with the EU. This is problematic for them because these were the two cornerstones of their campaign after they were routed from every single other front in the campaign.

With the mood in the country rather ugly at the moment, I hate to think what could happen if the new Prime Minister tries to say some time in the next two years that Britain will not be taking back control of its borders as was promised. Literal riots in the streets are a strong possibility, like there were in 2011 but this time on a much vaster scale.

View PostMacros, on 25 June 2016 - 07:39 PM, said:

Any agitation on mainland Europe for exits? Or wishful thinking by the brexit supporters

Yes. Far-right parties in both the Netherlands and France are arguing for referendra. France is unlikely to do that, but the Netherlands just might.

"Try standing out in a winter storm all night and see how tough you are. Start with that. Then go into a bar and pick a fight and see how tough you are. And then go home and break crockery over your head. Start with those three and you'll be good to go."

#156 User is offline   Hairshirt 

• Lieutenant

Posted 26 June 2016 - 01:33 AM

View PostGust Hubb, on 25 June 2016 - 12:20 PM, said:

Fuck.

It was trending on Twitter already..... #Trexit, lol

#157 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl
  • Interests:Redacted

Posted 26 June 2016 - 06:05 AM

So videos are starting to emerge of Johnny Public being asked why they voted as they did. Unsurprisingly, the general response in Barnsley has been 'we gotta stop them muslims getting in'.

JFC.
Debut novel 'Incarnate' now available on Kindle

#158 User is offline   Mezla PigDog 

• Malazan Yo Yo Champion 2009
  • Group: Mezla's Thought Police

Posted 26 June 2016 - 06:36 AM

View PostMaark Abbott, on 26 June 2016 - 06:05 AM, said:

So videos are starting to emerge of Johnny Public being asked why they voted as they did. Unsurprisingly, the general response in Barnsley has been 'we gotta stop them muslims getting in'.

JFC.

A line of thinking that I saw during the aftermath of the result that had not crossed my mind was that allegedly a lot of young British muslims were voting Leave as they hoped it would help bring in more migrants from Asia when EU migration reduced. It made me chuckle that if this became true then some of the other Leave voters might get a bit of a surprise.

Anyway I can't stomach the fall out from this. It's foolish to gloat at people regretting their Leave vote and it's foolish to assume the Leavers are all racist idiots. I grew up in a very deprived area and have lived in affluent areas for most of the time since 2001. The disconnect is huge, poor people have no voice. Hell, I have no voice, I've never voted on a winning side since I was old enough to vote in 1998 but I have enough earning power and job opportunities to shield me from it (really hope that fucking lasts). I think the swing to the right has to get worse before the masses wake up to where the real help will come from. The left needs to grab the opportunity to re-connect with their old core vote but I don't think they are capable yet. I agree with Corbyn most of the time but he's a weak leader unfortunately (or his leadership style just doesn't cut it in the shallow world we live in). I just hope the swing right doesn't get too scary.
Burn rubber =/= warp speed

#159 User is offline   Werthead 

• Ascendant

Posted 26 June 2016 - 09:13 AM

Corbyn is facing a revolt from half his shadow cabine and a no confidence motion will likely be passed next week. If the Labour Party as a whole returns Corbyn, than that leaves Labour as a toothless opposition which be unable to realistically contest the next election.

British politics are looking utterly disastrous at the moment.

#160 User is offline   Lycaenion 

• Captain

Posted 26 June 2016 - 09:26 AM

Yes. Far-right parties in both the Netherlands and France are arguing for referendra. France is unlikely to do that, but the Netherlands just might.

Yeah, Geert Wilders started talking about a Nexit here in the Netherlands from the moment there was talk about the Brexit. But maybe, with so many people regretting the Brexit already, it won't come to a referendum? I dunno. We should all wait and see what happens to the UK before taking any rash decisions. I would vote remain though. We should try to change the EU from within, get back to what it was originally set up for, and we can't do that if we're outside.
Be Your Own Hero

Share this topic:

• 87 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users