Malazan Empire: The UK Politics Thread - Malazan Empire

• 87 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The UK Politics Thread (Formerly the Brexit thread)

#1001 User is offline   TheRetiredBridgeburner 

• House Knight
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 21 June 2019 - 02:30 PM

View PostMezla PigDog, on 21 June 2019 - 12:56 PM, said:

They don't care about talking to you (us). They are talking to the people who voted for The Brexit Party in the EU Elections.The detached part of my brain is looking forward to seeing how things are going pan out. Two Tories spoiled their ballots which means they can't stomach either Johnson, Gove or Hunt. There must be more. So when Johnson wins how many will decide to ignore their principles for the sake of Tories remaining in power, or what they think will keep them in power or will they break away? Johnson may even dial down his Brexit rhetoric when he is PM. He has form on flip-flopping, I don't think he actually has any personal convictions other than the ascendance of Boris Johnson. I think he's one of few politicians who might carry off a Brexit U-Turn assuming he has the populist vote. The 1922 committee don't have the numbers to force anything inside the Party and their stance doesn't have popular support nationally to be a sensible audience to pander to long term.

I think Johnson is just an opportunist who used Brexit to get to the top. What he will do up there will be intriguing. And potentially country destroying but we've been teetering on the brink for a while now, the issue needs forcing. I read a letters piece in The Guardian and someone said that Boris Johnson isn't interesting in being PM. He is only interested in having been the PM and how much he can rake in afterwards. Spot on.

I have just read what I have written. I knew the Trump comparison was there but that is even more similar than I had considered before. Prepare for a good few years of Boris, peeps.

I hadn't thought of it that way - the "having been PM" bit, but as you say it's spot on.

Ah well, a girl can always go back to drinking.... :)

This post has been edited by TheRetiredBridgeburner: 21 June 2019 - 02:30 PM

- Wyrd bið ful aræd -

#1002 User is offline   Illuyankas 

• Retro Classic
  • Group: The Hateocracy of Truth
  • Will cluck you up

Posted 23 June 2019 - 12:21 PM

Not a single Tory (or most politicians, see the PLP for example) has any convictions they wouldn't happily throw under a bus if it meant they could improve their position personally, and then a distant second is their party, and over the horizon is the actual country they're meant to be serving
Hello, soldiers, look at your mage, now back to me, now back at your mage, now back to me. Sadly, he isn’t me, but if he stopped being an unascended mortal and switched to Sole Spice, he could smell like he’s me. Look down, back up, where are you? You’re in a warren with the High Mage your cadre mage could smell like. What’s in your hand, back at me. I have it, it’s an acorn with two gates to that realm you love. Look again, the acorn is now otataral. Anything is possible when your mage smells like Sole Spice and not a Bole brother. I’m on a quorl.

#1003 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl
  • Interests:Redacted

Posted 24 June 2019 - 07:16 AM

View PostIlluyankas, on 23 June 2019 - 12:21 PM, said:

Not a single Tory (or most politicians, see the PLP for example) has any convictions they wouldn't happily throw under a bus if it meant they could improve their position personally, and then a distant second is their party, and over the horizon is the actual country they're meant to be serving

Nah, people who actually care about serving the country don't join the Tories.
Debut novel 'Incarnate' now available on Kindle

#1004 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 24 June 2019 - 08:45 AM

To be fair I don't think the Tories have a monopoly on that. They're all either narcissistic psychopaths with megalomania tendencies, or they're the kid who was brutally picked on at boarding school making up for a crushing self loathing and lack of self esteem by taking it all out on the world that hurt them.

View PostMaark Abbott, on 24 June 2019 - 07:16 AM, said:

Nah, people who actually care about serving the country don't join the Tories.

People who care about serving the country don't run for office - they join the emergency services or volunteer for unsexy yet desperately necessary charities. And don't humblebrag about it on social media.

Just to be clear, I don't count this as 'social media' as I am not very social and (aside from myself) we have a distinct lack of fuckwits and/or pretentious wankers on here.

And I think that Mez's post above is one of the most incisive things I have read anywhere about this latest turd-polishing episode of the whole sorry mess.

This post has been edited by Tsundoku: 24 June 2019 - 08:47 AM

"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#1005 User is offline   Gorefest 

• Witness

Posted 24 June 2019 - 09:12 AM

Yesterday, upon the stair, I saw a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today. Oh, how I wish he'd go away.

#1006 User is offline   TheRetiredBridgeburner 

• House Knight

Posted 23 July 2019 - 11:30 AM

So the seemingly inevitable happened and Johnson is PM from tomorrow.

A friend shared a meme the other day from four/five years ago heralding the combination of Donald Trump as president and Boris Johnson as PM as a sort of laughable nightmare that would never come to pass.

How did we get here??

This post has been edited by TheRetiredBridgeburner: 23 July 2019 - 11:30 AM

- Wyrd bið ful aræd -

#1007 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 23 July 2019 - 11:33 AM

It's what rich people wanted.

Rich people get what they want

#1008 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl

Posted 23 July 2019 - 11:57 AM

Sim, allow us a proletarian revolution yeah mate? You guys can join in too...

#1009 User is offline   Gorefest 

• Witness

Posted 23 July 2019 - 02:14 PM

The horror, the horror. Surely if you have a change of party leader and that party leader does not at all represent the party policy that that party was originally voted in on, there should be another election? This seems highly inappropriate and broken.
Yesterday, upon the stair, I saw a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today. Oh, how I wish he'd go away.

#1010 User is offline   Illuyankas 

• Retro Classic
  • Will cluck you up

Posted 23 July 2019 - 07:27 PM

There should, and Boris is on record saying that Gordon Brown should have immediately held a GE after he took over from Blair. Personally he should have held one after not instantly throwing the big book of laws about war crimes at Blair, the fucker

On a more current note, hope you're all prepared for No Deal Brexit by Prime Minister Alexander Boris de Pfeffel Johnson! We are fucked
Hello, soldiers, look at your mage, now back to me, now back at your mage, now back to me. Sadly, he isn’t me, but if he stopped being an unascended mortal and switched to Sole Spice, he could smell like he’s me. Look down, back up, where are you? You’re in a warren with the High Mage your cadre mage could smell like. What’s in your hand, back at me. I have it, it’s an acorn with two gates to that realm you love. Look again, the acorn is now otataral. Anything is possible when your mage smells like Sole Spice and not a Bole brother. I’m on a quorl.

#1011 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 24 July 2019 - 04:57 AM

Congrats!

They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#1012 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl

Posted 24 July 2019 - 07:20 AM

View PostIlluyankas, on 23 July 2019 - 07:27 PM, said:

There should, and Boris is on record saying that Gordon Brown should have immediately held a GE after he took over from Blair. Personally he should have held one after not instantly throwing the big book of laws about war crimes at Blair, the fucker

On a more current note, hope you're all prepared for No Deal Brexit by Prime Minister Alexander Boris de Pfeffel Johnson! We are fucked

I've been predicting riots since the day the results of that referendum were announced, this just kind of seals it.

#1013 User is offline   Messremb 

• Honorary Symp of High House Mafia
  • High Artificer of Team Quick Ben

Posted 24 July 2019 - 08:51 PM

What a Cabinet. We are fucked.
"see that stranger's arm crushing the life from him - do you understand? Not an eternal prison for Messremb"

#1014 User is offline   Gorefest 

• Witness

Posted 24 July 2019 - 10:12 PM

It's like Sauron summoning the Nazgul.

#1015 User is offline   Illuyankas 

• Retro Classic
  • Will cluck you up

Posted 24 July 2019 - 10:45 PM

It's OK though guys, Jo Swinson has already ruled out working with Labour* but definitely not ruled out working with the Tories, which she already worked with and voted with the Tory whip more times than Jeremy Cough Hunt

*because she'd rather we No Deal Brexit'd under the Tories then countenance a Corbyn government even when it'll be Remain

#1016 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl

Posted 25 July 2019 - 07:43 AM

View PostIlluyankas, on 24 July 2019 - 10:45 PM, said:

It's OK though guys, Jo Swinson has already ruled out working with Labour* but definitely not ruled out working with the Tories, which she already worked with and voted with the Tory whip more times than Jeremy Cough Hunt

*because she'd rather we No Deal Brexit'd under the Tories then countenance a Corbyn government even when it'll be Remain

Lib Dems are just Tory fucks anyway.

Guillotine when

#1017 User is offline   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 28 July 2019 - 02:14 PM

'Could Boris Johnson be the UK's last prime minister?

He once called for Scots to be barred from becoming British prime minister because "government by a Scot is just not conceivable." And while editor of The Spectator magazine, he republished a poem by James Michie which called Scottish people "vermin" who should be placed in "ghettos".

[...] the former Scottish prime minister of Britain, Gordon Brown, warned that the privileged, Eton-educated, Leave-voting Englishman — all attributes seen as an anathema to Scottish sensibilities — "could be the UK's last prime minister".

Prior to his assumption of office last Wednesday, opinion polls indicated that Scots would vote to leave Britain faced with a Johnson premiership.'

https://www.aljazeer...6WpDJtAChzfAW1Q

If Scotland leaves the UK, but rejoins (or remains in, if they can leave before Brexit actually happens) the EU, will there be a hard border between Scotland and the UK?

Granted, the UK would still have the 'Kingdom' of Northern Ireland... and maybe Wales:

'The Welsh fight for independence was given a huge boost by Boris Johnson being chosen as the new Tory leader and Prime Minister. [...] Westminster leader Liz Saville Roberts said: "During the most serious political crisis in decades, a clown is set to become prime minister. But this is no joke. People will soon realise this isn’t as good as it gets. By electing Boris Johnson, the Conservative Party has given the Welsh independence movement a gift. With the election of Mr Johnson, the question of Welsh independence is not of ‘if’, but ‘when’."

Support for Welsh independence had been growing at a rate of 2% per year from 2014 to 2018, and surged an additional 8% from 2018 to June 2019, to 41%.

https://nation.cymru...nce-is-surging/

Wales voted Leave, so perhaps there wouldn't be any issue of a 'hard border'... unless they feel free to have a second vote (oh horror of horrors, horrid of prickly horrids!...).

#1018 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 28 July 2019 - 02:16 PM

NI voted to remain as well let's not forget.
It's only the fucking english that wanted to leave

#1019 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile
  • Group: Malazan Artist

Posted 28 July 2019 - 03:38 PM

Some of the English. Some.
So that's the story. And what was the real lesson? Don't leave things in the fridge.

#1020 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 28 July 2019 - 04:07 PM

The English are to be referred to collectively, and despised in the same fashion.

You are all Boris Johnson to me

Share this topic:

• 87 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users